Long Travel K5 4x4?

K5Blazer

Reaction
I would like to be able to do some desert running with my Blazer. I would like to get at least 12" of travel in the front and rear with the capability to do some jumping. I would like to be able to stay with solid axles and not go coilover in the front. Anybody have any ideas?

Stan

Reaction
http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/favlinker.pl?Cat=&Entry=153&F_Board=shop&Thread=21580&partnumber=1&postmarker=
Here's some more info. Also, welcome aboard fellow CK5 junkie.

I'm not here, nor was I here, nor will I ever be here.

K5Blazer

Reaction
Hmmm, by the looks of it I need to make time to go down to Deaver Springs. Wonder how much somethin like that costs.

Stan

Reaction
I think somewhere around $1G for a full set a springs. I had a long conversation over at CK5 a few months ago with Pugsley. He suggested maybe going with a set of Superlift Superride springs, they have a soft spring rate. I would suggest saving for the shocks and getting them setup right.

Stan

Reaction
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/chevy/feature/donahoeracing/blazer>http://www.off-road.com/chevy/feature/donahoeracing/blazer</A>
Clicky

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
I posted the same thing and the RDC user Fabricator had already done it years ago and had some good ideas maybe you can find the old post and read it or get in touch with Fabricator....Mike

everyone thinks they are superman when the camera is pointed at them...untill they land!!!

ntsqd

Reaction
I just pulled up one old thread on this that I had saved.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

ntsqd

Reaction
If you're going to have custom springs made I would move the front shackles back, make the rear part of the spring much longer. The longer the spring, the lower the stress for a given amount of travel. I'd say make the front part longer too, but that is a bit more problematic. The '69 Chev 8s truck I crewed on once had been done this way. Wasn't the most ideal set-up, but it was class legal.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

K5Blazer

Reaction
Ive checked out moving the front mount forward. There isn't much room at all, but you can move the rear mount quite aways back. I just dont know what to do about the rear, I dont really want shock hoops going through my body.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Here are some pics of a K5 Blazer.
Deaver front and rear springs. Fox 2.0 dual shocks up front. Custom Steering, Fox air bumps. Sway-A-Way 3.0" By-pass shocks in the rear. Custom Ford 9" with disk brakes.

Pic 1

Attachments

• 6-33115-frontSuspension.jpg
    6-33115-frontSuspension.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 8,576

COChev

Reaction
that is sweet!!! how come the rear shock is mounted up so high? i would think mounting right on top of the axle tube would be ok. also do any of you chevy prerunner guys run a rear shackle flip? this would allow for a flatter rear spring and better droop. got any pics of the entire rig? i'd like to see the stance and ride hight. thanks,

jason

COChev

Reaction
Also, do you know the length on those springs? looks to me like the rear shackel hanger was moved back. and the front spring mounts under the core supports are custome jobbers too.

Stan

Reaction
Jerry, YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!
Quick couple of Q's........ Do you have access to this Blazer or can get me into contact with him? And furthermore, if you do happen to drive this, would you be interested in doing a tech article on the whole thing?