• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic Looking at Oval Track Racing

Stingray63Vette

This probably isn't the best for to ask for help about asphalt oval track racing, but is sure it helpful. I love this forum! You guys provide great advice and information.

As well as looking at getting into baja racing and designing some CVT projects, I am thinking about checking out the asphalt oval racing scene. Not sure if any of you recognize my username. I'm the Virginian; I'm a slight bit far away from most people on here. I'm also far away from desert racing. But I did find some oval tracks here!

I'm probably going to buy a used prerunner off the classifieds soon, utilizing the advice gleaned from the off-road experts on here. I might modify it, and mess with some two-stage CVT concepts- don't really know yet.

Anyway, stock car racing sort of caught my attention a while ago as well. I'm not crazy; I don't think I'll ever be a NASCAR driver. There's some nearby oval racetracks I will check out soon- if I do want to get into this, I'll know the places.

My major questions are centered on getting into the scene. I want to do it for the fun, not money. I want the noise and power of big stock car muscle!

It's probably insanely hard for a teenager to get his own team started, isn't it? I don't know any teams that would let me race for them, and I don't have anything like Skip Barber training.

What do you guys think? Not too worried about costs, but can't really go over 50k. I figure 30k for a used Sportsman class car, and the rest for equipment and support. Hopefully, I can get some sponsors after a while.

That's another point: I have to get some cred if I want sponsors to believe in me. But... how do I do that if I can't race without their help?

And a team. Where do I find a crew for pit stops (if the races are even long enough)? I know not to get a manager. That's been drilled into my head by online guides. Besides, I can manage my own company I have right now. Paperwork and everything is gonna be tough.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. I think it may be smarter to see if I can drive for a team. I just don't know any local teams...

Baja seems slighter easier to get into- be a chase truck, become part of the support team, show you're good at driving, co drive, then race. But there's none of that in this... How should I go about this?

EDIT: Thought for a bit. Had an idea. I know the guys that do this typically aren't ever going to be on the podium, but... how about buying a seat on a team? Not sure why I didn't think of this first, but how would that work?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Last edited:

Stingray63Vette

This probably isn't the best for to ask for help about asphalt oval track racing, but is sure it helpful. I love this forum! You guys provide great advice and information.

As well as looking at getting into baja racing and designing some CVT projects, I am thinking about checking out the asphalt oval racing scene. Not sure if any of you recognize my username. I'm the Virginian; I'm a slight bit far away from most people on here. I'm also far away from desert racing. But I did find some oval tracks here!

I'm probably going to buy a used prerunner off the classifieds soon, utilizing the advice gleaned from the off-road experts on here. I might modify it, and mess with some two-stage CVT concepts- don't really know yet.

Anyway, stock car racing sort of caught my attention a while ago as well. I'm not crazy; I don't think I'll ever be a NASCAR driver. There's some nearby oval racetracks I will check out soon- if I do want to get into this, I'll know the places.

My major questions are centered on getting into the scene. I want to do it for the fun, not money. I want the noise and power of big stock car muscle!

It's probably insanely hard for a teenager to get his own team started, isn't it? I don't know any teams that would let me race for them, and I don't have anything like Skip Barber training.

What do you guys think? Not too worried about costs, but can't really go over 50k. I figure 30k for a used Sportsman class car, and the rest for equipment and support. Hopefully, I can get some sponsors after a while.

That's another point: I have to get some cred if I want sponsors to believe in me. But... how do I do that if I can't race without their help?

And a team. Where do I find a crew for pit stops (if the races are even long enough)? I know not to get a manager. That's been drilled into my head by online guides. Besides, I can manage my own company I have right now. Paperwork and everything is gonna be tough.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. I think it may be smarter to see if I can drive for a team. I just don't know any local teams...

Baja seems slighter easier to get into- be a chase truck, become part of the support team, show you're good at driving, co drive, then race. But there's none of that in this... How should I go about this?

EDIT: Thought for a bit. Had an idea. I know the guys that do this typically aren't ever going to be on the podium, but... how about buying a seat on a team? Not sure why I didn't think of this first, but how would that work?

*It's supposed to say "This forum is probably not the best one..."-*

43mod

start with a running IMCA sport mod for 8-10 k and go race dirt. A crappy setup can still be pretty fun and you will learn. Asphalt and a crappy setup are positively no fun at all. A 30 k sportsman car will leave you broke and watching in about 2 races.

Stingray63Vette

Interesting. The only reason I don't quite like the idea of racing dirt tracks is the way it's done. They have the wierd tilted suspension and one way steering. Not quite like real road racing... But hey, I'll look at it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Stingray63Vette

Yeah, I have no idea how to race like that. They drift around the entire track! I would be a total washout at my first race. I know how to feel what an asphalt car feels on the road.

The only bright side is that I don't really need to worry about tires, and the car price range you stated is definitely correct on racingjunk.com!

What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert