Leather CV Boots

Dillon

Reaction
I've seen these on some cars and the pictures of Ivan's truck reminded me about them. Who makes leather CVs for the various cars that run CVs? I'd like to see what kind of custom setup can be done....

DougM

Reaction
I had planned on doing this with my Grand Cherokee to proctect the rubber CV boots that are on it(FT4WD) There too big to fit around the boot and not get caught up in the spindle area. Notice on the race cars and trucks that us them there is ALOT of room around them to spin freely as they are rather large diameter.

I checked Karteck, ORW, etc and all are too big to fit correctly w/o alot of mods.

good luck finding something to fit.

Dillon

Reaction
Do you really need the rubber tho? What if you could run a sealed leather unit and clamp it the same way you would clamp a rubber one. Then just fill the leather one with grease. I was thinking a custom job, not using one a buggy uses but 4 really small ones (2 per CV). I was thinking about it and the boot doesn't do anything other then hold grease, I don't see why it would be real hard to do if its clamped and held down properly.

<image src="http://www.pmibags.com/Ryan/pics/ats8.JPG">

This is a 4Runner CV setup, but the same as on my Tacoma....

tedmales

Reaction
why would someone want to use leather instead of rubber for a cv boot?

life is too short to be small

SANDlessNSeattle

rock solid user name
Reaction
The inner ( rubber ) is your boot ..the outer (leather) is to protect the inner from getting hammered buy rocks, bushes and anything that may hurt your little booties.....Call McKenzie's they may be able to hook you up on some custom ones......

Start drinking till you see double and act single

tedmales

Reaction
i buy the protection of the leather, but if leather was better, why are my 44" super swampers not made of leather?

curt

Reaction
Cause they couldn't find a cow that big for production ;)

Leather sounds like a good idea but I would think it hard to keep from spinning off since it won't support the shape by itself like a rubber boot does...Why not just make rock guards kind of like small mud flaps in front of the are to be protected? With some thought it probably wouldn't even look hokey. Curt

VORRA Class 7

tedmales

Reaction
maybe even a metal mesh over the rubber, that could give the rubber some protection, and also flex, but it would not have the lifespan of the rubber, i think the metal would fatigue

Dillon

Reaction
The rubber CV boots on Toyotas blow, the ribs (see pic) rub together on auto hubs whenever the vehicle is moving, they fatigue really quick when you add any kind of lift.

SANDlessNSeattle

rock solid user name
Reaction
OK you can make whatever you want.....The leather boots are doubled up and sewn on the CV and the axle ends then treated with a "SPECIAL" ( I am not permitted to tell you what it is ) compound that seals the pores in the leather and makes them more ridgid and waterproof........so use what you want to I just was sharing what has worked on 1000's of racecars over the last 15 years or so.......

Start drinking till you see double and act single

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
The real question is why do you have 44" super swampers on your rig? Jk

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

shroom27

Reaction
Maybe you have a tad too much lift. The fins on mine don't touch at all. When I switched to Tundra axles, Matt at Total Chaos replaced the inner boots with one that allows for more angle. The same boots could be bought at Kartek.

Dillon

Reaction
None of the ribs on my truck touch, I just thought a better boot could be had. My inner boots are fine, its the outers I get worried about. I'm gonna run the Total Chaos upper uniball arm soon and kinda worried about the CVs.

michael_loomis

Reaction
boots are WAYYYYY overrated ..... just leave them off , smear the CV's with a healthy dose of Prolong and be done with it!!