• Forum membership has its advantages....

Ligit ???? Roger Mears baja chase truck

germancarsonly

I question if this was one of the support trucks Mike Moore owned? When Mike & Roger got into the Jeep / Budweiser deal Roger brought a few friends from Bakersfield with him. People that had supported and pitted him and Rick in the early days. As they put together the Bud pit support for desert races and those folks became the support team. This was the beginning of the days when people were actually compensated for going out in the middle of the bum I failed high school desert and setting up a pit. I think Mike Moore may have painted up a couple of these guys trucks in the Budweiser colors.

Also there was another of Roger's Bakersfield friends that raced a class 8 Ford. It also was painted in the Bud colors, but as I remember it wasn't really fully part of the Bud team. They got free Goodyear tires and probably some other parts sponsorship IIRC. Oh and lots of cheap beer for sure. The class 8 Ford raced some desert races and Roger Mears drove it once or twice at Riverside. This 4X4 truck could have been part of that class 8 program. I can't remember for sure, but I think the class 8 Ford was owned by Frank something. Sorry this was almost 40 years ago.

Bro_Gill

Unless the axles have been swapped, doubt it was a real chase truck. Most if the trucks back then had some form of truss for the axles, usually steel cable. Was cheap and easy to do.

Bro_Gill

Yeah, but still a huge difference between a trailer puller and a chase truck. Might as well be a lowered dually at this point!

The class 8 was owned by Frank James and built by Wayne Doolittle in Bakersfield. They had an f-250 that chased/towed and I thought it was originally a tan or yellow. They sold the class 8 to another guy in Bakersfield but the f-250 could've gone to Roger. Back then everyone helped each other out. In the mid-late 80's Frank was kind of a crew chief/team manager for Roger during the Nissan years. Roger was kind enough to sell us his take off tire/wheel combo's for cheap. For our first race we ran a 79 f100 class 8 in the '88 1000 and we met up with the crew and I offered to take them out for a beer to thank them for their help....Frank laughed out loud and opened the rear doors of one of the Budweiser semi's.....it looked like something out of Smokey and the bandit....beer everywhere...I believe that Frank retired and moved down to the bay of LA

conejoracer

Yeah, but still a huge difference between a trailer puller and a chase truck. Might as well be a lowered dually at this point!
Back then, they were often one and the same. We used a J20 Honcho to pull our class 3 CJ 7 around to races. That same J20 pre ran dozens of SCORE/HDRA races, and chased on race day. The poor truck was constantly used and abused!

Class3Fan

I'd say that truck is legit ... I shot these pictures of another Mears truck at a race in Colorado in 1981 ... markings are identical. Of particular note is the "Gould" logo -- Gould was Rick Mears' sponsor on his Penske IndyCar from 1979 through 2002 and the company lent some support to Roger Mears' off-road program. Not a logo you'd see on a non-legit truck, IMHO.

Attachments

Class3Fan

Also note the M-M logo on the front fenders of both trucks -- Mike Moore's logo. As for whether it'd be a pre-runner ... guys pre-ran in everything in those days. My uncle sometimes pre-ran in his race car and later did it in his street CJ7. The boys (and a few girls) needed to familiarize themselves with the course, not run at racing speeds, so lots of street vehicles were used as pre-runners.

xracer33

yes that was one of mike moores trucks . it was a shop , support truck .. it wasnt a pre runner and it did have a big goose neck trailer. i think rogers dad bought it when mike was selling stuff... mike sponsored frank james and a class 5 baja bug ( kenny ) and a class 1 ( mario ) and a 250 class motorcycle what he supported them with i dont know and they prepped their own cars at their shops ..they were all painted red with budweiser ...