• Forum membership has its advantages....

Look Who is Hopping a Flight to the Dakar...

spalind

From his Twitter feed. He is heading over to hang out during the remainder of the race and fraternize with the drivers....He has spent WAY too much time flirting with the Dakar over the past few years to NOT run it in the near future...he is following the Sainz model of transitioning from WRC to Rally-Raid. He has his hands full with tarmac racing this year...but '15? and on a factory team?? Look out....

Bdock5CIYAA744a.jpg

notime

NTR Films media guy
So Loeb/RedBull/Peugot combo sounds more close every day??

in a UTV somebody eyes popped for sure LOL J/K

saw same thing on his FB a few minutes a go!

Short Bus

It would be big deal for Dakar if he does race next year. He would bring a lot of attention to Dakar and get a lot of people interested that might not have considered it before. Plus, if anyone is thinking about trying to put together a Dakar project, tell potential sponsors you will be racing against Seb Loeb and they might suddenly become more interested.

SteveRacer

As great as he is, he will need a few Dakars under his belt before he can compete for a win. He was amazing at WRC event he had done before. He wasnt always top dog when he was on new stages.

michalCCR

Loeb + Peugeot seem to be a perfect combo ...to be bashed here on RDC. It's inevitable, they are French after all ;)

SteveRacer

I have no doubt they will both be successful. Just not the first year. Its also a good thing for the Dakar to get more big name drivers and teams.

JPBart

Loeb isn't human. He is why I stopped watching WRC. You knew he was going to win. Amazing driver I would really like to see in Dakar. No way could he dominate right out of the box since it is a different type of racing but I bet it wouldn't take him long to get the hang of it and start putting some pressure on the regulars.

9five9

Loeb is definitely a robot. But what I love is how chill he's always been...especially these last two years. Definitely the coolest thing to ever come out of France.

Short Bus

Loeb isn't human. He is why I stopped watching WRC. You knew he was going to win. Amazing driver I would really like to see in Dakar. No way could he dominate right out of the box since it is a different type of racing but I bet it wouldn't take him long to get the hang of it and start putting some pressure on the regulars.
You aren't the first person I heard say that. I like Loeb, think he is amazingly talented, but it got boring knowing he was going to win almost every time. I was just thinking this morning about how the situation with Mini winning every time is a similar situation for ASO/Dakar.

randy s

As great as he is, he will need a few Dakars under his belt before he can compete for a win. He was amazing at WRC event he had done before. He wasnt always top dog when he was on new stages.
wanna bet?..

randy s

sainz was a wrc champ and how long did it take him?

SteveRacer

You want to bet that he wins his first year out? Ill take that.

His final year in WRC they showed a stat at one of the races. He DNFd or didnt win the rallys that they competed on for the first time. Second time around was another story.

SteveRacer

Year Class Vehicle Position Stages won
2006 Car Volkswagen 11 4
2007 Car Volkswagen 9 5
2008 Event cancelled
2009 Car Volkswagen DNF 6
2010 Car Volkswagen 1 2
2011 Car Volkswage 3 7
2013 Demon Jefferies DNF 1
2014 SMG TBD 1

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
I am more worried about a first year Peugeot effort than I am worried about Leob. I think it is a long shot, but he could win in his first year. He is that good!

SteveRacer

I am more worried about a first year Peugeot effort than I am worried about Leob. I think it is a long shot, but he could win in his first year. He is that good!
VW first Dakar 2003, first win 2009
Mini first Dakar 2003, first win 2012
Mitsubishi first Dakar 1983, first win 1985

except the 2 years Schlesser won it, these 3 teams account for all the Dakar wins dating back to 1997

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
VW first Dakar 2003, first win 2009
Mini first Dakar 2003, first win 2012
Mitsubishi first Dakar 1983, first win 1985

except the 2 years Schlesser won it, these 3 teams account for all the Dakar wins dating back to 1997
I am not sure what you are saying. I said that I am more worried about a first year Peugeot effort. It takes a while to come up with a winning car. Leob on the other hand knows rally, knows nav, has raced on virtually every surface on earth. He will have a learning curve, and there is the two week format which is grueling. Maybe we are in violent agreement, as I believe Leob has the tallent but it will take Peugeot a while to produce a winner.

Chris Tobin

Knowing WRC rally nav is very different than knowing Rally Raid nav! In WRC every turn, bump, hill etc... is marked in the stage notes while in Rally Raid they only make the most dangerous things and give headings to the next waypoint... Wild Hog and Darren S. have explained that it is VERY different.

Short Bus

There is some speculation the Peugeot will work with SMG and develop the SMG buggies further. Sainz has all but confirmed he will be driving for Peugeot. Sainz has had a relationship with SMG (prior to this year) and Peugeot would get a relatively well developed program. They would hope to avoid some of the teething problems. And they are French.