Learning about prerunning the Baja 1000

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
Aare you going to carry a spare tire NOT under the vehicle? If yes, don't worry about a pull pal. Just use the spare as an anchor. But I doubt you will ever get that stuck, especially if you have another vehicle out there with you. And start thinking about packing LIGHT!!! Weight is your enemy.
Thanks.

We're planning two full-sized spares strapped down in the bed, and no spare underneath. I've done PLENTY of off-road self-recovery, so I know how to use a spare as a ground anchor.

I just figured that a Pull Pal (or something similar) would be less labor-intensive.

We've been thinking about weight since before we bought the truck. That's why we searched for this unicorn- a stripper XL 4x2 with the optional electronic locking rear axle. And that's why we're using a 30 pound winch with a snatch block, instead of a 100 pound winch. Even my wife is lightweight.

AZ7000'

RDC Crypto
Short version, you are over thinking it.

I have used $60 Amazon boards under our motor home, more then a few times. A jump box or extra battery, basic tools, shovel, and a good attitude.

Preran the peninsula in 2wd heavy prerunners and never even had a proper shovel. Fried a few sets of the name brand boards… There will be people everywhere. Wait till to see both the pos and the sleeper rigs the locals drive.

Tranquilo amigo. Enjoy the ride!

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
Short version, you are over thinking it.

I have used $60 Amazon boards under our motor home, more then a few times. A jump box or extra battery, basic tools, shovel, and a good attitude.

Preran the peninsula in 2wd heavy prerunners and never even had a proper shovel. Fried a few sets of the name brand boards… There will be people everywhere. Wait till to see both the pos and the sleeper rigs the locals drive.

Tranquilo amigo. Enjoy the ride!
Thank you.

JenMorton

RDC Crypto
Website
jenmortonracing.com
@Sheepdog - You're overqualified to jump in as part of a crew.
Retired police, mechanical, medical training, radio savvy, very nice equipment, articulate, common sense AND with an adventurous wife.
My team will be racing next year at both the Baja 500 & Baja 1000 if you'd like to come out in June for the 500 to spectate and check it out.
See if we're a good match and then evolve into the Baja 1000.
And don't worry about where to go, my hubby is a great team leader and will direct you exactly where to be for a pit and how to access sections of the course that are ideal to pre run in your rig. Consider this your formal invite, cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
Jen, I copy your phone number. You should probably edit your post to remove it now, for your safety. I'll reach out to you and your husband in a bit.

JenMorton

RDC Crypto
Website
jenmortonracing.com
Jen, I copy your phone number. You should probably edit your post to remove it now, for your safety. I'll reach out to you and your husband in a bit.
I tried to edit & can't, but my cell phone is on our website and voicemail so I'm not too concerned. See, you're already proving to be a smart team member ;)

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
I tried to edit & can't, but my cell phone is on our website and voicemail so I'm not too concerned. See, you're already proving to be a smart team member ;)
Contact someone on the web site, an administrator or moderator or something, and ask them to fix it for you.

I don't know about smart- my only marketable job skill was to run towards gunfire when everyone else was running away.

McCredie A

RDC Crypto
You probably do not realize. But the invite you just received is from one of, if not the most well verses Baja veterans. I would highly recommend taking them up on their offer!

I am happy to see RDC helping new people get involved. 🤘

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
I don't know how to ask this without sounding like I'm trying to be funny, but is our Texas state license plate likely to be an issue in Mexico?

Texas used to be part of Mexico, until about 1835. Mexico didn't directly lose Texas to the United States- Texas was it's own nation from 1836 to 1846. Texas didn't become a U.S. state until 1846.

Last edited:

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
Heck, we are practically neighbors.
At 85 mph, yes we are just about neighbors.

When we were looking for a pickup to do this with, we were looking for a 2WD SuperCrew Ranger XL with the optional electronic locking rear axle, preferably in white.

When we started visiting dealers, all we found in inventory were option-bloated 4x4 models (many of them without the optional electronic locking rear axle that we needed), in the XLT trim level and up, some of them priced at $20K more than the $28K unicorn that we eventually found at your local dealer.

We're putting about $10K in King 2.5" extended-travel rear shocks and front coilovers with reservoirs and compression adjusters, Deaver rear leaf springs, Camburg uniball front upper control arms, 33" BFG All Terrain tires on Method wheels with two identical full-sized spares, SVC frame-cut Baja bumpers, and some other odds and ends.

When it's all put together for our trip to the 2022 Baja 1000, we should be in it less than $40K, and it's still knocking down 20 mpg on the highway at 75 mph.

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
So Steve0we, JDDurfey, and I, are all in the central Texas area. Are there others? Who's going to the Baja 1000 next year?

Wanna caravan down there? We're driving our 4-door pickup (no trailer), so once the race haulers are all tucked in at the hotel(s), we could use our pickup for nightly likker runs and the like.

We're planning on splitting up the 21 hour drive to Ensenada into 3 days, but we could do it in 2 if need be.

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
So Steve0we, JDDurfey, and I, are all in the central Texas area. Are there others? Who's going to the Baja 1000 next year?

Wanna caravan down there? We're driving our 4-door pickup (no trailer), so once the race haulers are all tucked in at the hotel(s), we could use our pickup for nightly likker runs and the like.

We're planning on splitting up the 21 hour drive to Ensenada into 3 days, but we could do it in 2 if need be.
When you're in Ensenada, there will be no need to use a truck to get likker. Pick just about any of the hotels I told you about and just about anything and everything is within walking distance.

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
When you're in Ensenada, there will be no need to use a truck to get likker. Pick just about any of the hotels I told you about and just about anything and everything is within walking distance.
No, I meant on the way to Ensenada from our respective homes in central Texas- it's about a three day trip for us.

Last edited: