Limit the amount of riders per team @ SCORE?

dezert_nerd

Reaction
I think it comes down to the cost of racing SCORE, and that’s it. Desert Racing hasn’t gotten any more dangerous on a motorcycle, if anything it’s become safer with the advances in tracking as well as MEDVAC support. I’m opposed to the amount of riders you’re allowed during a race, 6 riders on one team is ridiculous, but I don’t think that dissuades anyone from racing. If anything it just helps. And the courses are getting a lot rougher, but not so rough that if SCORE offered Moto entries for $500 you’d only see the same 20 teams that always show up. It all comes down to cost. Why would anyone spend $5000 just on an entry when you can go race stateside for a 1/5 of the price? Even Code & Record is more cost effective; you won’t log as many miles but you’ll race all the same stuff. I‘m unsure why the entries have skyrocketed, and personally I have no desire to race at SCORE anymore because of it. I’ll go race a National instead where the entries are $100 max and you get to go race with 200+ riders.

knotcher

Reaction
I think it comes down to the cost of racing SCORE, and that’s it. Desert Racing hasn’t gotten any more dangerous on a motorcycle, if anything it’s become safer with the advances in tracking as well as MEDVAC support. I’m opposed to the amount of riders you’re allowed during a race, 6 riders on one team is ridiculous, but I don’t think that dissuades anyone from racing. If anything it just helps. And the courses are getting a lot rougher, but not so rough that if SCORE offered Moto entries for $500 you’d only see the same 20 teams that always show up. It all comes down to cost. Why would anyone spend $5000 just on an entry when you can go race stateside for a 1/5 of the price? Even Code & Record is more cost effective; you won’t log as many miles but you’ll race all the same stuff. I‘m unsure why the entries have skyrocketed, and personally I have no desire to race at SCORE anymore because of it. I’ll go race a National instead where the entries are $100 max and you get to go race with 200+ riders.
I definitely agree with the selection of awesome stateside events from enduro to gp to desert.

dezert_nerd

Reaction
The entry fee at San Felipe in a month or so is $2410, $2610 if you don’t pay by their deadline. On the flip side, VORRA is holding a race in Hawthorne, NV the week prior where the Pro/Expert entry fee is $225. For that price, you get to race 4x55 mile laps coming out to 220 miles (San Felipe is 280 miles). You’ll race 60 less miles, but you’ll also save $2185 in the entry fee alone. I’m sure words can be had with VORRA to squeeze one more lap out for an increase in the entry fee, which I’m sure wouldn’t go up very much.

A Vance

Reaction
I know it’s still very early , but a little disappointed in the number of entries . To any of the Ironman guys on the fence , dust those bikes off and let’s go race. I’m down to get a friendly side bet going if it helps entries .
#make2wheelracingGreatAgain
How much is entry for an ironman?

mxben

Reaction
Personally, having raced the 500 on a bike 2018 & 2019 , it would be a cold day in hell before I signed up to race a dirt bike on a truck course in San Felipe.

Having said that, I liked the other 2/3 of the race course for the 500's I raced. Not that bad. Fun roads, and some unique stuff. I think SCORE should either provide a moto only course for the 250 or just don't have bikes. Call me a puss. Maybe some unique, bike only stuff for the 500/1000 would get entry fees back up.

Also, in my mind, most people are either afraid or don't think the recognition of doing well, or even just finishing a baja race is worth something. To me just finishing the 500 both of those times was a feat. Some great memories and I am mentally tougher because of it.

I remember the first time we pre ran I had no gps, very unprepared, and it was daunting. After that race I came down and led a pre run with our team and was super confident in the task at hand. Now I pre run on the bike for our class 10 we race. I love it.

I'd love to see the allure of racing baja on a bike come back to what it once was.

mxben

Reaction
Side question: anyone pre running SF250 on a bike 4/12-4/14 ??? I will be solo if I cannot team up with another crew.

Dustino81

Reaction
yep. until the entry fees can be reduced for motos, too many ppl complained that they need large teams to share expenses.
As an Ironman guy , I can understand the desire to share costs , but just can’t wrap my head around being on a team and only racing 50 or so miles. I’m just getting warmed up at that point haha

Chainguide

Reaction
As an Ironman guy , I can understand the desire to share costs , but just can’t wrap my head around being on a team and only racing 50 or so miles. I’m just getting warmed up at that point haha
yep, no kidding, racing Baja should be a grueling marathon of an accomplishment, not some 100 yard dash that any dickweed can do. I am guilty of being on multi rider teams from the years 2006 through 2018, but I have also raced in the 1970's, when men were men and we were only allowed 2 riders per team for the 1000 and I have also solo'd the 500 in 1979 on a twin shock 250 Yamaha. I have experienced my own, personal comparison. If it were up to me, I would cut the entry fees in half for the bikes and limit the amount of riders as follows: 2 for the 250, 3 for the 500 and 400 and 4 for the 1000. Thoughts?

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
yep, no kidding, racing Baja should be a grueling marathon of an accomplishment, not some 100 yard dash that any dickweed can do. I am guilty of being on multi rider teams from the years 2006 through 2018, but I have also raced in the 1970's, when men were men and we were only allowed 2 riders per team for the 1000 and I have also solo'd the 500 in 1979 on a twin shock 250 Yamaha. I have experienced my own, personal comparison. If it were up to me, I would cut the entry fees in half for the bikes and limit the amount of riders as follows: 2 for the 250, 3 for the 500 and 400 and 4 for the 1000. Thoughts?
I have no skin in the game but here is how I would do it.

Up to 200 miles. 1 rider only
Up to 400 miles. 2 riders only
Up to 600 miles, 3 riders only
Up to 800 miles, 4 riders only
Up to 1000 miles, 5 riders only

Examples:
242 miles would be 2 riders. (San Felipe 250)
398 miles would also be 2 riders (Baja 400 short)
410 miles would be 3 riders. (Baja 400 long)
500 would be 3 riders. (Baja 500)
998 miles would be 4 riders. (Baja 1000 short)
1100 miles would be 5 riders. (Baja 1000 long)

Dustino81

Reaction
I can agree with that. Amount of riders need to be limited. If guys want short races , go race local hare scrambles or put in the work to get your ass into shape. 5-6 guys for a 280 mile race GTFO haha. I have a hard time believing the excuse of “shared costs” that some of these teams used to justify 5 or so guys . Looking at the names , there’s some dudes with pretty deep pockets .

Dustino81

Reaction
I have no skin in the game but here is how I would do it.

Up to 200 miles. 1 rider only
Up to 400 miles. 2 riders only
Up to 600 miles, 3 riders only
Up to 800 miles, 4 riders only
Up to 1000 miles, 5 riders only

Examples:
242 miles would be 2 riders. (San Felipe 250)
398 miles would also be 2 riders (Baja 400 short)
410 miles would be 3 riders. (Baja 400 long)
500 would be 3 riders. (Baja 500)
998 miles would be 4 riders. (Baja 1000 short)
1100 miles would be 5 riders. (Baja 1000 long)
Best example yet 👍👍

Chainguide

Reaction
I can agree with that. Amount of riders need to be limited. If guys want short races , go race local hare scrambles or put in the work to get your ass into shape. 5-6 guys for a 280 mile race GTFO haha. I have a hard time believing the excuse of “shared costs” that some of these teams used to justify 5 or so guys . Looking at the names , there’s some dudes with pretty deep pockets .
usually, the deeper the pockets, the slower they are LOL

El Mamito USMC

Reaction
yep. until the entry fees can be reduced for motos, too many ppl complained that they need large teams to share expenses.
pretty much... that's why Im not even interested in doing another Score, might as well do a CODE or Record if i want to hit Baja. Im also looking into the LEGACY organization. Many old BITD personnel went over there. For what I heard they are legit. Ill try their long race in 2020.