Learning about prerunning the Baja 1000

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
Our spare wheels and tires showed up today. They both fit flat in the bed with the tailgate closed. Plenty of room left to relocate the battery back there too.

Attachments

• 20211115_105651.jpg
    20211115_105651.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
Fiddling around with the spares this morning- The Deavers work so much better with 200 pounds in the bed, so I think I'd like to leave both spares in there full time.

This should be fine for general transportation, but I'll need to get some proper ratcheting Y-straps before doing any off-roading.

Attachments

• 20211116_090052.jpg
    20211116_090052.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
Have you thought about building a rack to hold them upright behind the cab like some of the Raptor owners have? then you could easily lock them in and they would be completely secured.
We're trying to keep everything low profile.

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto
Fiddling around with the spares this morning- The Deavers work so much better with 200 pounds in the bed, so I think I'd like to leave both spares in there full time.

This should be fine for general transportation, but I'll need to get some proper ratcheting Y-straps before doing any off-roading.

We have those straps at SDHQ also

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
Stand them up and build even a simple metal bar to bolt through on the bed rail anf a loop you can run a chain or cable though to lock them up. Loose things in beds tend to grow legs all over Baja. Plus, upright you will have some more bed space to carry thing you run across down there, like fuel for race cars of newly met friends or broken down gringos seeking help. It happens.

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
Stand them up and build even a simple metal bar to bolt through on the bed rail anf a loop you can run a chain or cable though to lock them up. Loose things in beds tend to grow legs all over Baja. Plus, upright you will have some more bed space to carry thing you run across down there, like fuel for race cars of newly met friends or broken down gringos seeking help. It happens.
If you click on the second picture, you should be able to see the two Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit hardened chains and U-locks run through the wheels.

We're still considering the other options of where to mount the spares, but this is the option we want to explore first.

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
We converted our two center high-mount cargo lamps to amber and blue, and I'll be putting them on a rocker switch in the dash so that I can use them when we're on the off-road portions of the course. It's not Baja Designs, but at least they're clearly visible in the correct colors from quite a ways back behind us, and they're much higher than our tail lights- better than nothing...

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
This is as theft-resistant as I can make them.

The front spare is secured with one Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit hardened chain and U-lock going through the bed floor and looped around a 3" diameter steel frame crossmember that is welded all the way through the left and right frame rails.

The rear spare is secured to the front spare with the other Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit hardened chain and U-lock.

If that's not secure enough, I have a third Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit hardened chain and U-lock that I could use to further secure the rear spare, by running it through the bed floor and looping it around another welded-in steel frame crossmember back by the rear bumper.

I still need to get proper straps to tie the spares down with before we do any off-roading.

Attachments

• 20211118_105215.jpg
    20211118_105215.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211118_105323.jpg
    20211118_105323.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
Amber and blue. It's not Baja Designs, but it's visible from quite a ways behind our truck in the dark, and it's much higher than our tail lights.

Attachments

• 20211116_181327.jpg
    20211116_181327.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto
This is as theft-resistant as I can make them.

The front spare is secured with one Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit hardened chain and U-lock going through the bed floor and looped around a 3" diameter steel frame crossmember that is welded all the way through the left and right frame rails.

The rear spare is secured to the front spare with the other Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit hardened chain and U-lock.

If that's not secure enough, I have a third Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit hardened chain and U-lock that I could use to further secure the rear spare, by running it through the bed floor and looping it around another welded-in steel frame crossmember back by the rear bumper.

I still need to get proper straps to tie the spares down with before we do any off-roading.

Don’t be afraid to pop some D-Rings into the bed floor. You can probably stack those wheels and regain some bead space.
Bed space is a premium and if your chasing a team like it sounds like you are gonna. You’re gonna need all the bed space you can get.

Total Loss

RDC Crypto
My Ranger is at the left of the photo...rack holds 2 35" spares, chase box and telescopic antenna mount with full bed underneath. Chase lights and running lights also. 4 bolts mount to the bed top and easily removeable.

Attachments

• 20210514_083959.jpg
    20210514_083959.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0