Light Covers

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I just wanted to give everybody a little update. I was getting out of my truck this morning and a motorcycle cop "pulls me over" and proceeds to write me up for "not having light covers, no front license plate and too dark of tint."

What's lame is that I had the clear light covers of them that someone recomended awhile back. He said that the covers need to be dark so that the lights cannot accidently blind other drivers. So don't waste your time buying them unless you want to use them when you hit the desert. I thought that maybe it was a loop hole but it is not.

P.S. Anybody know how to get away with not taking off the tint? I don't want to take it off and then pay for it to get put back on (I like it so not having it is not an option).

I can only lead you to water, I cannot force you to drink it.

THNKPNK

OG Offroad Chick
Reaction
where do you live (city)? PM me....

<font color=orange>CU OFRD
Ah...so many pedestrains, so little time </font color=orange>

Erik Irvine

Reaction
If you know anybody with the same truck, switch out the glass, or doors. Nobody days you have to have the same color doors on your car

nothing feels better than to pass somebody through the whoops, well... almost nothing :)

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
You have to find a cop that feels that the tint is not “too dark”. Also, the lenses like discussed earlier have to be opaque.

"Those who risk nothing, are nothing."

Dillon

Reaction
What offroad lights do you have? If they are driving lights but are still very bright then the cop is wrong, but if they are offroad only lights then you are pretty SOL.

toyotaguy

Reaction
take your buddy's truck that is just like yours and switch plates and drive that to have it checked off. At least with mine the cop only looked at the plate to make sure they matched the ticket and then looked at the tint and saw that I had removed it. He never looked at the vin or asked for registration or what not

looking for info on quality tacoma long travel.....any ideas?

tedmales

Reaction
get a note from a doctor saying you are very sensitive to light, could give you cancer, and that should do it, works in az about having tinted windshield

life is too short to be small

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: "You have to find a cop that feels that the tint is not “too dark”. "

Check the vehicle code and you will find that there is no permissable level of tint. The way the law is written, no modification of the window is permitted at all.

Dave

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
26708(d) CVC

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
You are right Dave about any tint being illegal. But many cops have a tolerance for tint from what I have found, and many feel that a little tint (something that is not like a limo) is okay.

"Those who risk nothing, are nothing."

Dave_G

Reaction
The "catch all" in this that will get you a ticket is as follows:

26708.5. (a) No person shall place, install, affix, or apply any
transparent material upon the windshield, or side or rear windows, of
any motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces the
light transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows, except
as provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 26708.
(b) Tinted safety glass may be installed in a vehicle if (1) the
glass complies with motor vehicle safety standards of the United
States Department of Transportation for safety glazing materials, and
(2) the glass is installed in a location permitted by those
standards for the particular type of glass used.

There is a subsection (d) but it refers to CLEAR, COLORLESS,and TRANSPARENT materials NOT tinted materials:

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and
transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the
front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the
front seat if the following conditions are met:
(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88
percent.

The bottom line is, if you "place" tinted material on your window no matter how dark, your gonna get a ticket for CVC 26708.

Dave

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

jeff

Reaction
Read the post that dealt with aftermarket lights... it's a few months old by now but it has all the info you need to fight the uncovered light portion of your citation.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=chitchat&Number=43130&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=chitchat&Number=43130&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1</A>

Aloha

singlehanded

Reaction
All I know is Ive had the hella clear covers on my 4000's about a year and have never been hassled. And yes Ive been pulled over within the last year not because of my covers and the cops just asked me where the bed was and what all the stuff back there was for. I said it for offroading in the dezert and they said cool. No problems. I think it all comes down to each individual cop and how strict they want to be.

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

DANKFAB

Reaction
Cops suck sometimes. I got nabbed for not having covers about a year ago right around the corner from the local jail (my bad timing) and it ended up being only a fix it, but I got to listen to some lecture about how much offroad trucks piss off cops, and how he was gonna go easy on me THIS TIME! I guess its the attitude hes in and how you react to it, so just ride it out and don't be a jerk to them or they'll be a jerk right back.
Brandon

"Carpe Diem" Sieze The Day!

martininsocal

Reaction
A little education. YOu may think the law sucks, but let me tell you, laws are only written after the need arises. No one sat down and said..."someday they're gonna be able to color their windows and we can't have that, so will write a law forbidding it." What really happened is some cop did a stop and couldn't see into a car because of tinting and as he approached, was shot. What really happened is some clown had tint so dark, he couldn't see the car approaching on his left and turned into them, killing someone. This is how these laws come about, not someone looking to jack with your life. As for the cops hating offroaders, It is all presentation. Cops have nothing against offroaders who offroad where they are suppose to. Cops do hate having to respond to calls of folks tearing up landscaping on golf courses, front yards, etc... That is what cops hate. YOu and I know the majority of those folks have never been to the dez to run the trucks, but they tell teh cops they are just doing a little "offroading" when they get popped. And for most of you, if you pass the attitude test when a cop first walks up to your car, the majority of the time you won't get that fix-it ticket.

If your gonna go, go BIG

DANKFAB

Reaction
my experience doesn't account for every cop on the street. I don't think the laws suck, but having to hear that cop say his opinion in my face about how offroaders pissed him off, did suck. I know its beacuse of people who destroy private property with so called offroad vehicles. I was very courteous to the officer and he still ticketed me, so all I am saying is it depends on the officer.

"Carpe Diem" Sieze The Day!

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
The tint solution.

Take a similar truck with no tint, most of the time the don't check the plates

If they do, take the plate off and put it on the similar truck, take it in, and then your candy with the tint.

"Everything you do is triggered by an emotion of either desire or fear."

Reaction
Cops suck sometimes. I got nabbed for not having covers about a year ago right around the corner from the local jail (my bad timing) and it ended up being only a fix it, but I got to listen to some lecture about how much offroad trucks piss off cops, and how he was gonna go easy on me THIS TIME! I guess its the attitude hes in and how you react to it, so just ride it out and don't be a jerk to them or they'll be a jerk right back.
--------

I used to have respect for "police officers", I always deferred from using the derogatory term "cop".

Not anymore.

I have met a watch commander who OPENLY admitted to being reprimanded for *excessive use of force*..AND get this: he said to me:

"..sure, we'll kick a door down for you, to get your [stolen ] stuff back"

[ translation: he was going to break the law, & do an illegal search of a place ]

Get this: the guy living across the street from that place, was an ex-cop for an adjoining city who was fired for use of excessive force

I got pulled over by the same guy years earlier, & they were training their recruits to "mess with people".

[ I was changing the alternator belt in an industrial area, & they pulled me over on suspicion of burglary. It was just a fabricated lie, to give them an excuse to pull me over. The recruit deliberately threw the contents of my wallet on the street, & told me to pick it up. He had this dumb smile like a 7 yr old like it was FUNNY & AMUSING, thinking he could get away with this for the rest of his career. ]

FACT: They got the POWER, & they WILL abuse it!!

It's the old motto: "Absolute power corrupts..absolutely!". Saddam Hussein does, Bush Jr does it, Clinton did it ("I did not have sex with that woman!!")

That Barstow cop who raped a woman while on duty..because he thought he was in a position of power, that the woman was in fear of reporting it. Well...he got found out, drove out to the desert & shot himself. Just down the street where I live a cop did the same thing. (I wonder what he did, that made him resort to suicide). Remember that San Diego cop in the commercial, warning young women about being a rape victim? That a-hole was the guy going around pulling over attractive women, RAPING them, & then killing them. (this was back in the 80's) If that doesn't destroy your confidence in the police, nothing will.

I just casually scanned a news bbs to find these ugly facts:

T O P I C Discussion Started: 07-10-2002, 2:54 PM
Attorneys for a teen who was videotaped while an Inglewood police
officer slammed him onto a squad car plan to file a lawsuit over the
incident as public pressure mounts and various law enforcement agencies
launch separate investigations. Meanwhile another man claims he too was
beaten by Inglewood police officers. What do you think about the police
brutality situation in Inglewood? Elsewhere? What, if anything, do you
think the videotape proves?

[ a woman working for the Feds was also subject to abuse by that a-hole. Really got messed with. She was yelling at the a-hole, that she was on "his side" ]

don87654 07-16-2002, 3:27 PM
Southern California cops are just plain crooked, period! I was once a
State of California Correctional Peace Officer at the California
Institute for Women at Frontera. We were taught in the Academy at Galt
how to formulate evidence to make ourselves look good and victims to
look bad. I refused to cater to this treatment and was fired by an
abusive Lieutenant that was in charge of Internal Affairs at the time.
Later because of my outspoken stances on this, charges were levied
against me involving vehicle tampering and simple assault and I was
convicted of this by what appeared to be paid police witnesses. My
attorney at the time, one of the best criminal lawyers in southern
California, told me to pack my bags and leave town, which I did. It took
him 8 long years to get my conviction erased from court records and to
get the warrant for my arrest dropped by the court so I was no longer
"wanted". It does not matter where they are at....these California cops
that completed the Academy in Los Angeles, or for the State, are just
plain crooked--they are taught to be that way

Jbp912 07-10-2002, 6:21 PM
I am a disabled military veteran. I am in my senior years and I have
become cynical of police officers and the entire judicial system. There
has been too much lying, cover-ups, and irresponsible behavior by law
enforcement persons. It seems there is a lack of proper training, poor
recruitment, and too much hubris. The bottom line is bad management and
no accountability, but we live in an age of extreme mediocrity.
Thank you, JBP

[ he just described Bush Jr in Iraq: irresponsible behavior & hubris ]

Patriottoo 07-10-2002, 4:20 PM
This is a clear cut case of a rabid, over zealous, adreinaline pumped,
and I'm suprised his eyes weren't bulging out of his head cop! The teen
was OBVIOUSLY in custody when he was BRUTILIZED with the UNNECESSARY
FORCE of SLAMMING his head on the trunk lid of the police car and then
PUNCHING him FIST CLOSED in the face, by the this cop. I don't care who
a person is, or what they have done, NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY deserves
to be treated in that manner. Once the 'cuffs' are on, all force that
was necessary to place a suspect in custody MUST STOP! I hope this
maniac of a police officer is prosecuted to the fullest extent that the
law allows, and receives the maxium penalty for his crimes! Only when
the courts get serious and start holding those in the police agencies
around the country who would engage in this type of brutality, fully
responsible for thier crimes will we see an end to it!
Patriot Too

"Go for the Gusto, Go for the Overall"
-- Robby Gordon, SCORE off-road champion