long travel advice

elcaprerunner

Reaction
In a couple of months (hopefully) I am going to get either a 2002 Silverado or a brand new or used Tundra. If I get a Silverado I am thinking about getting the CST long travel kit with +3 arms, fabricated boxed spindles with uniballs, coil springs, and Bilstien 5100s, but maybe replacing the 5100s with Fox or SAW 2"x8" or 10" maybe with a resevior. Is this a good kit to buy or is it more worth it to go $1200 more and get the coilover kit? I liked this one because of price and you don't have to weld shock hoops on a brand new truck. Also if I get the coil spring kit would it maybe be a good idea to replace shocks if they are valved right or should I leave them alone? If I get a Tundra I was going to get the SAW coilover lift. I want long travel but the only affordable one is from Camburg and I don't like the fact that it uses stock spindles witch are the same as Tacoma stock spindles but uniball. My buddy owns that Donahoe Racing Tundra that was at the Off-Road Expo. The front has nice boxed spindles and was originally made to be a kit but I am sure it won't be because to get that front end with a coilover and bypass it would be $9000. Does the SAW coilover kit do pretty good off-road? That seems like my only option for a Tundra. I NEED SOME CHEVY AND TOYOTA ADVICE HERE!

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
The SAW Coilovers are pretty good for moderate offroading. I had them on my Tacoma and know lots of people who run them and they are all happy with it. For the price you get a good improvment in ride.

As for the long travel, I run the camburg kit on my Tacoma and haven't had any problems with my stock spindle, and haven't heard any stories of stock spindles bending or breaking. Yes it does look weak but it will stand up to your abuse. You could always plate the stock spindle up and make it stronger which my brother plans on doing to mine in the future.

--------
"My truck wasn't built for your amusement, so stop telling me I should jump my truck."

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Plating the spindle is a good idea. The original plan on my buddy's truck was to run the stock one but I guess when Donahoe saw it for the first time he said no. I am sure it is perfect for a Tacoma but that is a lighter, more compact truck and I would guess that is weak for a bigger truck but if you went to the Off-Road Expo you can see how built up my buddies truck is and that's why they made a boxed one. Camburg doesn't run a bypass (I don't know if this matters) so maybe it is fine.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Ya saw the truck at the Offroad Expo and at the Malibu Dan event when it was first shown. Does he plan on using it offroad when its all done?

I still think the spindle is ok on a Tacoma or Tundra if you just plan on using your truck as a weekend warrior. I've seen one tacoma spindle bend and that was on a Trailmaster 6" lift with drop brackets and 35" tires and the guy was jumping 6 feet in the air lol.

--------
"My truck wasn't built for your amusement, so stop telling me I should jump my truck."

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Ya he is definately going to take it off-road. Right now it is still being worked on though. He is sponsored by TRD and they are doing something with the exhaust right now but they won't let him off-road it untill after the week of Nov. 4 because that is SEMA and it going there with them. Even though he still does lightly when he gets the chance to drive it. After that Donahoe is going to take him out to Barstow or something like that to show him how to drive it and what it can and can't but also to valve the shocks. It has 4:11s and locker with 35"s and you have no idea how fast that thing is. It will break'em loose at every stop and around every corner and when it hooks up you will nail your head on the headrest.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Ya my goal is to get a Tundra down the road (5-10years) put the TRD charger on it and then go to town. Centermounte arms, 4 link.etc. I remember talking to Kreg at the malibu dan event and he was saying there was no way he was going to let the guy take the truck out without him giving him a lesson :)

Its good to hear he'll bring the thing in the dirt though, too many trucks are being built for show.

--------

drtdevil93

Reaction
ummm... i have a confession to make. that truck has already been abused. i worked on the springs on it, and took it out for a test drive, and i saw kreg do some good "testing" around the streets of santa ana. i can say that it handles exceptionally well. umm... sorry.

erik

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Hopefully TRD doesn't read the board! :)

--------

Dylan

Reaction
The other reason that we fabricated a spindle on the white Tundra was to move the lower pivot up to spindle centerline (a lift spindle)
As far as whether to build a Chevy or Toyota, when you go big custom suspension it doesn’t mater that much, it comes down to what body style you like more.
I’m a Toyota man myself, at least you have reliable transportation to begin with before you go cutting it and screwing it up

Ryno

Reaction
Dylan-

I certainly don't mean to start a war here....But a chevy with the 5.3 will smoke the Tundra. With 4.10's in the rear it only gets worse. As far as longtravel, either the CST or Camburg kit. They both are WAY nice. The camburg kit just looks way beefier, with boxed arms and spindle. I will say that chevy's weak link in the 1/2 tons is the transmission. Gotta slap a shift kit, servo, and a big cooler on it for it to stay alive, otherwise it cooks the clutch paks in the 3-4 band. I've driven tundras....VERY nice trucks....But you just can't argue with a motor than has proven itself for over 50 years now.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

michael_loomis

Reaction
tundra's are pretty comfy inside , GM's too and both are reliable . GM's are more powerful. im a GM guy but i have to say that the Yota interior will probably make less noise(sqeeks) in the long run.

michael_loomis

Reaction
50 years ?? what are you talkin about Ryno , the new 327 ? the 5.3 they use today has only been around since 99. the transmission should be fine unless your towing a heavy load.

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Ya but I don't want to weld hoops and cut up my new truck so that is why I was going to go with the CST kit with coil springs and shocks verses coilovers but is that even worth it? I was going replace the Bilstein 5100 with a 2" resevior either Fox or SAW or is that even a good idea? Garrett told me about Kreg's "testing" around town. lol

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Two things...

(1) Did that guy buy his truck and then take it to Kreg and say "here is a new Tundra, have it for a while and build a kit for it and show it off, then when you are done give it back to me?" If so, that lucky SOB......!

(2) Fords will smoke ALL other trucks, doesn't matter what kind! Furthermore, nobody on this board should talk bad about 'em as they are still the only manufacturer who still sponsors this sport we all love called off-road racing!

That should start a nice little war! :)

See ya in the dirt!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
"Furthermore, nobody on this board should talk bad about 'em as they are still the only manufacturer who still sponsors this sport we all love called off-road racing!"

That alone should be reason enough to buy a Ford! Enough said!

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

Bryan_D

Reaction
I am not a ford fan by any stretch, but if they are going to support a sport that we all love then we should try and do the same if you dont mind fixing your truck every weekend. But seriously if you can stand to drive a ford and not get hassled (sp?) then go for it. I couldnt my family has always been a chevy or jeep family so I stay neutral and drive a cherokee, and possibly a dodge diesel when I get some cash one day.

elcaprerunner

Reaction
no. 1 Ya that's kinda what happenned. Hers's the whole story. His Dad owns Long Beach Toyota so he got one for a good price. He heard about Kreg and went down there to talk to him about some work on the truck. It started off as a front bumper and a nice, off-roadable lift big enough to fit 35"s because that is what he asked his Dad for for Xmas. But as they talked his dad said "Well maybe long travel instead of a lift, well if we do the front we gotta do the back right?" And so on untill it became full tilt less a four-link. It was supposed to be done for Xmas but it was there till the beginning of May ( no offense Kreg, your work is the best I have ever seen, BTW if you read this what do you think of Taylor Motorsports new Trophy Truck if you saw it at the Expo?). And he didn't see his truck till the week after Xmas. So about the time it was done at Kreg's his dad desides to bring the TRD guys down to see it. Long story short they really liked it so they decided to sponsor him. So after Kreg's it went straight to TRD for supercharger, exhaust, gears, and a locker and it sat there al most untill the OR Expo. I'd say since he's owned it he has actually driven it maybe a month total because he never has it, it is always being worked on.

no. 2 Madd props to Ford for sponsoring our sport but you can't ignore the facts: Found On Roadside Dead, Fixed Or Repaired Daily, F#*ked On Race Day, F#*ked Over Rebuilt Dodge, F#*ker Only Rolls Downhill, I could go on all day. j/k I'll probably own one as a race car some day.

no. 3 Back to my problem! lol Nobody knows about the Chevy kit? And keep in mind I DON'T want coilovers unless that is REALLY, REALLY what I should get for the Chevy.

BeastlyFord

Reaction
On the CST bolt on long travel kit (the non-coilover one) you cannot upgrade the shocks unless you make custom mounts. The Bilstien shock that comes with the kit is pin-mount on the top and t-bar on the bottom so it can bolt in the stock locations. To upgrade to a 2.0 SAW or whatever you would need to fab up some new mounts since they have heims on both ends.

As far as the Tundra suspension, wait until the begining of next year, the Total Chaos kit should be out by then. Can anyone say coilover and external bypass?

If it doesn't fit, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacement anyway

FORDTECH

Reaction
Fastest. Object. Recordable.D##k. you forgot that one

im not afraid of dying ,i just dont want to be there when it happens !

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Maybe I will just wait for that Total Chaos. My buddy has the red Tacoma 4WD that was the prototype for the new kit. You can see it on the site. Will the coilover bolt into the stock mount? If so I am there if I get a Toyota.