Lift Kits

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I new to the whole Prerunner sceen. I'm from Alabama and not to many prerunner trucks around here. Lookiing @ building my 99 f150 4x4 into a nice prerunner ride that I drive to work everyday that my wife is not in it, that is the direction that I'm headed. What is a coil over kit and it is better than a lift kit. Wheels? I like the AXIS bead lock wheels. Any of you guys have these wheels. Tell me some things that I might do to my truck to make it a prerunner/street truck. Help from the South.

evan_clanin

Reaction
well i live in the south bout far south as u can go, and im building my truck, but i go to the dez on a regular basis, it kinda depends on how offten it sees dirt, and are u building a pre runner for function or looks

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
Well out here a prerunner is not a race truck, its used to drive around a race corse about 2 weeks or so before the race acually happens to give the driver and co driver a heads up on what the corse is going to be like hence the name "prerunner" I dont think there is much desert in Alabama but I could be wrong...A lift kit just gives your truck say 6" of lift over stock height to clear 33" tires but doesnt increase wheel travel or as you from the south call it wheel articulation :) a coilover kit is designed to increase wheel travel and the over all track width of the truck making it faster and more stable at high speeds through the desert. I dont know if this will help you out but H&M makes a kit for your truck but its alot of $$ and if your just gonna be going through mud and cruising trails its a waste give us a better idea of what you will be using the truck for and we can tell you what you should buy acording to what you want your truck to do....Mike

rdc

Reaction
Thanks Mike. I quess what I would like to do for my truck is to give it that prerunner look. I would like to lift if up about 2 to 3 inches without a lift kit. Most prerunners that I see is without a lift kit right. My truck would be used for travel to work and then some off-roading without all that mud that everyone here likes so much.. My truck is in the process of getting a front stabilizer. Has 285/75/r16 tire and will be getting a lift of some sort this summer. What would you guys suggest for this ride and a few inches of lift and wheel travel. Thanks again.

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
If you want 2" of lift just crank up your torsion bars!!! and second dont use a body lift all I can say to you id that you need a 6" lift with 33" tires and some bilstein shocks and call it a day.... but it wont be a prerunner it will be a lifted 99 ford f150 4x4.... the word " Prerunner is" way over used so please dont think that you truck is one thanks...Mike

rdc

Reaction
YUCK!!!! RCD!!! RCD=Really Crappy Design .Your looking for a simple lift. You will not gain wheel travel. Cranking your torsion bars makes a stiff ride and you will need to allign it if you do so. You wont get more than 2" out of a torsion crank. Look for a 6" lift then you can clear 35" tires. Lift the back 3" if you want the front to be higher than the rear. Just use a 3" block in the rear.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
"YUCK!!!! RCD!!! RCD=Really Crappy Design" That's comedy...guess he didnt read your profile Khris.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

In_the_works

Reaction
I can tell you what not to do, and that is DON'T go with Superlift. Bottom line, you obviously aren't going to be doing any real off-roading, or you'd be looking at long-travel kits, but do yourself a favor and at least get a well built kit. I understand that skyjacker makes some strong parts, at least for fords. That's about all the advice I can give though.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250

jeff

Reaction
1999 Ford F-150 with a torsion crank can clear a 35" tire on stock wheels if you remove the valance and do a light trim or two. The tires will rub when turning but should otherwise clear. My roommate used to run 35 Goodyear MTR race series with ZERO lift and it worked pretty good considering. I attacked Oldsmobile in it and let off about 3/4 the way up because I couldn't afford to pay for what I thought I might break (axle wrap). He now runs a 315/70/17 and they fit perfect. I can't see any reason to lift a truck 6" inches to clear a tire that will fit on a relatively stock height truck.

Aloha

FordFreak

Reaction
do you need front fenders to clear 35" with a 6" lift, say the lift from Camburg? If you don't would you need to do some fender trimming? I have a '99 F-150 4X2.

Adam
I only drive trucks...Powered By American Muscle.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by FordFreak on 01/16/03 09:59 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

jeff

Reaction
The 35's on a stock F-150 only applies to the 4x4 version. On the 4x4 you can remove the trim piece and do some light cutting. I can take a picture if that would make things easier.

Aloha

FordFreak

Reaction
don't need a pic but if you want to post one I wouldn't mind "seeing" what you are talking about. This had brought me to another question. Why would you lift a A arm F-series past a 3" spindle lift if you can fit 33" on that lift? Is it due to the increase in travel, more options on shocks, what?

Adam
I only drive trucks...Powered By American Muscle.

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
Adam maybe its just me but Im not understanding your question??I dont think you can tuck 33's on just a 3" spindle lift on a 2wd f-150, you need the 6" lift if you want to 35's you need fiberglass,does this answer your question?....Mike

<font color=red>The dump you take it the gold I make so I can afford to play and race!</font color=red>

sirhk100

Reaction
LOL yeah, whatever, everyone has their opinions. I do know first hand that we don't have many complaints about our kits. In fact the only complaint we have in general is on the sway bar links that we use sucking. We're working on that fix though...

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

leftwing55

Reaction
Maybe someone should go back and read his original post.. F-150 4x4 is what he has.. And with that said, he can probably run 33s with fender trimming and such.. Just my .02 cents worth.

<font color=green> When the GREEN flag drops the BS stops. </font color=green>

BigD

Reaction
my buddy runs 315 projects on his bone stock 98 4x4 f150. not one problem. ive got a 3" spindle on mine with glass and im positive i could clear a 37" with very little problems too.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Yeah those links suck..... I've broken 3 of them! Like the rest of the kit though...works pretty good.

See ya in the dirt!

FordFreak

Reaction
that works for me. Thanks Mike.

Adam
I only drive trucks...Powered By American Muscle.

rdc

Reaction
"LOL yeah, whatever, everyone has their opinions. I do know first hand that we don't have many complaints about our kits. In fact the only complaint we have in general is on the sway bar links that we use sucking. We're working on that fix though...

Khris"

The angle on those sway bar links for the RCD kit are so bad it pops the bushing out, haha. On the 88-98 chevys I have noticed the cv angles are alot worse than the 99-02's. Whys is this? Ever had complaints about the lateral strut bar pushing in the rear drop down bracket? Mine dented in before I even took it into the dirt and there was no indent after the install Im positive. Damn speeds bumps. Now the rear drop down bracket is like a U shape if you look at it and all warped but that was after I took it in the dirt. These kits are meant for street only. You guys should make some kind of brace inbetween the rear drop down bracket instead of leaving it empty. I also hate changing my oil I need a 4 foot by 4 foot oil pan. Thats no biggy though. The RCD claimed 6" lift can only be acheived by cranking the torsion bars which gives you horrible cv angles. No wonder the kit recomends 33" tires because in order to work properly it needs to be set at a 4" lift. My 35" tires rub bad and my cv angles are horrible. Wish you guys would have dropped the diff some more. One good thing about the RCD kit is it holds an allignment well. When are you going to update your website for others its been 2 years!!!
Everyones entitled to there own opinion but help me out here and clear these problems up Khris.
Thanks