long range lights

rkracing

Reaction
I am looking to buy some long range spot/pencil beam lights what are some nice ones that wont break the bank im looking to spend around $100 for a pair. I was looking at the pro comp 130 or the kc daylighters what are your thoughts on these and which out of the 2 are better?

djblakely

Reaction
Go with the KC DAYLIGHTERS. There is a reason KCs are still being used by a big majority of the racers now. I bet there is not 10 teams out there using the ProComp lights. KC set the standard for the others to follow.

rkracing

Reaction
I could see why you might be a bit biased lol I dont see what so special about them theyre are worth $100 for the kit and they look like any other cheapo $20 dollar lights to me the pro comps are bigger so I assume it should spread the beam a little better ?

FullsizeFun

Reaction
"spread the beam a little better" contradicts what you initially asked about. You asked about a long range spot/pencil beam light.
I prefer the KCs, I used them for years on my old baja bug, no problems. Or you could use Hella 500's, I think they are about the same price. I dont even like the name "Pro-comp" jajaja, I just think cheap chinese crap.

07FJRog

Reaction
"spread the beam a little better" contradicts what you initially asked about. You asked about a long range spot/pencil beam light.
I prefer the KCs, I used them for years on my old baja bug, no problems. Or you could use Hella 500's, I think they are about the same price. I dont even like the name "Pro-comp" jajaja, I just think cheap chinese crap.

The old Daylighter pencil beam is just that a very long range pencil point beam.
I still have an odd pair of those, one is stainless and one is chrome, one is sealed beam and one is halogen. hahahaha

6" versions are cheap all over E-bay too. the hella 500 has a wider spread to it and shorter distance.

a pair of each would be a good combo, IMO

BTW, you can convert those H3/H1 bulbs to HIDs for about 50 bucks or so

search ebay for H1 or H3 HID kit, you will see.

sparkypyro

Reaction
I have had the Pro comp 8" 130 watt lights for a little over 4 years and they have held up very well. The only problem is getting good 130 watt lamps. The ones pro comp sells are COMPLETE cr+p! Some don't work out of the package brand new, many have filament breakage 5 minutes after the install. Some just randomly go on and off. The housings are good, just get a better bulb.

07FJRog

Reaction
I have had the Pro comp 8" 130 watt lights for a little over 4 years and they have held up very well. The only problem is getting good 130 watt lamps. The ones pro comp sells are COMPLETE cr+p! Some don't work out of the package brand new, many have filament breakage 5 minutes after the install. Some just randomly go on and off. The housings are good, just get a better bulb.

what bulb is that? you can convert them too and problem solved. I recommend a 5K or 6K bulb color, 3k if you want amber

Rog