loading up crippled truck

Igino

Reaction
hasn't happened yet - but i figure its just a matter of time. How do you load up a crippled truck (won't roll, broken axle/suspension component) onto a flat bed trailer? I'm hesitant to scrape the truck all the way long the bed of the trailer as we winch it up. The only other option i can see is to somehow lift it up and then drive the trailer underneath it. how the heck am going to do that, i dunno....suggestions?

Jacob7672

Nimrod de Ashcraft
Reaction
It all depends on what is broken, but I have used:
Jacks
car dolly
plywood
ratchet straps
furniture dolly

Attachments

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
Perhaps a short steel "snowboard" with strong eyelets (see crude side view drawing) could be attached to the disabled corner of the vehicle to make it more movable.
<0___0>

A winch makes the job easier also.

Chase 2

Reaction
It all depends on whats broke, where you are, and whats available to use.

loufish

Reaction
It all depends on what is broken, but I have used:
Jacks
car dolly
plywood
ratchet straps
furniture dolly
Excactly!....You do whatever it takes...

Cadwell

Reaction
When I was a flat bed tow truck driver one trick I used when getting the car on the bed was using a 4x4 piece of wood and put it under the suspension arm that was busted and winch it onto the bed. Also another trick to do is make the bed slippery if you need it to slide by getting a thing of dish soap and squirting it on the path of the wheel that won't roll, but to spread the soap keep like a gallon or two of water and pour it over the soap to make the surface area slick! that last trick worked great when I even had to slid cars off the bed cause I didn't want to go inside the car cause some guy got depressed his girl friend broke up with him and blew his brains out in the car!

Igino

Reaction
wow man - thats a messed up situation, but i'll keep the tip in mind

Chris

Reaction
Pop the busted uprights off, drop the lower bj, put wood and folded over carpet, busted up fiberglass and whatever else you can find under what's left of the LCA and winch away. Also works as an effective method for clear-cutting any pesky vegitation that is in the way.

96YodaT1

Reaction
i think is one of the mcmillins flat bed trailers that they bring there chase trucks on it has a cherry picker on the front and a winch also

bitter sweet

Reaction
At a pro desert race in rocky point a few years back running a trophy truck we broke a balljoint.We found a car tire off the rim,pulled the spindle off the upper and set the lower in the tire and rachet straped the tire to the arm. It worked great and we winched it into a enclosed trailer!

vaderoni

Reaction
Broke rear hub on Rescues TT early October short-course, we used a big CAT bulldozer and some chain.

RickyBobby

Reaction
my car has been recovered with jeeps, tractors, trucks, even a rhino tried to help one time.

we have a 8klb winch on the front of our flat bed, $300 at costco, never failed once, and has always pulled whatever we had attached to it. even my old yukon on a 10inch lift and 38s buried in a mud hole up to the doors.

F.A.S.T.clothing

Reaction
if u have a welder.. buy those lil trailer or wheel barrel wheels and weld square tube to rear frame and wheel then you can roll it around..cheap at harbor freight