linear actuators on lightbar and design

scary fast hummer

Reaction
I am going to build a 4 Hella HID lightbar for my Hummer that folds back like ones you see on the cool pre-runners. It will mount just behind the C pillar and fold up with a linear actuator. The truck already has HID headlights and will also have a pair of big halogen Hellas on the front to fill in the spot between the HID coverage and the bumper.

I could use some help in designing the bar. The A pillar (windscreen) is about 4 inches lower than the B pillar. The C and B pillars are level with each other. Its a frickin long way from the A to the C pillars, about the same as a superduty crewcab.

So, how high up from the C pillar should the bottom of the lights be when in the UP position?

Somebody please school me on actuators and how to mount one. I plan on keeping mounted permenantly. Does the actuator need a stop to keep it from shaking? How long of a throw do I need for the actuator to lift and adjust the light bar? Those kind of answers would be most appreciated.

Any pics would fantastic!

TIA,

scary fast hummer

Reaction
Thanks, I had seen that thread before but could not find it again.

I'm still very interested in pics or info on raising a light bar from horizontal to vertical. Like where to mount the acuator rod on the light bar for best lift/ease on acuator, etc. I just dont want to spend money doing something stupid that I could have found out here first!

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
heres one that i built.

and with the actuator removed you can see the 2 rear mounting tabs.

rharriman

Reaction
Why use a motor, just do what Gordon did and use a lever with stops, if it works for gordan why not for you, LOL. I looked for a thread but couldn't find one right away, if I do I will post it.

Good luck and I do like the one Helton put up but it could be done WAY cheaper with a simple lever and no electrickery =)

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
i agree but when the customer gives you the $400 actuator and says "put this on my truck" you just do it. :)

Wild bill

Reaction
I had a linear on my TT and took it off. The lead screw had too much backlash that the lights vibrated bad and freaked my eyes out. I went with a manual adjuster and all is good. What I do miss is adjusting the lights quickly when you go up or down a hill.

scary fast hummer

Reaction
Why use a motor, just do what Gordon did and use a lever with stops, if it works for gordan why not for you, LOL. I looked for a thread but couldn't find one right away, if I do I will post it.

Good luck and I do like the one Helton put up but it could be done WAY cheaper with a simple lever and no electrickery =)
True, true. If my truck was used only as a race truck I would go with a manual lever. But, our race trucks have to be road legal (really, not Mexico legal :rolleyes:) and we do a lot of road work connecting the special stages (aka, race sections). So, to keep the truck even remotely weather tight, I cant have rods and levers going through the roof.

My favorite light set up was the lights in the wing of the Big Oly trucks, back in the day...

piratelab

Reaction
This is a manual one from gordons truck.
.125 4130
The round hole is the piviot for the center of light bar
The radius with cutouts is for the "mechanical actuator" which you operate by hand.

Manning

Reaction
Heres a video of one I did on my SxS...I didnt do it for clearance, just did it for adjustability while driving in the dunes & desert..up on the switch is lights up, down is down.. I love it, works greeeeat:cool:

Heres a still of it...

Mike330R

Reaction
Not sue if this helps, pretty simple. I used a jet boat trim swich and arm to adjust the bar while driving.

progresive

Reaction
Progressive Automations, a leading manufacturer and distributor of linear actuators, dual actuators and lifting columns in North America. As we know Linear actuators are important mechanical device that transmutes of energy. for example its chance like electric or hydraulic power into linear motion.

Progressive Automations understands the need of quick and swift service in delivering the required linear actuators and accessories to help you with smooth running of your businesses. It is offering same day shipping services on most offers helping customers to gain from its swift services in the North American region.

Actuator is an innovative, compact and powerful mechanical device that offers high force plus long service life for various heavy-duty industrial applications. Electric current is the source of energy and come with different strokes, speed and forces.

for more please visit
http://progressiveautomations.com/

or Call Customer Service:

(Toll Free)

1-800-676-6123

or mail us for General inquiries on

info@progressiveautomations.com

Zambo

Reaction
You can also use gas shocks, like the kind that hold your trunk lid up, to dampen the vibes on your lightbar.

Reaction
You can also use gas shocks, like the kind that hold your trunk lid up, to dampen the vibes on your lightbar.
That is what I use on my 1600 car where weight and aero drag really matter. Start with the light bar down for no wind drag and pull the release when it gets dark so I don't have to stop. Works great!

Rough_Rider_Racing

Reaction
i use a small arb air compressor and an air ram for mine. Works a treat. It runs 110 psi and is air operated up and down. The bar is a very simple design and uses heim joints so there is no vibration.

The ram,

and a little vid i made while drinkin beer lol.

You can do the same thing but with an actuator if you didnt want to run an air set up.