• Forum membership has its advantages....

"Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous” star Robin Leach Named Grand Marshal of The Mint 400

The Mint 400 today announced that Las Vegas resident and entertainment luminary Robin Leach has been named the Grand Marshal of the 2017 Polaris RZR Mint 400 presented by BFGoodrich Tires. Robin is best known for his initial three years on Entertainment Tonight and then hosting the TV show, “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous”, and has worked as a professional journalist for over 50 years – including his ongoing stint at the Las Vegas Review Journal. Still active in the Las Vegas social scene, Robin was originally connected to off-road racing through his son Steve Leach, who has been a longtime chase crew member of the McMillin Off-Road Team.

More info: Robin Leach named Grand Marshal of the 2017 Polaris RZR Mint 400 presented by BFGoodrich Tires – The Mint 400

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Can we write-in Vanna White?

Desert Son

Robin Leach ?!?...... I get the Vanna White $money$ thing, but Robin Leach!
upload_2017-2-8_11-12-6.png

Regardless, Thanks for all the hard work that you always put in to make this happen.......

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
What have Sajak or Leach have to do with MINT 400 history?

What about the remaining half of HST's ashes? He probably raised awareness of the race outside of the motorsports world than anyone else.

charlie_brown

have to watch the video, never heard of this robin leach. must be a age thing. barney 5?

vegasloki

What have Sajak or Leach have to do with MINT 400 history?

What about the remaining half of HST's ashes? He probably raised awareness of the race outside of the motorsports world than anyone else.
The Sajak reference was a joke, because they couldn't get Vanna. You're an old man, you should have gotten that...

I didn't realize Leach was still alive when I first saw his byline in Uncle Shelley's fishwrap when I moved to town about a dozen years ago. In terms of outreach to non racers and (the people that buy most of the sponsor's products...) Leach will do more than anyone currently connected to off road to raise the awareness of the event in southern NV. Not exactly my cup of tea but the guy is everywhere in terms of entertainment and being a scenester and incredibly well connected in town. Promoting a race and the sponsors has more to do with comforting the concerns and egos of the racers. In big time racing the money isn't from the racers, it's from knuckleheads like me and Mrs Vegasloki that show up to watch knuckleheads race and perhaps buy some of the sponsor's products. Commercially off road racing is all growed up, some of you are having a hard time with it.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
I guess you thought I was serious re naming the burnt partial remains of a "gonzo journalist" Grand Marshall too...

Yeah, I remember Sajak when he did weekend weather.

BTW, since he's already racing and on scene, why wasn't Leno the pick?

He still has a nationwide show and following, I don't believe Leach does.

Last edited:

Dave In Florida

Not to hate on The Mint, because I do appreciate all that you do, but I'd be more impressed with having no grand marshal than having Robin Leach. What does a grand marshal even do? Seems like that money would have been better spent on something...anything....hell, just keep it as profit LOL.

J Prich

Not to hate on The Mint, because I do appreciate all that you do, but I'd be more impressed with having no grand marshal than having Robin Leach. What does a grand marshal even do? Seems like that money would have been better spent on something...anything....hell, just keep it as profit LOL.
Pretty sure the point is that in spite of what I personally would agree would be dubious connections to the sport, he has a significant celebrity profile with a currently active readership that draws attention.

Dave In Florida

Who is the "currently active readership" you speak of? And "significant celebrity profile"? Many in here didn't know who he was, or thought he was dead. He was on a somewhat popular TV show 25 years ago. I'd argue he's definitely not a celebrity, and definitely not relevant to off-road racers. And if you say "well they are looking to market to new people", OK, but what people are they marketing to with an old british guy who was semi-popular 25 years ago? Doesn't seem like a smart option to attract fresh young eyes to the sport.

vegasloki

A Grand Marshall is ceremonial, he rides in the parade and waves. Leach's big contribution is potentially his availability and accessibility to others outside the sport in the Vegas media industry. That can be leveraged to provide more regional coverage as well as getting those with influence to weigh in on decisions. For example, when arms need to be twisted as the new airport comes online or for local and national press. In terms of national exposure for the Vegas live entertainment scene, arguably the largest in the world in terms of scope, Leach can make things happen behind the scenes. You may not have heard of him lately, but around here, he's very active and knows not only how to expand a media platform but has access to those that control it. He might be an old British guy you hadn't heard from in a few decades but in town he's a big media player.