Light Bars behind the cab?

AshtonP9

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has tried mounting a light bar behind the cab, like the photo but with an led instead of a hid bar? I would like to put a 50” rigid on my truck, but would not like to drill into the cab to mount it and I was thinking that I could just mount it to the cage there. Thoughts?
E3C5D3A7-8283-48D7-AC56-6A1C5DC243BA.jpeg

Zambo

If I was going to mount a lightbar that's how I'd do it. When you put it over the windshield its pretty much worthless at least from my experience. You have to have a perfectly clear windshield and be traveling in perfectly clear air or else it just goes full white-out when you turn those front mounted units on.

^^^ What he said. Be sure and use long range, not wide angle flood, LED housings.

ANY light that hits the windshield, dash, hood, or any other part of vehicle in driver's vision is a big FAIL: it will merely serve to blind you by causing your eyes to iris down and admit less light.

Zambo

Also, what kind of truck are we talking about here? Chase truck, race truck, prerunner? For a chase truck or basic prerunner, just put lights up front.

baja619

Not the best looking mount setup. But like Zambo, this is where I would mount it too.

az_amsoil

I've driven chase trucks with the bar mounted above the cab and found (as others) it is useless as it washes against all the particles in the air and white outs the windshield. I have all my lights mounted on the front of my truck and they work much better.
Capture.JPG

AshtonP9

Thanks for the responses, I am building a ranger prerunner. I know the best light position is on the bumper, but I have a 50” Rigid laying around that I thought I could use, and I don’t want to block airflow to my radiator. I am thinking about using the rigid spot up top behind the cab, and then having a smaller flood down on the bumper to make a good combo.