• Forum membership has its advantages....

LICENSING, is it time?

Mark Newhan

This is ridiculous. This topic comes up every time that there is an accident. What if it were a class 11 guy, would everyone be screaming about license then.

If you are down prerunning in your 4 seat buggy or long travel Ford Ranger, and are involved in a fatal accident, what do we do then.

It seams that every time there is a tragic accident, and it involves a trophy truck people are too quick to jump to conclusions. Regarding licenses, Do you drug test? Would it have to be absolutely, 100% ZERO tolerance, How many current driver would pass? ( not calling on anybody inparticular) what if a driver had several glasses of wine and a shot or two to kick off his hobby? Would he pass a blood test if involved in an accident?

Last edited:

SuperRanger

Technology is making trucks very fast and creates new dangers. Irregardless of the 500 and without intending to assign blame (I wasn't there), I think licensing is worth discussion. I love the anything goes Cowboys and Indians nature of off-road but as a culture we have a responsibility to reasonability, if not safety. If I was a newcomer to the sport with deep pockets I would welcome guidance and experience. Nobody I know wants to wreck a six figure truck or hurt their team or fans.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Mark Newhan

Technology is making trucks very fast and creates new dangers. Irregardless of the 500 and without intending to assign blame (I wasn't there), I think licensing is worth discussion. I love the anything goes Cowboys and Indians nature of off-road but as a culture we have a responsibility to reasonability, if not safety. If I was a newcomer to the sport with deep pockets I would welcome guidance and experience. Nobody I know wants to wreck a six figure truck or hurt their team or fans.

The trucks aren't twice as fast as they were 10 years ago... However the crowds are at least twice as big.

No body racing is throwing caution to the wind at any of these events.

Btw, if you have enough money, you could buy a license, which is always the argument from people that tend to be a bit envious of people that do.

Dirty Harry

This is ridiculous. This topic comes up every time that there is an accident. What if it were a class 11 guy, would everyone be screaming about license then.
But it wasn't a class 11 car. And it wasn't a seasoned TT driver. There is no solution that is going to make racing 100% safe, but people confuse that with not doing anything to make it safer at all. There is a lot to be learned from what happened at the Baja 500 this year to keep all of the factors from combining to form another tragedy.

catskinner

There should never be spectators on the outside of a turn, especially one that is a blind corner., Driver error okay, but there will always be driver errors. The Mexicans need to take responsibility for spectator control, especially in the high vis areas at the start.

Mark Newhan

But it wasn't a class 11 car. And it wasn't a seasoned TT driver. There is no solution that is going to make racing 100% safe, but people confuse that with not doing anything to make it safer at all. There is a lot to be learned from what happened at the Baja 500 this year to keep all of the factors from combining to form another tragedy.

What do you consider "seasoned"? One year, two years? 10? I remember several similar incidents in the past where some of the most "seasoned" drivers had a similar result....

And yes, there is a lot to be learned at every race, weather there is an accident or not.

f1sleepy

If you are down prerunning in your 4 seat buggy or long travel Ford Ranger, and are involved in a fatal accident, what do we do then.

It seams that every time there is a tragic accident, and it involves a trophy truck people are too quick to jump to conclusions. Do you drug test? Would it have to be absolutely, 100% ZERO tolerance, How many current driver would pass? ( not calling on anybody inparticular) what if a driver had several glasses of wine and a shot or two to kick off his hobby? Would he pass a blood test if involved in an accident?
I'm not sure what you are getting at with the last paragraph? Are you suggesting there should be a sobriety test, or are you being facetious? I'm genuinely confused. I can't think of a single reason why anyone would be apposed to a drug/alcohol test after an accident. It's common practice in pretty much every job in the US., and any non-race related off-road accident where someone is injured or killed.

SuperRanger

We owe it to ourselves to do something more than nothing to give guidance to newcomers. Nobody gets in the sport to loose money, hurt themselves, or hurt others. A license, validation, coaching, we should do something. Who looses?

Mark Newhan

I'm not sure what you are getting at with the last paragraph? Are you suggesting there should be a sobriety test, or are you being facetious? I'm genuinely confused. I can't think of a single reason why anyone would be apposed to a drug/alcohol test after an accident. It's common practice in pretty much every job in the US., and any non-race related off-road accident where someone is injured or killed.

Just carrying on a conversation. Someone in an earlier post made the point that if drivers were licensed, who is held responsible if there is a similar incident. In desert racing where we run through communities a license would not have changed the outcome of this incident.

Can we be certain that everyone that drives a race vehicle is 100% drug free? Wouldn't that be a condition of a license? If someone had a license and was under the influence of anything, would that nullify any responsibilities of the issuing sanctioning body? These are all relevant questions when the topic is raised.

12LaPaz

It seems like some of you think you're qualified to assess another person's racing ability.... So what you start a school?
I think we should licence people's ability to post on rdc.... more than I do licence the drivers
Now we need a standardised test... written and driving... coaches, tutors, advisors, guidance, more money, more time.... just more b.s. if you ask me.
I think our sport as a whole is pretty safe.

Mark Newhan

We owe it to ourselves to do something more than nothing to give guidance to newcomers. Nobody gets in the sport to loose money, hurt themselves, or hurt others. A license, validation, coaching, we should do something. Who looses?

Then the spectators need to have a license, coaching or some sort of validation. There was so much dialog, argument and people saying the same things after the California 200 incident.

These situations tend to have a ripple effect and people begin to make better decisions as to where to stand (not blaming the spectators).

I'm merely saying that if the driver in this situation had a license, nobody could say that the outcome would've been any different. This driver wasn't "out of control" as he entered the corner. The implication of this thread is that he is inexperienced and shouldn't be in a TT.... I don't buy that notion.

f1sleepy

I see what you are getting at now, thanks. I don't think licensing will solve much in reality, but it does lend a little more legitimacy to the "sport". These incidents seem to happen every year at SCORE races and tend to make the organization look very amateur at best. Every shred of legitimacy gained back would be helpful.

Dirty Harry

I'm merely saying that if the driver in this situation had a license, nobody could say that the outcome would've been any different. This driver wasn't "out of control" as he entered the corner. The implication of this thread is that he is inexperienced and shouldn't be in a TT.... I don't buy that notion.
It was bad luck that there were people on the outside of the turn, but if you blow the corner and go over the bank I am pretty sure that classifies as "out of control".

FAT ROB !

Picture 32.png

This team needs to be banned from competition for actions that are detrimental to the sport of Off-Road Racing !
This team was involved in the big 2016 Mint 400 crash !?! BITD had to red flag that race also.
Now they are involved in ANOTHER serious accident ???
Licensing in these high power unlimited classes will at least let the event promoter and the other racers know how much skill a particular racer has.

There should never be spectators on the outside of a turn...
License spectators? How old do they have to be...

I am not in favor of licensing anyone. A safety clinic for new racers before the races would be a good solution - issue a certificate of completion and require it to race. One for cars and one for bikes, offered contingency day.

JPBart

I didn't start this thread to talk about the tragedy at the 500 or play the blame game in yet another thread. A license doesn't suddenly make anyone accident proof. It would simply be a sign that this person has taken a class and a skills test for a certain level of race car. It might prevent a bonehead rookie mistake that would have cost a life. It might not change anything. How do you prove it either way? You would be hard pressed to argue that it

You can't buy a funny car, show up at a race and get on the track. You have to go through a training/licensing program to drive your Porsche at PoC track days. I can't think of a respectable program that doesn't have a license or training program.

As far as cost goes, if you can afford to race you should be able to afford a class. If you can't then you shouldn't be racing. Cry me a river over having to spend money to race.

I realize this is a hobby sport but that doesn't change the fact we are racing. It doesn't matter if the guy driving is a pro or an amateur with a fat wallet. The damage the race car can do if it crashes is the same. Are the odds of a crash the same for fat wallet TT driver and Rob Mac? Of course not. The new guy is a greater risk. That doesn't mean tragedy can't happen to anyone but the odds are not the same. Is a new guy going through a training program less likely to crash than fat wallet TT driver with zero experience? I would say the same thing. The guy without the training or experience is a greater risk.

Training doesn't guarantee outcome it just helps to lower the risks.

Sad to say but the days of the wild west of off road racing are over. We either control ourselves or someone else will. I guarantee you there are people out there thinking up ways to end our sport.