• Forum membership has its advantages....

Let’s talk Silver State 300

JerryB

Would be nice to have race notes - This is the first non pre-run race we have ever done and it is not a nice feeling not knowing where that next booter will be. I wonder why BITD does not let someone Pre-run and release notes?
BITD pus out a "dangers list" which is usually pretty accurate. Though I have found some of the noted dangers (high speed rollers for example) sometimes are nothing to us in the slower classes. I guess if you hit them at 120 in TT you'd have issues.

MTPyle

Dangers are tough to read. They have to mark things that are a danger to UTV and TT. But they mark the course really well.

experience is key at any race course. We have 5 races at Laughlin now and I feel really comfortable there. I will get faster and faster.

last years Silverstate was our first and we didn’t finish the race. DNF at RM230. I am sure the guys that have ran it 10 times have a huge advantage.

I think Andy Mc just decided to bail on the SS300 due to no pre run. I guess he figures if he had not pre ran it than he could not win.

but I also think the guys that have great notes and a lot of experience can still get caught off guard. Seeing Alexander Ford 6100 on its roof last year at the SS300 proves that. This guys know the SS300 course for sure and they still got messed up. It’s 300 miles, Lots of places to get you.

Mike

MTPyle

JerryB

I agree. I would love to race a course that nobody knows with no pre run. Would be fun to see how everyone can drive compared to just how well they know the course.

for me a lot of desert racing is feeling the personality of the terrain I am in and noticing the cues of when that personality changes. I like to think of the terrain as a person. Some areas are super nice and what they seem on the surface and others are backstabbing B itch’s with an occasional axe murder with tattoos thrown in there. LOL.

Funny. I should create names for these characters and add that to our notes. You have entered Brittney’s area she is easy and fast, next section is Shannon the hairdresser, it looks safe but she will ruin your life so do don’t trust her at all. This could be fun.

Haha We need to come up with a consolidated standard personality list that all race organizations use. With the same Avatar and description. What’s the Axe murders name?

Mike

Ajam1

as far as I can guess the list is from a motorcycle/quad perspective... you need to scale the level based on the vehicle you drive. I.e. TTs will have less issues than a Class 9. after the first 50 miles or so, you'll get a hang of it. as a moto I don't really look at the list while riding, which I usually have in my roll chart holder, but I mostly watch the markers on the course, like triple down arrows, etc... it would nice to have leadnav whisper the notes in my ears.
We used LeadNav at the NORRA 1k last year on the bike (2nd OA moto) and it worked great. Had an Iphone with blue tooth ear buds and/or plugged in. Just put it in backpack or fanny pack.

y2kbaja

The Vorra Yerington (west) course has a section we call "comfortably numb".

MTPyle

I don’t know about going fast thru the water. I have seen a lot of vehicles broke down in the water around Caliente.

Mike

BajaFand

JerryB

I agree. I would love to race a course that nobody knows with no pre run. Would be fun to see how everyone can drive compared to just how well they know the course.

for me a lot of desert racing is feeling the personality of the terrain I am in and noticing the cues of when that personality changes. I like to think of the terrain as a person. Some areas are super nice and what they seem on the surface and others are backstabbing B itch’s with an occasional axe murder with tattoos thrown in there. LOL.

Funny. I should create names for these characters and add that to our notes. You have entered Brittney’s area she is easy and fast, next section is Shannon the hairdresser, it looks safe but she will ruin your life so do don’t trust her at all. This could be fun.

Haha We need to come up with a consolidated standard personality list that all race organizations use. With the same Avatar and description. What’s the Axe murders name?

Mike
Is it a coincidence that the sections are all named after women? 😂

MTPyle

LOL yes. Women are harder to read. Just when you think you have them figured out you find out you don’t. Haha

We had two of our really good pit guys have to bail. They work for a large company and that company said if they go to Vegas they will have to be quarantined for 14 days. So if they go to the race they can’t work for 14 days after. that won’t work.

So we are looking for 2 guys to be chase 2. Looking for guys with experience in pitting and racing. If we have to use these guys something will be wrong so we need guys with some mechanical experience. Private message me if you know of anyone or are interested and think you can do it. We have 4 other guys but just need two more to make sure we have everything covered. We have the chase truck they can use

Mike

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Some were asking about hazard list. Best in the Desert is trying something new this race with their notes. The dangers list that they come out with will be complete with pictures and available as a Facebook video as part of the digital drivers meeting. Donald and the rest of the team have been marking and taking pictures of each danger this weekend for racers and it will be very interesting to hear the feedback from racers on this tech solution to the drivers meeting.

Some were asking about hazard list. Best in the Desert is trying something new this race with their notes. The dangers list that they come out with will be complete with pictures and available as a Facebook video as part of the digital drivers meeting. Donald and the rest of the team have been marking and taking pictures of each danger this weekend for racers and it will be very interesting to hear the feedback from racers on this tech solution to the drivers meeting.
So, the pics aren't available until the drivers meeting on Fri evening?

mxben

Does BITD have a VCP system similar to score? Can they tell when you cut the course? Or trim a section?? Whats the process ?

cynicwanderer

Does BITD have a VCP system similar to score? Can they tell when you cut the course? Or trim a section?? Whats the process ?
they usually have people on the course for all the obvious short cuts and log your number. also, they have readers for the scoring transponder in several strategic places. I also think they log your track in the racingtrax memory at higher resolution, so they could pull it and check if you cut, if there was a protest. most likely they won't do anything unless they catch you in the act or there is a protest by a competitor against you. in any case, it's not like a VCP system where you lose a specific amount of point/checkpoint. in any case, I never tried on purpose...

Last edited:

Andy Mac

Simply Stunning
Dangers are tough to read. They have to mark things that are a danger to UTV and TT. But they mark the course really well.

experience is key at any race course. We have 5 races at Laughlin now and I feel really comfortable there. I will get faster and faster.

last years Silverstate was our first and we didn’t finish the race. DNF at RM230. I am sure the guys that have ran it 10 times have a huge advantage.

I think Andy Mc just decided to bail on the SS300 due to no pre run. I guess he figures if he had not pre ran it than he could not win.

but I also think the guys that have great notes and a lot of experience can still get caught off guard. Seeing Alexander Ford 6100 on its roof last year at the SS300 proves that. This guys know the SS300 course for sure and they still got messed up. It’s 300 miles, Lots of places to get you.

Mike
I did not bail because of the no pre-run rule, just wanted to clear that up so I'm not made out to sound like a huge wuss, haha!

Hope everyone has a fun and safe race!

One-Eyed Peter

I did not bail because of the no pre-run rule, just wanted to clear that up so I'm not made out to sound like a huge wuss, haha!

Hope everyone has a fun and safe race!
I didn't believe that for a minute! On another note, what do you think the chances are for the 500 and/or the 1000 happening this year?