looking for a good spot to go camping in the socal area.

mikewaller

Reaction
I am looking for a place to take my family on a little camping trip this summer. we are looking for something close to the southern California area.Please dont say baja or the desert. we are talking tent camping in august. looking for somewhere that might have bathrooms

Stimpy

Reaction
San Elijo State beach. Its awesome. Central location close to San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park, and Sea World.

Great times with the family over the years!

BGRANT

Reaction
Sometimes it is hard to get last minute reservations at any of the State Beach Campgrounds. Sometimes if you just show up you can capitalize on last minute cancelations.

mikewaller

Reaction
we are trying to plan something. like 3 families at least. so showing up last minute is not going to work

scott-dsms

Orange
Reaction

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
San Elijo State beach. Its awesome. Central location close to San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park, and Sea World.

Great times with the family over the years!
Impossible to get reservations there. San Onofre (alongside I-5 freeway) Nimrod here should know?

Perfect Race

Reaction
Most of the state parks are sold out 6 months in advance. You can always call and check for cancellations which does work also. I go to Vail lake a few times a year (in motorhome) in Temecula. They allow tent camping and a lot of the spots have shade trees and they have three pools. It might be a little warm still in August. It is not on the lake either but still good. Friends go to San Elijo every year and love it.
Drive 5 hours if you can and camp in Big Sur, nice and cool. We stay at Fernwood, a private campground that is great. Lots of others around and there is no better coast drive getting there.

dezertgirl

"RDC's Social Butterfly"
Reaction
I would suggest Big Bear or Idylwild, they are both beautiful mountain towns with lot of activities... hiking, water, dining, shopping, etc.

Since it is summertime its harder to get a spot... especially more than one. Check reservations online for the mountain cities and if they have none a Forest Adventure Pass is $35 and $5 for one additional vehicle and you can camp pretty much any where in the Forest as long as you are 50 or more feet from the road, no fires this time of year and pack it in pack it out.

Have fun where ever you decide to go!!

BGRANT

Reaction
Do you or does anybody in your party have active or retired military status? The North and South end of Pendelton have some great camp areas, San Onofre and Camp Del Mar (not the city). It is still hard to get last minute reservations but there are a lot of cancellations. I just cancelled a week at DMJs because of my foot injury (should have left today). My father in law is a retired officer and we have stayed at either San O or DMJs every year for the last 12 years. Before that it was san Elijo for about 10 years. DMJs is a great beach break with nice sandy beaches just North of Oside Harbor and San O is right below Churches, the beach is not as good there for the little kids but the surf can be real good. It's just on the other side of the fence from San O State Beach.

Shaggy

Reaction
I would suggest Big Bear or Idylwild, they are both beautiful mountain towns with lot of activities... hiking, water, dining, shopping, etc.

Since it is summertime its harder to get a spot... especially more than one. Check reservations online for the mountain cities and if they have none a Forest Adventure Pass is $35 and $5 for one additional vehicle and you can camp pretty much any where in the Forest as long as you are 50 or more feet from the road, no fires this time of year and pack it in pack it out.

Have fun where ever you decide to go!!
X2

Have a family cabin in Big Bear. Much cooler for tent camping. So is Idyllwild. I'm 15 minutes away from there.

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
I am looking for a place to take my family on a little camping trip this summer. we are looking for something close to the southern California area.Please dont say baja or the desert. we are talking tent camping in august. looking for somewhere that might have bathrooms
Wrightwood, CA is close to you, in the mountains and usually not crowded. See the GOV camping site for Wrightwood, CA

PBR

Reaction
leo carillo beach/park just north of malibu is really cool and the weather is great. also a little further north, just north of santa barbara are el capitan and refugio state parks, also very cool.

Chase 2

Reaction
Lake Casitas (above Ventura between Ojai & Santa Barbara) or Lake Cachuma between Santa Barbara & Santa Ynez have tons of camp sites. No swimming but good fishing.

Chase 2

Reaction
The Kern River area is hot and has very dangerous water.