1. Forum membership has its advantages....
    Dismiss Notice

Look who's testing in Parker.

Discussion in 'Rally Raid' started by crazyeye, Jun 26, 2017.

1. crazyeye

crazyeye Well-Known Member

Puegeot!!! Never thought I'd see one of these here. FB_IMG_1498528269073.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

(+11) 11 people like this.
  2. Mark Newhan

Mark Newhan Well-Known Member

That's cool.

3. RedRide

RedRide Well-Known Member

What now, testing their fancy cars 6 months before the race even begins...so arrogant

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

(+2) 2 people like this.
  4. pdailey

pdailey Racer

Really cool. Wonder if Loeb made the trip. Would love to shake that dudes hand one day.

(+3) 3 people like this.
  5. Bricoop

Bricoop Well-Known Member

Don't they race them year round?

6. pdailey

pdailey Racer

Baja 1000 sure would make a great test before Dakar this year....

(+3) 3 people like this.
  7. bajaxp

bajaxp Baja Bobsled Team

I would love to see them at the 1000. How many fuel stops would they need to make? Maybe three? If they had a clean run I certainly could see a top five. PD...I am with you in needing to shake Loeb's hand. IMO...probably the best driver in the world, and this from a rabid F1, Indy, and off road fan.

(+3) 3 people like this.
  8. RedRide

RedRide Well-Known Member

My guess is that they would have a tough time in the big bumps. I think their results would be based on the % of the 1000 that has whoops. They would outperform a TT in all other areas.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

(+1) 1 person likes this.
  9. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Well-Known Member

I was definitely more excited to meet him in Bolivia than he was to meet me!

IMG_5280.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

(+13) 13 people like this.
  10. Desert Dog

Desert Dog Dakar Finisher

I'm more concerned with the garland of coca leafs that you are sporting Dirty! :) :)

(+3) 3 people like this.
  11. E. Araiza

E. Araiza Moderator

12. offroadracer516

offroadracer516 Well-Known Member

Seems like they are suspension testing.

13. Bricoop

Bricoop Well-Known Member

How many miles is this year's 1000? 3 stops sounds about right. What a huge advantage having closed cabin AC would be on driver fatigue. They would get smoked on the big bumps, but I bet they out accelerate a TT to a 100 and stop more quickly too. Their budget is probably 10x that of RPM or any other large American off-road shop...oh to have factory support. I wonder if they would run it with a restrictor. We can dream, but it isn't that far fetched. Red Bull is about 10 years out since their last dakar vehicle made a run in Baja.

14. spalind

spalind Well-Known Member

Reportedly they were testing in AZ because the terrain there is similar to what they expect in the Dakar...shame RG wasn't present...

15. GBRACER

GBRACER Well-Known Member

the 1000 is also to close to the Dakar the money they throw at these efforts the TT guys heads would spin.

16. Mark Newhan

I don't agree with most of this. The Pug might be quick, but would have to slow for terrain that I know the truck I drive would crush. The fuel range of the Pug is a moot point, since the most competitive TT teams do fuel and tires in about 30 seconds. The AC wouldn't be much of an advantage, since the majority of the peninsula run is at night. Reality is that it's different horses for different courses. The Pug's would habe a pace similar to the most competitive class 1, which isn't slow. Similar travel, similar wheel base, similar power and so on.

(+3) 3 people like this.
  17. partybarge_pilot

partybarge_pilot Well-Known Member

How fast would a CL1 be with a factory budget? These are much better suspended than the Vdub's and look how well they did.

Dakar fuel range is supposed to be 500 miles I think. So that would make it a 2 stop race.

18. Mark Newhan

The VW's were all wheel drive, which makes them faster on the roads in Baja. Also, the TT's that were around when the VW's ran the 500 weren't comparable to what we are racing today. They've come a long way in 5 years.

19. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Well-Known Member

In the rough a TT would definitely be faster than a Peugeot but in the corners these cars handle better than anything that races in Baja (and the guys driving them don't hurt matters either). I agree though, different tool for a different application.

(+2) 2 people like this.
  20. Mark Newhan

The new longer Pug's won't be quite as nimble as the earlier ones. If we took a TT and put more emphasis on cornering, it'd be a different story. A Pug would die on the Parker course on lap 3, same with the Mint course. VtoR might be a different story. TT's used to be closer to the Pug's in weight and wheel travel. But we've moved on from that era. We are heavier, more wheel travel, bigger shocks and way more HP.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted