• Forum membership has its advantages....

Look who's testing in Parker.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
I would love to see them at the 1000. How many fuel stops would they need to make? Maybe three? If they had a clean run I certainly could see a top five. PD...I am with you in needing to shake Loeb's hand. IMO...probably the best driver in the world, and this from a rabid F1, Indy, and off road fan.

RedRide

My guess is that they would have a tough time in the big bumps. I think their results would be based on the % of the 1000 that has whoops. They would outperform a TT in all other areas.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Bricoop

I would love to see them at the 1000. How many fuel stops would they need to make? Maybe three? If they had a clean run I certainly could see a top five. PD...I am with you in needing to shake Loeb's hand. IMO...probably the best driver in the world, and this from a rabid F1, Indy, and off road fan.
How many miles is this year's 1000? 3 stops sounds about right. What a huge advantage having closed cabin AC would be on driver fatigue. They would get smoked on the big bumps, but I bet they out accelerate a TT to a 100 and stop more quickly too. Their budget is probably 10x that of RPM or any other large American off-road shop...oh to have factory support. I wonder if they would run it with a restrictor. We can dream, but it isn't that far fetched. Red Bull is about 10 years out since their last dakar vehicle made a run in Baja.

spalind

Reportedly they were testing in AZ because the terrain there is similar to what they expect in the Dakar...shame RG wasn't present...

Mark Newhan

How many miles is this year's 1000? 3 stops sounds about right. What a huge advantage having closed cabin AC would be on driver fatigue. They would get smoked on the big bumps, but I bet they out accelerate a TT to a 100 and stop more quickly too. Their budget is probably 10x that of RPM or any other large American off-road shop...oh to have factory support. I wonder if they would run it with a restrictor. We can dream, but it isn't that far fetched. Red Bull is about 10 years out since their last dakar vehicle made a run in Baja.
I don't agree with most of this. The Pug might be quick, but would have to slow for terrain that I know the truck I drive would crush. The fuel range of the Pug is a moot point, since the most competitive TT teams do fuel and tires in about 30 seconds. The AC wouldn't be much of an advantage, since the majority of the peninsula run is at night. Reality is that it's different horses for different courses. The Pug's would habe a pace similar to the most competitive class 1, which isn't slow. Similar travel, similar wheel base, similar power and so on.

The Pug's would habe a pace similar to the most competitive class 1, which isn't slow. Similar travel, similar wheel base, similar power and so on.
How fast would a CL1 be with a factory budget? These are much better suspended than the Vdub's and look how well they did.

Dakar fuel range is supposed to be 500 miles I think. So that would make it a 2 stop race.

Mark Newhan

How fast would a CL1 be with a factory budget? These are much better suspended than the Vdub's and look how well they did.

Dakar fuel range is supposed to be 500 miles I think. So that would make it a 2 stop race.
The VW's were all wheel drive, which makes them faster on the roads in Baja. Also, the TT's that were around when the VW's ran the 500 weren't comparable to what we are racing today. They've come a long way in 5 years.

Dirty Harry

I don't agree with most of this. The Pug might be quick, but would have to slow for terrain that I know the truck I drive would crush.
In the rough a TT would definitely be faster than a Peugeot but in the corners these cars handle better than anything that races in Baja (and the guys driving them don't hurt matters either). I agree though, different tool for a different application.

Mark Newhan

In the rough a TT would definitely be faster than a Peugeot but in the corners these cars handle better than anything that races in Baja (and the guys driving them don't hurt matters either). I agree though, different tool for a different application.
The new longer Pug's won't be quite as nimble as the earlier ones. If we took a TT and put more emphasis on cornering, it'd be a different story. A Pug would die on the Parker course on lap 3, same with the Mint course. VtoR might be a different story. TT's used to be closer to the Pug's in weight and wheel travel. But we've moved on from that era. We are heavier, more wheel travel, bigger shocks and way more HP.