• Forum membership has its advantages....

Long-Travel TTB

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I know that TTB's have been beaten into the ground, but I have a question that I don't think has come up. My dad and I are planning a project 4x4 rig built pretty much from the ground up, and I want a TTB front. The frame and axles will be a 80-96 F150 SWB 4x4.

Here's my question. What can be done to maximize wheel travel in the TTB without increasing ride height by more than 2 inches? Also, how much travel can be expected? I don't really want to extend the beams, to save money. Thanks in advance for all your help.

David - No one of consequence.

SDranger

I have a ranger with a TTB front end and i get about 16-17" of travel with stock length beams, more is possible if you want. I'm pretty sure that you could bend the beams to achieve a 2" lift, and extended radius arms would help in the travel department. Also, get coils with more than 2" of lift and you can make extended coil buckets so that you only have a 2" lift, but get more droop out of the coil. Of course, longer shocks would also allow the suspension to have more travel. you can check out pics of my front end at http://www.geocities.com/dezertrat0

good luck on your project!

rdc

See, I was thinking maybe coilovers, too? I knew extended radius arms, how long could I make them before I get trouble or lose the benefits? I'm seriously considering custom work for the arms.

SDranger

Ya, coilovers are totally doable, i didn't go that way because i wanted to keep my a/c and it costs a little more. As far as radius arms go, mine go to the transmission crossmember, and i've seen longer with no problems.

Get some Donahoe racing extended radius arms, save up and extend the beams 3 inches, mount a coilover and your done, you could probably pull 19" out of that setup.

Timberwlf

I have a question that kinda relates to this..

I have a 94 Ranger 4x4 W/ The TTB and Custom Extended Radius arms. But my debate has been this...Do I go with dual rate Coilovers or do I go with a By-Pass Setup up front?? The Rear has 16'' King By-passes and Deaver Pre-Runner packs and pulls 18'' travel

Thanks
Brandon
AKA Timberwlf

94 Ranger X-Cab 4x4 4.0L Pre-Runner/ Chase Truck/ Future 7 Unlimited Race Truck

rdc

How much would it cost to extend the beams 3 inches? Also, is that necessary? I'd like to keep it on the cheap to some extent (and yet I speak of coilovers....). I need any ideas I can get.

SDranger

I don't think extending the beams is necessary, my truck has 17" in front, and another truck with the same setup but diffrent shocks and a longer slip yoke in the axle shaft has 19". As far as cost on extending i don't really know, but it can add up because you need custom axleshafts.

rdc

SDRanger - can you tell me more about your setup, or the 19" setup?