Limiting Straps

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
How much can limiting straps stretch over time?
Or do they?
What lengths can you get them in?
How much for a pair?

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
I was told by Kartek that they will stretch 1" for every 12" of limit strap if you run one strap per tire. If you run two per tire then they will stretch 1/2" for every 12" of limit strap.

rdc

Reaction
Everyone agree? Im running stock upper and lowers with 35x12.50 tires on a silverado 4x4. Will 1" be my typical stretch amount for a 12" strap on my setup?

BeastlyFord

Reaction
Kartek has them from 8" to 35". They run about $18 per limit strap. And they do stretch about 1" for every 12" of length.

If it doesn't fit, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacement anyway

Ryno

Reaction
You fit 35's on a stock suspension after cutting the stops?? With glass? I wanna know!! Pics if you got them...I was gonna run straps and air bumps, amazing how much more travel you can get.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

rdc

Reaction
No I have a weak 4" RCD lift. A 2" lift in the rear. I have glass fenders and the bedsides are pulled. I shaved the bump stops also more compression travel.
My wheels dont spin at full drop I need limiting straps. Or I can get my cv joints machined until they dont bind anymore who can do that?
How much is it?
Can I do it with a disc grinder?

Ryno

Reaction
Why not spend the $$$ for a 930 cv? I dunno if it would work...but I can't imagine a VW IRS axle being much smaller/ larger than the chevy IFS axles. Machining the CV's themselves for more clearance seems way risky to me...

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

rdc

Reaction
I would go with a 930 cv conversion but there is no way I can dish out the cash for that right now. I just bought rebuilt ones for $230 by the time there done I will probably do the 930cv conversion. What about machining?

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
How much are 930's? Additionally, after this is all said and done, what the increase in wheel travel to be expected?

See ya in the dirt!

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Not knowing the max angle for the stock cheby cv's I really can't tell what the increase would be. What you need is the axle lenght and max operating angles for both cv's to determin the increase. Some 930's have more travel than others depending on the cage and what work has been done it.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by partybarge_pilot on 09/25/02 10:30 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

BeastlyFord

Reaction
How much travel does the RCD kit give you? I know that it can't be much. How much travel could you get out of it if it was converted to 930 or 934 CV's? Just curious, I have a 94 Z-71 that is begging for a long travel system once I get enough money and convince someone to fab it up.

If it doesn't fit, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacement anyway

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
It doesn't give you enough, but the "pull-ass" factor of your truck goes way up! J/K!

See ya in the dirt!

rdc

Reaction
Not sure how I could measure the amount of front wheel travel I have with the RCD kit. I can measure the rear but if anybody has a good idea how to measure the front tell me. I know its crap for travel but im curious.
With the torsion bars it is hard to make a long travel system you need a coil. I cant afford all that so I have to work with what I got.
Is it ok to mount my limiting straps to a 1/4" (maybe less) steel part of my frame?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Torsions and 4wd can rock...jsut look at the S&S S10...it domintaes with 12 inches of travel and 4wd.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

rdc

Reaction
Should I double up the limiting straps on each side of my chevy 1500 up front? Or just run a single strap on each side?

blind655

Reaction
I would run 2 straps. I ran one mastercraft quad on each side of the suburban and snapped the tabs right off. Im running 2 per side now and have had no problems. just my .02

A suburban might not be as good as a truck, but it comes damn close with 8 people in it

rdc

Reaction
What are some of the companys that make limiting straps?

SDranger

Reaction
Beard and mastercraft that ive seen readily available. I like the beards better because they have this metal thing where the tab and the strap meet. ( iknow that probally makes no sense, but if you can compare the two side by side you will see what i mean)

97 Ranger 4x4
02 CR125

ntsqd

Reaction
Sounds like you're describing the grommet btwn the strap and the tab. It makes the bend in the strap thru the tab a larger radius so the tab doesn't act like a knife, at least not as much.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages