Learning about prerunning the Baja 1000

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
Motorsports and travel are hobbies of my wife and I. We have been involved in several different motorsports disciplines at a limited level, but never desert racing. We don't compete anymore, but we still enjoy participating. We have planned and executed several bucket-list projects, to include driving the Nurburgring Nordschleife at speed during Touristenfahrten as part of a European Delivery of my wife's new custom-ordered BMW Track Pack car, and riding the Snaefel Mountain Course on the Isle of Man at speed during the TT on a big-bore Ducati.

For our next project, we'd like to experience the Baja 1000, to include prerunning a portion of the course.

We are putting together a fairly mild 2021 Ranger Supercrew 4x2 with the optional electronic locking rear axle. We have had a set of King 2.5 shocks and coilovers with reservoirs and compression adjusters on order since the day we took delivery of the truck in April. We are expecting them in December. It also has Deaver rear leaf springs, SVC frame-cut Baja bumpers, and 33" BFG A/T tires on Method wheels. We're planning two full-sized spares in the bed, and moving the battery to the extreme right rear corner of the bed, to improve the weight distribution. I've done a fair amount of off-road recovery, to include self-recovery.

We'd like to drive to Ensenada from our home in Texas, experience as much of the Baja 1000 as we can, within the limitations of our vehicle, and then drive it home.

I'm having a little trouble finding information online to learn what we need to know, to pull this off. We will have passports, we will leave the guns at home, and we know to buy Mexican insurance before we cross the border, but we don't know much more than that. Can someone point us in the right direction, regarding online resources? We can tent camp, but hotels would be nice too.

We might be willing to help with pit stops- I'm a retired cop with medical training to the level of First Responder, and I have built and raced cars and motorcycles before, so I'm probably technically proficient enough to be able to help out.

We would look forward to having a beer with some of you next November.

AZ7000'

RDC Crypto

mxben

Solutions
RDC Crypto
There are sections of course your truck will not make it through without some luck and some expert driving skills. But with the right plan you can link some course together with other semi public roads and highway. SCORE does state in there rules that pre running is for race teams only. I would recommend linking up with a team before you go off on your own.

I'll send you a gps file and a list of things we use and take with us pre running if you send me an email - benhagle@haglelumber.com

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
Lots of people do what you want to do. I would suggest finding a group that does this every year and join them. They will be able to help you develop your ride to be successful at traversing the course, just not a race speeds. And don't listen to MXBen. Plenty of Mexican teams prerun in near stock VWs, so a 4x4 Ranger should do fine. Again, just not at race speeds. Enjoy the views while you're at it, there are some spectacular places to see along the way.

McCredie A

RDC Crypto
Lots of people do what you want to do. I would suggest finding a group that does this every year and join them. They will be able to help you develop your ride to be successful at traversing the course, just not a race speeds. And don't listen to MXBen. Plenty of Mexican teams prerun in near stock VWs, so a 4x4 Ranger should do fine. Again, just not at race speeds. Enjoy the views while you're at it, there are some spectacular places to see along the way.

He said 4X2 ranger. Not 4X4.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
There are plenty of areas of the course that you will have no problem getting through in your 4x2 Ranger. Keep in mind the course changes every year to some degree.

I would suggest you find someone to hook up with to show you around a little that has experience. In my opinion, the Baja 400 course from this year should be doable in your rig. Some parts might take some expert driving skills to get through without getting stuck, but once again I wouldn't go alone on your first trip to Baja.

If you use this site to put the word out that you are looking for a group to take a trip with I am sure you will be pointed in the right direction.

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
There are sections of course your truck will not make it through without some luck and some expert driving skills. But with the right plan you can link some course together with other semi public roads and highway. SCORE does state in there rules that pre running is for race teams only. I would recommend linking up with a team before you go off on your own.

I'll send you a gps file and a list of things we use and take with us pre running if you send me an email - benhagle@haglelumber.com
Thank you, Ben. As I said, we may very well volunteer to help someone.

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
Put a locker in it and be fine. Buddy preran his section for San Felipe for the 2017 race, no issues in his 2wd Ranger, no links and no coilovers either!
We intentionally located and purchased a truck with the optional electronic locking rear axle.

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
Does the B1K alternate every other year with the loop/P2P thing? I'm wondering which we will experience in 2022.

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto
Does the B1K alternate every other year with the loop/P2P thing? I'm wondering which we will experience in 2022.
It is supposed to alternate and usually does. Covid messed that up so that got interrupted and we had a few loops in a row. What will it be next year is anyone's guess. Very likely it will be a loop though.

Part of the alternating it year to year deal is to help teams afford to race. A peninsula run every year would price people out. Its way cheaper to race a loop race.

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto
FWIW- you'll enjoy a loop race more. It will be easier and depending on course layout, ya might be able to see the fast guys twice. That wont likely happen on a p2p.

Theres plenty of cool stuff to explore on the upper part of the peninsula.

Can we assume you have seen the Original "Dust to Glory" film?

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
FWIW- you'll enjoy a loop race more. It will be easier and depending on course layout, ya might be able to see the fast guys twice. That wont likely happen on a p2p.

Theres plenty of cool stuff to explore on the upper part of the peninsula.

Can we assume you have seen the Original "Dust to Glory" film?
Yes. It is ironic that his father's film ignited my interest in motorcycling.

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
Can we see pics of aforementioned Ranger?
It's not much to look at yet- the Kings and the upper control arms won't be here until about Christmas. I'll try to take some full pics of it tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20211012_090205.jpg
    20211012_090205.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211013_135339.jpg
    20211013_135339.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0

class5cole

RDC Crypto
Cant wait to see it all done. Im hoping the new Rangers turn into a cult classic as well

I have an 01 Ranger with full open diff. Due to all the hardware in my back, I pre-run slower than anyone in this forum but I like to think I get more time to enjoy it...

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
This is what it looked like with the stock bumpers:

Attachments

• 20210512_013818.jpg
    20210512_013818.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
The Deavers just about doubled the rear travel:

Attachments

• 20210505_091740.jpg