• Forum membership has its advantages....

LICENSING, is it time?

JPBart

This isn't a new topic but I think it's time for this to happen.

I support the idea of licensing ALL drivers for whatever class they are going to race in but especially the faster classes. It is ludicrous that anyone with a wallet can take the green flag with ZERO training or experience. A simple one day class and drive test isn't a lot to expect from racers.

A simple curriculum that talks about the safe ways to drive an off road race car. The safe way to pass and be passed. The etiquette of traffic jams and breakdowns. The proper use of radios and sat phones. Checkpoint procedures and how to manage the adrenaline rush. Proper safety equipment and how to use it. Proper pitting procedures, Etc...

End the class with a drive test that demonstrates the driver can control their vehicle at speed. Establish a minimum speed and skills test.

If someone wants to move up in class they need a new test. Moving to a slower class would not require a new license.

A few locations could be established and a standard fee charged.

J Prich

Replace guarantee with "license". Well intentioned but in my opinion...

Bdub 1020

I think something like having to race 1600 , 10, 12 , 3000 etc before going to class 1 and TL, 7, 8 etc. before you are allowed to go to TT spec or TT. Maybe 10 races along with some kind of instructional coarse to race any unlimited class. Would it be a promoter liability then if something happens..

biffgnar

Isn't it all about money? From a couple different angles maybe. In most cases, promoters need every entry they can get to make the business work. Starting to turn people awhile will just drive up entry cost of people who are licensed. And those people who are licensed probably had to bear extra cost to get licensed. Somebody will have to pay for the classes, instructions, testing, etc. Who else is going to pay for it? A sponsor? Is that good use of their advertising dollars? Is insurance going to give promoters a break on premium if licensing that might help?

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
I have been trying to approach this from... well the other angle......

I have been racing a long time, but who's to say that "I" am qualified to administer driving "tests".

I have recently started a driving school (Not trying to spam RDC, but offering instight), and have had quite a few customers start to come thru my program. I have my own truck, and can break down what drivers are doing right, as well as wrong right off the bat while building speed and momentum for them (re. Safety) as well as driving etiquette

Do I feel comfortable signing off a "fundamentals license" for a new-comer or limited class racer? Absolutely.

Do I feel comfortable failing a "TT license" to a dude that has money and no talent but already purchased a truck? Not really. What happens then? Roger doesn't accept money for an entry fee that helps pay his bills?

I have tools and knowledge to "start" a license program, but who do you grandfather, and who do you make take a course? How much do you charge?

Rob Mac obviously doesn't need any instruction from me. Hahah.

I'm willing to help the sport out in whatever way I can, because this stupid hobby is burned into my DNA. I will never be able to kick it.

harleys dad

this is a hobby sport, no need for knee jerk reaction. Anyone who can afford what they want to race should be allowed to just like the last 49 years of this hobby sport. I dont car if it was RG Rob Mack or Tavo if there truck had been in that situation the same thing would have happened. Dont care who it is corners get blown and people should not have been there. I have no doubt the driver is not a mennice to society because he blew a turn and tried to power out of it like 100 percent of all drivers would have done. I look at it as it is completly unfair people were there, RG with all his skill has lost it in the wash, does he need a test also?? does it make him unskilled and a bad driver? he was damned luckey he didnt kill someone but luck was on his side

ACME

There's a huge difference between a class 8 or 1 of 20 or even 10 years ago, and a modern TT or class 1. 600-800HP, speed, suspension, big tires and ego's are a dangerous mix in inexperienced hands.

Can you run a top fuel at the Winter Nationals, F1, Daytona or Indy if you buy a car few weeks before and decide to race? Now consider in a race like Monaco and toss an equal amount of Subaru's WRX's and a Prius or 2.Then give a few of the F1's to guys that have driven a Porsche and can buy their way in and lets see how it works out...

Blackmutt

I don’t see the need for licensing. There are too many variations to account for in some type of standard test. We don’t race in a controlled environment like a Nascar track. You can have a driver with decades of experience still make a mistake, license or not. Mechanical breakdowns like suspension failures, steering failures or losing a wheel can also veer a car into spectators. Or, the terrain can simply give way due to no fault of the driver. A race course can be hundreds of miles long with each bump, jump and turn different. Even in lap events, the course changes during the race as more cars go through. On top of all that, there is poor spectator judgment. In the states, the rules are tighter so we don’t have the accident exposure like Mexico. There needs to be spectator education there, not licensing for the drivers.

harleys dad

There's a huge difference between a class 8 or 1 of 20 or even 10 years ago, and a modern TT or class 1. 600-800HP, speed, suspension, big tires and ego's are a dangerous mix in inexperienced hands.

Can you run a top fuel at the Winter Nationals, F1, Daytona or Indy if you buy a car few weeks before and decide to race? Now consider in a race like Monaco and toss an equal amount of Subaru's WRX's and a Prius or 2.Then give a few of the F1's to guys that have driven a Porsche and can buy their way in and lets see how it works out...
I dont buy that, the class 8 truck of yesterday had just as much HP as anything running today, it would be delusional to believe Walker Evens Larry Ragland and all the others left huge amounts of horsepower out of those trucks, that technology has been around forever and believe me it was under the hoods of all those trucks. If anything todays vehicles are much easier to drive fact watching kids do so well in TT

Bdub 1020

this is a hobby sport, no need for knee jerk reaction. Anyone who can afford what they want to race should be allowed to just like the last 49 years of this hobby sport. I dont car if it was RG Rob Mack or Tavo if there truck had been in that situation the same thing would have happened. Dont care who it is corners get blown and people should not have been there. I have no doubt the driver is not a mennice to society because he blew a turn and tried to power out of it like 100 percent of all drivers would have done. I look at it as it is completly unfair people were there, RG with all his skill has lost it in the wash, does he need a test also?? does it make him unskilled and a bad driver? he was damned luckey he didnt kill someone but luck was on his side
King Dave I respect you and my comments are not made on the tragedy of last weekend but as a whole issue in off road racing. I have seen crazy stuff at many events. I have been racing my entire life and im in my 50s shhhhhh. Class 10 was where I felt comfortable after working up and realized that. My kids have raced for years and co dawged many times in class 1. While racing class 10 for many years they know they cant just jump in a Class 1 or higher even with many many many races of seat time. You cant just in a class 1 or TT with the technology today just because you can afford to. But some don't have enough common sense to realize this or their ego is to big to race a lower class, Sorry but just telling it like it is. I know many that have gone from class 10 to class 1 and they have told me its scary how much faster things come up on you and the difference in reaction time as well as trying to keep calm so you can make correct decisions behind the wheel.

MARXICO

Corky McMillen, Walker Evens, Sherman Bach, Perry McNeil all veteran established racers would qualify for your silly license ,all were all involved in race related fatalities. No License or lack of experience is going to prevent an accident on a live race course. Stop blaming the driver consider the spectators level of experience , background and culture no license can control that .Stop hating on the players and realize where you are playing the game .You are racing in a third world country and you expect them to use caution tape when running the Bulls ?

Bro_Gill

Corky McMillen, Walker Evens, Sherman Bach, Perry McNeil all veteran established racers would qualify for your silly license ,all were all involved in race related fatalities. No License or lack of experience is going to prevent an accident on a live race course. Stop blaming the driver consider the spectators level of experience , background and culture no license can control that .Stop hating on the players and realize where you are playing the game .You are racing in a third world country and you expect them to use caution tape when running the Bulls ?
You just beat me to it. Some of the greatest drivers in the world have killed spectators in crashes. It in no way diminishes their skills. Walker Evans is one of the best drivers ever, as Parnelli Jones (makes a top 5 list in the world) who has ridden with him would tell you. Don't mistake an accident with an act.

MARXICO

Pretty sure, I was racing that day the incident took place out by wild wash road and Hodge when it was a 70 plus mile course

B. Everett

If I get a race car "license" and I blow a corner then kill someone. Who gets the lawsuit? Too much liability in this day and age....

harleys dad

Pretty sure, I was racing that day incident took place out by wild wash road and Hodge when it was a 70 plus mile course
When it comes to that team you can trust me when I tell you Corky hit no one, that is all I will say

MARXICO

I stand corrected on which Mc Millan was involved in the fatality. The point I am making is that regardless who you are, a license will not prevent an accident

harleys dad

RG was very lucky when he lost control in the was a year or 2 maybe ago, he hit the water hard and lost control, everyone has lost control at 1 time or another, a paper saying one is ok to drive said vehicle wont change that or prevent it. How many have been new and lost control and hit people, I honestly cant think of any who have the money to buy a TT and go out and crash into people