>>>>let's stop all this bs and think what we need to do<<<<

Lucho

I think this is the last time I'm going to add my $2,450.57 -worth of opinion on the scoring by SCORE, IRC, trackers, satellite, etc.

From the very beginning I said that every racer should have access to his/her tracking data. IRC tells me that it can be done after each race. I suggested they charge $10.00 per copy. (Not for SCORE but for IRC-It would take them probably all day and night to send a copy via the internet to each race entry.). They would provide a KML or KMZ file of the actual course and a file of where your car went during the race. You can sit back and supperimpose both files into Google Earth and see where you missed, if any. I've done this in testing our Trac'n scoring for future events. It works great!

I know the system works. For example: I had several of my friends follow the course here in Cal City and some I asked purposley to speed, cut the course, cut the corner, just to see if the IRC computer can catch them all. It did so far. I had one of the racers, unplug the unit in the car for about ten miles and plug it in. The computer recorded everything.

With respect to speeds on the highway, the sat. reads every three seconds, so between point A and B I could tell how fast each vehicle was traveling. Since it gives information every three seconds, we took an average and if it was above or below the prescribed speed limit that we call for, the computer "AUTOMATICALLY" inserted the penalty based on our parameters. The same for missing the course, a turn or being outside the marked course.

We are still testing, but we are putting it through a lot of testing and so far, it's doing pretty good. I'm convinced that this is the best thing we have and it is only getting better. So quit your bitching and work with them. Give constructive criticism and not just how your unit did not work. I've seen enough (inlcuding ourselves) to know that 95% of the problems of the unit not reading is driver/team/mechanic error. We did have a faulty wire once. It was not working but we tested the unit two days before the event and we were able to get a new wire before the race in San Felipe and it read correctly.

If you expect any unit to work 100% when you are at IRC on Friday night at 4:40 p.m. or 5:30 p.m in Baja, you have no chance. Some of you must get off your arses and get things taken care of first hand, so that you can test it before you leave.

Now, SCORE does not allow IRC to produce anything to the racers. All the data goes directly to SCORE after the race and the penalties are assessed by them. For example: We still don't know if the Team Lawrence, Class 10 win is official. Mikey said he stayed on the course and only missed a couple of turns but nothing big. So we're hoping that it will hold up.
My beef is why is it taking this long?

But let's get off blaming the computer, the black box, IRC, SCORE, your mother-in-law and your first wife. Let's get through this and get ready for the next one.

SCORE finish the results, please.

I'm going to speak to Steve Meyers (of IRC) and suggest that maybe we will host a desert meeting here in California City, as a workshop for anyone who is interested. They're here testing with me and everyone can show up and they will be glad to demonstrate, explain, how to set up, how to wire, how to take off, show you how the whole system works.
If you guys and girls are interested, let us know, we'll be glad to host it and we might even talk someone into delivering 100 cases of beers, drinks, water and lots of COSTCO hot dogs and buns. You can bring your racecar, pre-runner also.

And that's the name of that tune!

Lucho

BITD_1021

Lucho,
You keep bringing IRC into the equation. There's better companies and better system for less money. BITD has transmitters that are set throughout the course. Vehicle must pass between hidden receivers ON THE COURSE and the information is logged. No one knows where the points are located other than BITD. Far less in expense to racers and it works. I think the transmitter costs $90 and the race team owns it. Can't get any easier than that.

IRC's pitch when they came into the game 4 years ago was safety. That doesn't work either. In the beginning racers said they'd pay $275 a race to be safer. Now IRC sells the tracking. Whick works when it wants to work.

Change is needed and needed now.

Next!

Dezman

Lucho,
You keep bringing IRC into the equation. There's better companies and better system for less money. BITD has transmitters that are set throughout the course. Vehicle must pass between hidden receivers ON THE COURSE and the information is logged. No one knows where the points are located other than BITD. Far less in expense to racers and it works. I think the transmitter costs $90 and the race team owns it. Can't get any easier than that.

IRC's pitch when they came into the game 4 years ago was safety. That doesn't work either. In the beginning racers said they'd pay $275 a race to be safer. Now IRC sells the tracking. Whick works when it wants to work.

Next!
You got to be kidding????
That is used for scoring the event!!! That is a transponder!!!

racinteach

Tracking units and in car High def cameras are the hot ticket. I do like the transponder idea, mentioned above. At many of the marathons I have run, they use these sensor and transmitter systems and I have accurate race results and times. Of course no technology is full proof but a back up should also be there to confirm the eletronic data( human).

jrtorres

i like the pre-programmed idea....onboard tracker already has penalties stored and automatically penalized when the course is cut etc. Then when the teams are finish they have their actual time within a few minutes.....it doesn't seem that complicated but then again i don't really know what i'm talking about.

Lucho

Lucho,

Next!
Yes, the transponder system is also very good. I used that many years ago, in fact we were the first to ever use them to score RC Cars (radio controlled off-road cars) at the old Mickey Thompson Off-Road Show in Anaheim, CA. But you do have to place them where you want the checkpoints or finish line to be. The IRC or similar systems make sure you stay on the marked course. For example, from Valley of Trinidad, to the bottom of Matomi Wash, I could have taken any of three different ways to get down there in this year's San Felipe 250. One of them cuts about 17 miles from the actual course.
We need a system that will force everyone to stay on "the marked course."

The reason I keep referring to the IRC is because so far, that's the best system that will work for what I want to accomplish: Trac'n. But I'm open to other systems if they prove to be better, more reliable and cheaper. I do not own any stock in IRC.

There are several companies for the scoring transponders or chips. Champion-Chip and AMB, I've used them both and they are great. But the system that we are currently using will score but also will detect if you're upside down, can communicate with you without you having to push the talk button and now they are coming out with several other features that eventually will include the tracker system, GPS, radio and TV all in one! I think that will be hot.

announcer dude

Leg Rider
bitd 1021

trandsponder is great like lucho said but they only transmit when u go through the
loop at start and finish. they dont track the race vehicles on the course.
i can tell u i have seen irc call the race car during an alert and talk to the
driver. baja 500 2008 tim mortons bike was taken to mexicalli it still had the
tracker irc followed the bike to mexicalli. police found the bike. irc even
google earth and bike was in the back of that truck. they work
listen to lucho he has experience and a checker like myself.

Dezman

One other way is to not tell everyone where the stop checks are at!!! And have more then what they use now Sal knows where all the lines are they have been used for years!!!
You don't have all these problems at a BITD race cause they have enforced the rule from the get go!!!
Sal on the other hand has turned a blind eye to this for as long as I can remember!!! One year at the 1000 my team and Garth Sweetlands team were the only 2 bikes to have our check stubs from the lower loop the honda,kawi, and ktm team were all missing 2 check stubs Sals response was that the checks were not set up when they those teams came through BS!!!
Its a little late to let your nuts hang down now!!!

Lucho

Well guys, the cork had popped, the tomb unsealed, the cheery been busted, the safe cracked, from now on you race a SCORE event, you better stay on the marked course, even if your unit fails, because IRC tracker has an inner transponder which keeps track of you regardless. So don’t speed up on the highway and don’t shave those corners. Follow the “marked” racecourse.
We FINALLY have assurances that when we all race the 1000 in November or any of SCORE’s events, we will all be playing on the same field with the same toys.

HOWEVER! And this is the BIG HOWEVER, If SCORE fails to continue being vigilant with respect to the racecourse and reverts back to the same-old, same-old, look-the-other-way modus-operandi, especially if you are a big time sponsor or own several hotels in Vegas or know Lou Peralta (jeeeze) I will be the first in line to denounce their tactics and chastise them for possibly ruining our sport. And I’m saying this even before we have the official Class 10 results!

TERRARACE

I for one like the idea of friends, family etc. being able to track our car from home or wherever. With weatherman not really doing updates anymore, it sure is nice to get calls on satphone to let us know that the car is stopprd somewhere, and when it gets giong again. Can'y get all that from a transponder only system.

Lucho

I for one like the idea of friends, family etc. being able to track our car from home or wherever. With weatherman not really doing updates anymore, it sure is nice to get calls on satphone to let us know that the car is stopprd somewhere, and when it gets giong again. Can'y get all that from a transponder only system.
Today, with the same sat phone you receive the calls, you can set up your laptop with the IRC TV program and download the info with your sat-phone, then turn it off so you're not hooked up at $1.68 a minute, and still see where your car or bike is. We do this about every half hour during the race. We even track our chase vehicles, like at the 1000 that went down to Cabo. It's good to know where everyone is. And it does not cost very much. It takes about 30 second to download the latest position of your racecar and that of others. Pretty neat!

Laurie

I watched the Baja 500 from the laptop almost everywhere in Mexico. I knew where the truck was and my competitors. We purchased a telcel data card and when we are in Mexico we load it with a weeks unlimited internet service about $20. As long as I had telcel coverage (which continues to improve) I knew where the truck was. I really like the IRC system. I'm sure they could improve but any technology is a work in progress.

Lucho

I watched the Baja 500 from the laptop almost everywhere in Mexico. I knew where the truck was and my competitors. We purchased a telcel data card and when we are in Mexico we load it with a weeks unlimited internet service about $20. As long as I had telcel coverage (which continues to improve) I knew where the truck was. I really like the IRC system. I'm sure they could improve but any technology is a work in progress.
$20.00? Are you kidding? We spend ten times that amount. I better check it out! My good friend in Ensenada, Matias Arjona was one of the first to set up Telcel. I better give him a call. That's really cool.
WE got started with the sat phone when we raced down to Cabo, but it looks like we can save some bucks for these short distance loop races. Thanks!

DanDan

If you expect any unit to work 100% when you are at IRC on Friday night at 4:40 p.m. or 5:30 p.m in Baja, you have no chance. Some of you must get off your arses and get things taken care of first hand, so that you can test it before you leave.
Lucho
I have thought about this for a while and I agree. Everything else on the car is tested and prepped and then at the last minute, you attach the most important piece of electronics on board with no testing?