long"er" travel driveshaft Silverado

reverhart

Reaction
Hey all, so I'm building a mild pre-runner from a 2 door 2004 silverado with a short bed, it has a 5.3 and a transmission with a slip yoke.
I got some spring under deavers, and I wondering how any of you have taken care of the driveshaft issue withthe longer travel

I was thinking replacing the tail end of the transmission with a fixed yoke, and getting a 2 piece driveshaft so it can get longer and shorter without pulling out of the back of the transmission

anyone do this, have an idea where to get the parts (tail housing) driveshaft it easy

Thanks

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
i assume you have the C-85 packs........the stock slip yoke should work even with the added plunge of the SUA.......aside from doing a 4L80E swap i dont know who would make a fixed yoke conversion for the 4L60E......

the last silvy we did with the c-85 packs had the aluminum drive shaft. we had a custom steel unit built that used the stock front yoke. only difference from your truck is that the one we did had a transfer case in it.

reverhart

Reaction
yep those are the springs I'm using, so you just put a longer slip yoke on a dimensionally stock shaft

fearless

Reaction
You can leave the slip yoke and still run a 2 piece shaft. Once you mount the carrier bearing the front shaft becomes fixed even with the factory slip at the transmission. Directly after the carrier bearing is where you have your new slip yoke going toward the rearend. Works great and also leaves you a little fail safe if any thing ever happens you still have a little movement at the trans instead of tearing up more stuff.

Inland Drivline has made them for me and work great.

reverhart

Reaction
thanks, that is the other option I have been pondering

one more question--so Idon't haveto trail and error

what angle did yo uset the pinion angle with the softer Deaver springs -- -1 degree ?

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
yeah what fearless said about the 2 piece carrier bearing drive shaft is true. the 4wd i showed above had a 1 piece shaft with no carrier bearing, just the slip yoke at the t-case. the new shaft had to be shorter than the stock one because of the forward plunge at droop.

as for pinion angle i allways shoot for about 2-3 degrees down from in-line with the prop shaft at ride height. this still keeps things below parallel under hard acceleration......vibrations are no fun.

also, drivelines incorperated is who we use for all our shafts.

fearless

Reaction
Matt is correct. I checked mine last night after work and I had set it a 2 degress below. Just make sure to cycle it and figure a little extra for the unknown. Plunge, no matter how many times you cycle it the truck does different things when you actaully are moshing through the desert with leaf springs.

reverhart

Reaction
thanks guys
I think I'm going to try the carrier bearing set up

don't know if I'll have time before V2R, motor home needs packing, race truck on jack stands, u know the drill -- only 2 weeks left

Jess@HighAngle

Reaction
With the proper Carrier bearing we can get a 2 piece in there with the slip up top- and at the axle- Jess