Longest Baja 1000 Race Ironman effort overall and modern era?

Zac Reish

Reaction
God I need to man up. I can’t even imagine 20 straight hours. I feel like my Baja experiences have been the opposite to all the studs on this thread. Typically after my sections done. Say 10 hours in the drivers seat has been pretty standard for me in Baja and doing about 300 miles. No matter morning day or night. I’m dead to the world 10-15 minutes after I get inside the chase vehicle. I don’t know how guys can race, for 10-20 hours then get out and drive and still be able to stay awake and function safely. Especially when you don’t sleep much the night before the race and can’t sleep at all leading up to when it’s time for you to get in the race car.

Last edited:

JDDurfey

Reaction
I know you specifically said 4 wheel vehicle, but there was a guy that finished the Baja 2000 solo on a motorcycle. He finished well before the cut off time. The team I was wrenching/chasing for was way down and we were running about the same pace as he was for a while. I was at the finish line when he crossed. He couldn't get off the bike without help. I don't remember his name, maybe Jeremy? A couple of years earlier he finished 5th motorcycle in the 1000 as an Ironman. I believe he crashed a few years later and now is a paraplegic.

In 07 I navigated for a guy that was trying to drive the whole race in a Class 1, but the motor blew at San Juanico, ending our race. I got in the car with him at San Matias and got out at San Ignacio. I don't know if he would have managed to drive the whole race, he was pretty tired when I got out.

43mod

Reaction
Chase entire race is harder . After 43 hrs i was the only one w any energy and walked around for a couple of hours . All others were dead . Must be the danger factor of chasing vs being safely strapped in .

landshark

Reaction
myself and my co-driver completed the 2017 peninsula race in 44 hours 16 mins 17 seconds .... never got out of the car except to dig out of silt and repair .... that was a long day
just getting out helps but very little in 44 hours.. that allot of seat time and blisters from the wheel.

Would a realistic expectation of the 2021 peninsula run be 1200 miles with an average of 25 mph roughly be a 48-50 hour cut off?

JDDurfey

Reaction
Chase entire race is harder . After 43 hrs i was the only one w any energy and walked around for a couple of hours . All others were dead . Must be the danger factor of chasing vs being safely strapped in .
I chased the entire Baja 2000. From the time I got up in Ensenada to the time I went to bed in Cabo was 48 hrs. It took us 44 hours to complete the race. I got an hour or two of sleep while waiting at a couple of road crossings the first night, but none the second night. I drove all the way to Cabo in a little Nissan chasing a pro bike.

JDDurfey

Reaction
Oilfield trash aint too smart 😉
I carried a spare bike with me on the way down. After a couple days rest, my friend and I drove straight through from Cabo to Ensenada in a little Nissan with two XR 650s and all our gear piled in the back. We did it in about 20 hours. We slept about 5 hours. Picked up a bike trailer we left in Ensenada and my XR and headed to Phoenix.