• Forum membership has its advantages....

Long travel rear end

I posted up about doing a mid travel set up several weeks ago but did not get much help with anything. I have a 4wd Silverado that I am looking to build up. I had planned on just doing a mid travel setup since it is my daily driver and I also need the bed space. After looking around I have found a couple LT kits that are not terribly more expensive than a MT setup. The LT kits will yield about 14 to 16 inches of travel on the front end. I really need to try to avoid caging the bed and I don't have the skills to fab up a cantilever system. Do I have any other options to try to match the front to rear? I don't need 24 inches of travel in the rear but if I could get it to that 14 to 16 inches of travel to match the front I think I would have a pretty mild LT build that would suit my needs. This will be my first build so I am still learning a lot.

Thanks.

slvrbullet

I would go with Giant Motorsports daily driver link setup. That is your best bet to make sure the rear can hang with the front if you go LT in the front.

Another option may be a mid travel kit in the front with a Deaver spring pack in the rear and have someone build you a under bed cage to mount the shocks on. You will need to limit the travel in the rear but that's your best bet if you don't want to go through the bed. IMHO I would not spend the money on a LT kit if your not willing to go through the bed, go with a cantilever or Giants setup, it's not to fun when the rear cant keep up with the front and actually makes it pretty dangerous in some scenarios.

biggjim

Your 2 choices are cantilever under the bed or a bed cage. There are kits that make the cantilever pretty simple but they arent cheap. A bed cage can be done without losing the use of your bed. Remember good parts arent cheap and cheap parts arent good.

Attachments

I would go with Giant Motorsports daily driver link setup. That is your best bet to make sure the rear can hang with the front if you go LT in the front.

Another option may be a mid travel kit in the front with a Deaver spring pack in the rear and have someone build you a under bed cage to mount the shocks on. You will need to limit the travel in the rear but that's your best bet if you don't want to go through the bed. IMHO I would not spend the money on a LT kit if your not willing to go through the bed, go with a cantilever or Giants setup, it's not to fun when the rear cant keep up with the front and actually makes it pretty dangerous in some scenarios.
I imagine you would get quite a lot of bucking. With the mid travel setup I would get about 11 inches at a maximum of travel. What kind of performance can I expect out of a MT setup? I have not found many reviews for MT setups on a 4wd. The 2wd MTs are getting 14 inches of travel so its more similar to the 4wd LT kits. If I am going to spend the money I want my truck to be fun, not just slightly better than stock. Lastly I know even with limited travel shock tuning is a huge factor. I have been looking at King 2.5 coilovers with the mid travel and the LT kit I am looking at comes with 2.5 Fox coilovers and Fox triple bypass. Any advice on shocks/coilovers? I have worked some with tuning Mt Bike shocks but never worked on a full size truck with tuning.

Thanks again.

Your 2 choices are cantilever under the bed or a bed cage. There are kits that make the cantilever pretty simple but they arent cheap. A bed cage can be done without losing the use of your bed. Remember good parts arent cheap and cheap parts arent good.

Wow, That is actually a ton of room leftover. I may be able to make something like that work. Is that your truck Biggjim?

T0Y015

Bed cages can be minimally invasive of the space you're trying to retain, as you can see in the pic above. Some Deavers, 14-16" travel shocks, and some shackles are a pretty standard setup. You'll be able to, or should be able to, get the travel and performance you're looking for and it won't cost you your first born. I'm in the process of my first build as well.

J Prich

Mid or long travel kit up front, simple bed cage and Deavers in the rear. Relatively affordable, simple, and plenty to have fun with. If you're talking about a Daily Driver that you want to get a little dirt fun with from time to time also, that's all you need.

Team Rivera

ive got a daily driven Sierra 1500 strapped at 13" in the front and strapped at 16" in the back no bed cage, relocated rear shock mounts w/ 2.0 bumps. works good for what it is. All BMS parts front and rear besides rear shock mounts, those i made. Both rear shocks kicked backwards to a simple cross bar with some total chaos shock mounts. Unless you go spring under that requires allot of additional mods like drive shafts new spring perch and more. my set up is
absolutely the most travel you can get out of the truck and set up.

One last question for you guys. With a max of 16 inches in the rear, do I need to worry about my drive shaft and transfer case, longer slip yoke?

Team Rivera

stock drive shaft will work.
for how long?
i got 110K miles, then last week it decided it had enough.
the slip was ok, it gets really close to cross member i recommend to notch that.
either carry a spare and expect it to break eventually. there aluminum and not the strongest.
or pony up the $$$ for the 2 piece even the 2 piece is breakable but a heck of allot better.

fathead

What are your guys thoughts on the short course 4 link set ups with a 16" coilover mounted off the axel? Should get about 20" or so. Thinking about doing it to my sons truck. Can be done for the same price if not cheaper than Deavers, hangers and shackles (unless you fab your own )

biggjim

One last question for you guys. With a max of 16 inches in the rear, do I need to worry about my drive shaft and transfer case, longer slip yoke?
Cycle it!!! I couldn't find **** for information when I was building my truck. I converted from 2 piece to 1 piece as I read nothing but horror stories of carrier bearings giving it up in the desert. I've got my rear end strapped at 17"s and the the last 2"s of travel has a ton of plunge. I had to source a long yolk for the amount of drive line plunge I had. If I remember correctly Mine the drive line was at its longest point at bump and its shortest point at droop.

biggjim

What are your guys thoughts on the short course 4 link set ups with a 16" coilover mounted off the axel? Should get about 20" or so. Thinking about doing it to my sons truck. Can be done for the same price if not cheaper than Deavers, hangers and shackles (unless you fab your own )
I considered it....but If i am going to go thru all the work to mount a 4 link set up I want to do it once and do a full back half. If Im going to do all that its going to get the wheel base shortened and the whole deal.