Light placement

tre5

Reaction
I was wondering what everyone thinks about where to put lights. I have a standard cab F150, and debating lights on the bumper, front of the roof, behind the roof, or a combo of the bumper and the front or back of the roof. The truck is caged so I would have something to tie into no matter where I decided to put them. I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were, cause I see so many trucks with lights in different places. By the way, I don't have the bling bling for HIDs, if that matters.
Thanks,
TRE5

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
the higher up the lights are the better in my opinion. they shine further and also shine down into the holes so you get less shadows. i run ivan style lights on my A-piller cage bars, but i dont have a windshield, so the next best thing is a removable light mount off the back of the cab cage over the cab.

Attachments

KitRacer

Reaction
if you are going to be racin around in the dust, and you dont have HID's put them as low as possible, the higher up they are the more dust they will get. I have lights on the roof and bumper of my 1/2 1600, and every time i see dust, I have to turn off the roof ones. Now that I have bling bling for HID's, it doesnt matter anymore

michael_loomis

Reaction
i prefer front bumper and front of roof.

ive always had a huge problem with A pillar lights once it gets dusty .... during nightraces i feel like im in a 64 impala with 18 switches .... constantly reachin for the dash flippin switches !!

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
I have my lights behind the top of the cab and when there is no dust they work awesome. When it gets real dusty you can turn them off and switch to some lights on the bumper, maybe run some fog lights on the bumper.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Yup the fog lights on the front bumper help a lot. At the night race I ran 4 lights in the middle of the ext cab up top...and 2 amber fog lights on the front bumper. When we came up behind someone we turned off the top lights and the fog lights worked great. It was amazing how well just the fog lights worked. I had to run one lap with just the fog lights because of battery problems we were having and I could still see pretty good.

KitRacer

Reaction
when racing, like fish said leave the top lights off. Then, right before you nerf the guy, turn all the tops on and give him a tap. They will think its an unlimited car and get over real quick.

ntsqd

Reaction
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
and also shine down into the holes so you get less shadows

[/ QUOTE ]

While nasty shadows wouldn't be good, I prefer to have at least some shadows for contrast. That's how I can tell where the dips are. The bigger the shadow, usually the bigger the dip - IMHO anyway. At most I'm chasing and not racing, so your needs may be different.

murphco

Reaction
in the grill or on your chrome push bar,that drives the ladies wild.

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
to each his own, Thom. i just know that ive had lights mounted many different ways on my trucks over the years and the way that works best for me is lights at eye level. but i dont race, just play. so its probably different in that aspect.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
When I got my first truck years ago I put lights on the roof, they were too close to the front of the roof so that the beem project on the windshield, and as soon as it got dirty it there was so much glare they were useless. Just some food for thought.

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
yeah, your right about that, but for me i dont have a windshield of a hood to worry about, and i made little sheilds to go around the bottom and sides of the lights to keep glare out of the front of the cab, just like ivan has on his trophy truck. mine are just a bit more low-tech, though. but the beer cans get the job done. !

ESB4130

Reaction
if you plan on having a windshield...dont put them on the front of the cab. make sure you put them far enough back to where the shadow of the roof line covers your windshield. you dont want glare in your eyes.

also, i think its a good idea to have lights on top AND on the bumper. and if you only get one choice....theres other factors to think about. their gonna encounter alot more rocks flyin at them in the front....also dont put them in a "nerfable" spot...you dont want to break your lights doing something like getting fish back for nerfing you a few mins earlier.

the roof lights are really good for things like long desert trips where its you and the wilderness and you just need projection. the front ones are really good for up close with people and in dusty conditions.