Link pin shim ??'s

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
There a good article in the latest Dirt Sports on how/where to add shims on a LP front end. The article notes that "it is very important that 10 shims be used for the top and bottom pin". According to the chart in the magazine I should have 6 shims (inner) and 4 shims (outer). I can understand the inner shims (where the gap is) but why so many on the outer (bolt head side)? My issue on the bottom pin is, I'm using 3" drop spindles and there is not enough clearance between the bolt head and the spindle for that may shims. The most I can install is 2 shims before the bolt (link pin) head hits the drop spindle. So if I use the chart and add the appropriate amount of shims to the inner shim location should I be ok?

Again, why so many shims on the outer? The only thing I can think they do is help line up the pinch bolt.

Wilson

Reaction
There a good article in the latest Dirt Sports on how/where to add shims on a LP front end. The article notes that "it is very important that 10 shims be used for the top and bottom pin". According to the chart in the magazine I should have 6 shims (inner) and 4 shims (outer). I can understand the inner shims (where the gap is) but why so many on the outer (bolt head side)? My issue on the bottom pin is, I'm using 3" drop spindles and there is not enough clearance between the bolt head and the spindle for that may shims. The most I can install is 2 shims before the bolt (link pin) head hits the drop spindle. So if I use the chart and add the appropriate amount of shims to the inner shim location should I be ok?

Again, why so many shims on the outer? The only thing I can think they do is help line up the pinch bolt.
You want at least a couple of shims on the outer if possible. There is rotation between the link pins and the king pin (spindle) as the suspension travels up and down - shims will help isolate them from bearing directly on each other. Obviously, you primarily use shims to adjust camber on a beam front end. The shims are also used to adjust the link pin/king pin fit - be careful to use enough shims that you can correctly tighten the link pin nuts - too few will cause interference problems (and a "loose" fit).....