• Forum membership has its advantages....

Long Travel Toy IFS 4WD?

Dillon

Been looking, but can't find too much. Who makes a good long travel setup for pre-Tacoma IFS 4WDs? The Total Chaos one looks nice, the ATS LOOKS nice but I've heard horror stories about that shop from Tacoma owners, what other setups are out there? I don't want to get a custom setup becasue I don't have the money right now, but an established setup is more what I'm after, something tested. I'd like to keep my 4WD but know I probably won't be able to.

Any help would be great. Love this forum, been roaming for months, just never posted :)

Dillon

EQuin

Hi Dillon,

I believe Baja Concepts at www.bajaconcepts.com</A> also offers a long travel setup for IFS pre-Taco Toys, but I don't know if that is just for 2wd Toys or both, 2wd and 4wd IFS pre-Taco Toys. I don't know much about their shop or how much their setup costs, though. I know that Camburg (www.camburg.com</A>) is finalizing, or has already finalized, a long travel setup for Tacos, so they may already have a suspension setup for the pre-Taco IFS Toys. Also, I heard that Donahoe (I believe Kreg's website is at www.donahoeracing.com</A>, but I'm not entirely sure) is working on, or plans to work on a Taco long travel kit, so he also may have already developed one for the older, pre-Taco IFS Toys. Hope this helps. Take care,

Ed

Dillon

Hey Ed! This is Dillon Poole from So-Cal TTORA :) Was gonna ask Jerry at Camburg about long travel 4WD, but he was busy when I was up there with Jordan (his truck is looking pretty nuts, looks like the Camburg Ranger race truck will). The Baja Concepts kit I think is the same as the Total Chaos. Anyways, I got rid of my Tacoma, its a long story, but I'm about to buy an older Toyota and get long travel at the same time.

As for the Donohoe Tacoma thing, I think they are doing something and retaining the stock arms, not sure, just rumor.

toyoter91

hey man i have been looking for the same thing for about 6 months. i have seen you around on teh TTORA board. i am TOYOTER91 on there. see yah around.

EQuin

Hey Dillon!

Yeah, I remember you at TTORA. So you got rid of the Taco? You had an '01 Taco, right? The gossipy, curious nature in me wants to know why you got rid of it :).

Anyway, what year older Toy are you thinking of getting? You probably already know this, but if you're going to get a 90 to 95 (maybe even 88 - 95) with the older 3.0 V6, check to make sure the original headgasket was replaced with the latest headgasket. You can call Toyota and give them the VIN# so they can check their records on the headgasket. The 3.0 V6 was notorious for blowing headgaskets. I know, I used to have one.

That's pretty cool that you're going to set yours up with long travel. Off-road.com has an article on a older, IFS pre-Taco Toy that is built really well. The article is about a year or two old, but it should still be in the archives. Also, Kevin's brother Jason races an older, IFS pre-Taco Toy, but I don't remember if it's 4wd or 2wd. He and his brother post on here every once in awhile. I'm sure they could give you some info on a good shop for long travel.

Good luck with your new project truck and take care,

Ed

SuperDave

Dillion,

I've had the 2" wider Total Choas Kit from Baja Concepts for 2 years now. It's a complete bolt on kit, unlike the one from from ATS. I'd stay away from ATS, they are not customer friendly. My front suspension cycles 13.75" but I have it limited to 12" and installed SAW air bumpstops shortened to 2.25". It rides really good. I double shocked it with 2.0" Bilsteins but it would have been easier if I used one 2.5" SAW. I also spent the extra $1K for the 930 CV and logner axle conversion. The axles fit perfect, I was really pleased. While prerunning I broke the upper a-arm at the weld on the torsion bar side pivot. But Matt was cool enough to give me a free replacement. I think he's making the pivots stronger now but I would add a gusset if he already hasn't. My truck is at every MDR race if you want to check it out.

Donahoe

Dillon, Donahoe Racing does carry the Total Chaos Long Travel Kit for the older Toyota 4wd. I have some at the Shop.. I would sugjest comming down and Looking at the kit in person.. The web Pics Kinda suck. It is (in My opinion) THe CLEANEST Looking Kit I have EVER seen... Matt At Total Chaos Must Go Through ANTI-SPLATTER Like water. As Far As Performance. You will be able to Go as fast as the Stock a-arm mounts wil allow.... The Tacoma 4wd and Pre-Runner Long Travel Kit Is in the works from the EDGE.
Good Luck
Kreg Donahoe

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

EQuin

Hi Kreg,

Sorry this is somewhat off-topic, but since you mentioned the EDGE was working on the Taco long travel setup, I thought I'd ask. Do you know when it might be done? Also, will it be a bolt-on kit that can be shipped to us out-of-staters, or will it require installation at your shop? The reason I ask is because I understand the Camburg setup for the Taco requires installation at their shop.

Thanks for any extra info and take care,

Ed

Donahoe

The Kit will be 90% Bolt it. YOu will nee a little welding done to gusset the stock a-arm hangers .But any good welder can do that for you... THe kit come In a Box with all the instructions ready to install... Any one with a little truck knowladge can do it. We are looking at a September release. As of now we carry the Sway-a-way coil over kits And A awasome New rear Race Spring for the Tacomas. Rear shock mounts and Long travel are next.
Donahoe

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

EQuin

That is excellent news, Kreg. Thanks for the great info. I'm sure once it's all ready for sale to the public you'll have customers from the desert running / long travel crowd at Tacoma Territory Off Roaders Association (TTORA - www.tacomaterritory.com</A>).

I should have asked this before, but do you have a rough estimate as to how much the kit will cost?

Take care,

Ed

Jordan

Kreg,

What kind of Travel are you going to acheive? What shock are you using? What exactly comes in the kit and for how much? Thanks.

Jordan

<font color=red>"The more we play the more we pay"</font color=red>

Dillon

I was planning on a 2.5 SAW w/ reservoir anyways, glad to hear it will be easier. I know the air bumps aren't bolt-on (I'm assuming), did you buy a pre-fabbed air bump bucket or rig something else. I can't weld (gonna learn soon tho!), I want to get air bumps sometime, but probably not immediately. Glad its bolt-on, I'd like to do it myself anyways.

I'm pretty limited on my money right now (looking to spend $3500 for front and back) so I'm gonna get barebones at first, no front axles, no air bumps, but eventually I'm gonna get them down the road. I'm gonna just start with the kit w/ a 2.5 SAW reservoir (hopefully find some used ones) and probably the heavier ball joints (are they worth it?) Then gonna go Deavers in back with 3" SAWs (again, hopefully used) in a hoop. I'm not looking to race my truck, just to have alot of damn fun, so this should hold me over for awhile.

You gonna be out at Primm? Or do you ever make IP meetings? would love to see it up close.

Thanks!
Dillon

Donahoe

Guys nothing is set in stone as of now. Its a Fine line between BOLT ON and Achiving Lots of wheel travel. The EDGE is working on it now. All I can say For Sure is This: It will come with Sway-a-way Coil overs...New Spindles....Longer Arms... And More Ground Clearance.... As far as Cost... YOur guess is as good as mine right now. Look for is in Late September... We will offically Launch the New Taco Kit at the OFF-ROAD EXPO...

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

drtdevil93

hey, whats up with all the ats bashing i always hear? If you know Scott, you know he is a good guy, and if youve seen his truck, you know he makes bitchin stuff. Im getting the front end on my truck done (the big frontend) by him, and any one that has something negative to say, i will be more than glad to take you for a ride. im hoping to have it together for the next mdr race at lucerne. ill be at the deaver contingency booth.

erik

Jordan

The problem is what he sells and what he runs on his truck are completly different qualities...

Sure he is a nice guy I will give you that. But, his company is shady. Every pair of ATS arms I see are different. Every person I have met with his setup eventually wants to get rid of it. So many people I have met didnt get receipts for their stuff and he wouldnt help them down the line. I heard WAY to many negative comments to go with ATS when I was researching long travel for my truck.

I decided to go with Camburg because I never heard bad things about their products. The only comments I got slightly negative were they are expensive and too busy. I have run my own business before and I will tell you those are both good comments if you think about it.

I only do business with people who have a reputable shop and I know will be around in 10 years.

Jordan

<font color=red>"The more we play the more we pay"</font color=red>

gary

i got my ATS front end about a year ago, and it wasn't the best experience. if you want to know more, email me...not trying to bash, just helping out....

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I'd like to say that about 3 years ago, I purchased a set of a arms for my 4runner. It took forever, so I cancled my order. They said that the money would be in the mail. Weeks later, I got a check for about 60% of what I had sent them. They said that they had like a 40% restocking fee. Make a long story short, I lost a lot of money. I hope ATS reads this cause they can kiss my ass! One of these days I'm going to be in their neck of the woods and might just stop by. And I'll be glad to see them!
Please don't buy from ATS,
Freddy Edgmeon
Chattanooga, Tn

drtdevil93

think of it from their side:

you get an order to make a frontend, you start, bend up a couple pieces, and then they call and say nevermind. what about the labor, the parts, etc. 40% is pretty high, ill agree on that. now you can probably sell it to someone else, but not right away, and that time you set aside to build it you dont make any money. when you send someone money to build a frontend, you should be pretty set that they are what you want, and should probably find out how long it will take them.

I am big on this subject cuz it happens to us at deaver a lot and it really sucks for us.

erik

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Thats a good point, but in my opinion, they hadn't even started on the a arms. That's why I cancled the order because they kept delaying with them. Hey, if they already had them made, then I'd said send them on.
-Freddy