• Forum membership has its advantages....

Leafs

The_Hulk

Getting ready to mount 62" Deaver leafs on my 88 Toyota. It's fully caged front to rear but now need to mount the leafs, I am going to be making the spring hangers/shackles and want to get around 18" of travel. My question is how long do I need to make the rear shackles in order to get the travel I want? Any info will very helpfull...Thanks

vwguy

take your leafs set them on the ground upside down and then measure from the highest point to the ground and that distance is a good one
a good way to set it up is at ride height the shackle should be as close to vertical as possible

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

fishd00d

What A Joke
You need to use a shackle from 8"-12" long. I am going to be using a 8" shackle with mine so that the back end still sits pretty low. The longer the shackle the higher the back is going to sit.

Go Big Or Go Home

Greg

Actually, since the leaf pack should be sit close to half-way through its travel at ride height, the shackel should sit at about a 90 degree angle to the spring. Alot of people do it differently, but I had the best results doing mine this way. and I tried a lot of different angles.

Greg

DuffcoDan

We have had best luck when the shackles are 10-12" and mounted in the frame. At ride height the shackle will be pointing back (not so sure the angle in reference to the spring). This is the way to gain the "extra" inches on drop out and keep the truck low.

I have seen one of Johnny Greeves Toyota short course trucks set up with the shackle almost horizontal at ride height.

JasonHutter

Ours on the race truck are 8"s bolt to bolt, and are mounted under the frame. If you were going through the frame 10"-12"s would be about right. I also don't know the exact angle they are at compaired to the leaf springs, but they are angled back to create the droop travel. We are getting about 7.5"s of up travel and 10"s of droop travel.

Jason
Fire Guys Racing

P.S. There is a picture attached that you can see the shackles at ride height.

Attachments

fishd00d

What A Joke
Jason, I think thats how mine are. I am going to pick up some shackles from a guy who had them made and they are 8" and he says I should be able to get about 17" travel with them. We'll find out :)

Also Jason, I got your MO, the video is on the way! Thanks

Go Big Or Go Home

drtdevil93

it depends on which pack you have (yes there are more than one). place the pack upside down on a flat surface and measure from the ground to the first leaf. get me that number, and ill tell you how long to make the shackle

erik deaver (not my real last name)

ntsqd

Does anyone worry about trying for rising rate by clocking the shackles, or is the percentage gain not worth the sacrifice in other areas ? I can see that the amount of droop would suffer in doing this.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

polar

I have 62 inch nationals on my Toyota. Mounted about 4 inches above the frame with 12 inch shackles. It has 17 inches of travel and sits at the same ride height as it did with the stock leafs (went from spring over to spring under).

GO BIG or go home....

-=-POLAR-=-

drtdevil93

sorry dude, i wasnt thinking. the measurement you need is the eye to eye measurement. take that and subtract it from 62. this is how much the spring will grow. if the shackle is under the frame or inside it(where i recommend you put it), multiply the growth by .8. if you are above the frame .9 will usually do it.

for those of you that like formulas, here ya go
under of inside the frame
g * .8 = s

above the frame
g * .9 = s

g=amount of growth
s=shackle length

this is the way i do it, but there are lots of other ways that will work too.

erik

ps. cycle the suspension before you weld the shackle plates together so you wont have a problem with the shackle hitting.

singlehanded

Eric, I put on my deavers and flip shackle this weekend. The u-bolts you guys made were to big in diameter and I dont have a drill press(or big enough drill bit) yet to drill out the holes to the right size. So I used the stock u-bolts and plate and nuts. It was on the 94 blue ranger with baja shop front end coilovers. Should I change the stock u-bolts before I take it offroading?
thanks
John

local

polar

In regards to FISHDOOD's comment that shorter shackles will give a lower ride height: would the shackle really be the determining factor of ride height? As I said before my 12 inch shackles left me at stock ride height. I may be totally wrong but in mounting leafs- shackle length, mounting height and how far back/forward on the frame the shackle is mounted can all play a role in the ride height? Also, cant you make the leafs too bouncy or make them bind if you really screw up (shackle too long/mounted too far back)?

-POLAR-

drtdevil93

john, if you are local, bring the plates to us, and we'll drill them out. if not, i recommend you have it drilled out somewhere, cuz the stock ubolts are just too damn small.

erik

singlehanded

Ya I live in placentia and I'll bring the plates and u bolts by before it hits any dirt/sand. Thanks erik all the guys at deaver were very helpful. U guys rock.

local