Let's keep them honest

Zambo

Reaction
Seems to me from watching the "live tracking pages" during any of these races that the transponders aren't perfect. Lots of missed times. I'd think I'd your going to have qualifying that a more
Reliable system should be used. I was thinking along the lines of those electric eye timers like they use for downhill skiing.

Regardless, the cost of any of this should be borne by the racers who qualify rather than being spread over the rest of the field.

JasonHutter

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
If these timing systems were only a couple thousand dollars I would think the issue would be a no brainer! The track I work at has a timing system with one timing loop and I thought it was in the $18k-$20k range by the time everything was purchased to make it work!

michael_loomis

Reaction
I can't wait to see the threads that come from disputes on the size/price of your pee-er.... Oh wait..

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Website
www.fishgistics.com
If these timing systems were only a couple thousand dollars I would think the issue would be a no brainer! The track I work at has a timing system with one timing loop and I thought it was in the $18k-$20k range by the time everything was purchased to make it work!

Ya thats for everything, it shouldnt be near that much just to add another loop....

johnboy

Reaction
I am suprised how inteligent this thread started out to be, and the level of posters in regards to being actual serious active racers, with an interst in making better the sport they spend huge amounts of money to be involved in. But then came the usual postings that have absolutely no value what so ever.........welcome back to the "posters" that should post, then drink!

slaterracing

Reaction
It must be the accelorometer built into the transponder which could cause you precious seconds if you were in the midst of a last minute use of your PCI pee tube. So you can blame PCI instead of BITD. PCI is striving to correct this problem by engineering a time out device, connected to the transponder device that deducts pee-ing time from your qualifing time. This will be a rental device with no install charge if you preform the installation. Otherwise if a PCI Hottie does the install it will be $100, $75, or $50 depending on the size of your pee-er.

Is jimmy the PCI hottie? If so I'm totally in....

A Vance

Reaction
Robby Gordon, Andy McMillin, and Cameron Steele all posting in the same thread? On Race-Dezert? Is this real life?

Great video Robby, very interesting to say the least and I think it's pretty cut and dry.

I can't speak much about the timing system with BITD but this video does not lie. In the past when my dad would qualify for a BITD race, our timing compared to their timing was off, I mean 3-5 or so seconds, resulting in around 10 starting positions or so for race day. Big Difference. I know the #23 has always been curious about the timing but I think it's time to get it right as this video shows, no pun intended.

Robby, bummer you won't be making San Felipe this year, as well as Andy for that matter. As for you Cameron, game on! Viva Baja!

And Dan in fourth lol again

Jack

Reaction
It must be the accelorometer built into the transponder which could cause you precious seconds if you were in the midst of a last minute use of your PCI pee tube. So you can blame PCI instead of BITD. PCI is striving to correct this problem by engineering a time out device, connected to the transponder device that deducts pee-ing time from your qualifing time. This will be a rental device with no install charge if you preform the installation. Otherwise if a PCI Hottie does the install it will be $100, $75, or $50 depending on the size of your pee-er.

So which size is more or less $? And is that at the start or after instal?

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
Reaction

SWEET..... looks like I'm only out $25!!!

Josh @ DanZio

Chains
Reaction
Website
www.danzioracing.com
Seems to me from watching the "live tracking pages" during any of these races that the transponders aren't perfect. Lots of missed times. I'd think I'd your going to have qualifying that a more
Reliable system should be used. I was thinking along the lines of those electric eye timers like they use for downhill skiing.

Regardless, the cost of any of this should be borne by the racers who qualify rather than being spread over the rest of the field.

The tracker is a completely different system than the transponder. Tracker is GPS monitored by iritrak. The transponder is the little blue chingadera mounded by most a pillars. It has a specific frequency and is picked up by the timing loop.