• Forum membership has its advantages....

Looking for advice before buying a new SxS

novaman64

Well finally started on the clutch. Pulled the secondary yesterday and put in the new spring and helix. Didn’t have a T60 for the primary, need to pick one up at some point this week.

novaman64

Primary spring is in as well as the new arms. Recommendation from heel to toe is 2,2,1,1. Be curious to see how close that is with the tires I have...

novaman64

So previously since putting in the clutch kit I have been playing on some shorter trail rides, nothing wide open. Got up to the dez yesterday. 4500ft elevation, tock ecu tune, stock exhaust, 32" ITP Ultra Cross, passenger in car, hit 72mph (on GPS) at 8,700rpm. Ordered up a Trinity full exhaust, and an Alba tune, then it will be time to get the clutch totally dialed in.

I will say this is the first ride with the new Shock Therapy springs. Wow, what a difference Was running the shocks (still stock valving) in the number 2 position. Blasted a fast trail I have ran a few times before (setting 3 on the shocks), G outs would definitely bottom out and not feel good. Now with the springs, and the shocks in a softer position, was blasting through the G outs at the same speed (even a bit faster) and didnt even know they were there. Without question the best mod I have done.

novaman64

Is the aftermarket header legal now ?
Not in SCORE Pro Stock class, which you think they would allow it for NA cars, but not forced induction. Not sure if its worth arguing the point since they are running NA and FI all together so the NA cars are a a HP deficit.

NORRA and BITD both allow headers though. Reality of it is, with the cost of SCORE I might do 1 or 2 more as a novelty to say I did it, but dont think I would be competitive (and can always swap stock exhaust back if needed), but majority of the other race series you can run a full system.

43mod

Got it. So when i pay your sf250 entry we will have to put the stocker back on 😊. Down here now shopping fir a house that will work for a race team, trailers etc. should be working on my xx but you cant be in two places at once.

novaman64

Got it. So when i pay your sf250 entry we will have to put the stocker back on 😊. Down here now shopping fir a house that will work for a race team, trailers etc. should be working on my xx but you cant be in two places at once.
I would swap a stock exhaust back out for that.. :D

novaman64

Waiting for the class specific rulebooks to get posted, but I am thinking I might try and race the Mint 400 this year.

novaman64

Not sure why (because we all know racing is expensive) but I am having a really hard time coming to terms with coughing up $3,800 for a Speed/Pyrotect Fuel cell. I was looking at some of the different brands, and am talking to Jim Harmon with Harmon Racing Cells.

I can try and make something work in stock location (custom fab still would be cheaper than the SpeedSxS cell) and would come with a FIA certification.

Other option I am considering, loosing the stock "bed" (black pan the spare would ride in). Then using one of the production Harmon Racing "tapered end" cells that is 40" wide (would fit between where the c pillars tie into the rear frame section). This would put it just behind the oil tank, bottom would be 14", top would be 7" and it would be 14" tall. Would have to do some good shielding, then could run the filler to the small gap between the B&C pillars just behind the seat (with appropriate shielding). Cell would cost me about $1600 and hold 22 gallons. Hard part for me is getting over the fear of having the fuel cell mounted directly over the engine/header. From there would extend the rear of the frame out so that it could still hold a 32" spare (could build a custom mount for the spare so it sat at a slight angle (part of the cell would be under it). This would also raise the center of gravity and shift it back slightly.

Thoughts?

Sdracer

Not sure why (because we all know racing is expensive) but I am having a really hard time coming to terms with coughing up $3,800 for a Speed/Pyrotect Fuel cell. I was looking at some of the different brands, and am talking to Jim Harmon with Harmon Racing Cells.

I can try and make something work in stock location (custom fab still would be cheaper than the SpeedSxS cell) and would come with a FIA certification.

Other option I am considering, loosing the stock "bed" (black pan the spare would ride in). Then using one of the production Harmon Racing "tapered end" cells that is 40" wide (would fit between where the c pillars tie into the rear frame section). This would put it just behind the oil tank, bottom would be 14", top would be 7" and it would be 14" tall. Would have to do some good shielding, then could run the filler to the small gap between the B&C pillars just behind the seat (with appropriate shielding). Cell would cost me about $1600 and hold 22 gallons. Hard part for me is getting over the fear of having the fuel cell mounted directly over the engine/header. From there would extend the rear of the frame out so that it could still hold a 32" spare (could build a custom mount for the spare so it sat at a slight angle (part of the cell would be under it). This would also raise the center of gravity and shift it back slightly.

Thoughts?
I really want to draw up a tank that would sit under both seats and straddle the radiator lines and driveshaft. Should be able to get over a 20 Gal set up.

My very very last resort would be to put a tank up high above the engine. Silver Bullet on here is having a hard time shock tuning the back of his car that is set up that way.

Robin Hood

Thoughts?
I'm like you and have a hard time swallowing some of today's prices. The path of least resistance will probably prevail to be the less expensive option in the long run.

43mod

RH that's the point I got to, just wanting to be safe and move forward . Over the header/engine was not an option for safety as well as center of gravity . The Speed cell is a good bit of artwork and I would not want to have to design or re create it,I looked at every cell specific to all UTVs and they are all costly, 4 seaters w generic size in back seat is the lowest cost . In order to get the codog seat mounted I trimmed off the rear tabs and fabricated new mounts just under seat belt holes (prp seats). For the front I made a removable cross member that is seat mount and cell retainer. This was the only way to get the seat as low as possible w the cell. It is still higher than the driver.

fastcash

Thoughts?
novaman64
We also struggled with the price of the Speed cell, after looking around for options we determined that the Speed
set-up was the best option for us. The low center of gravity / location / safety were the main points.
Add the Speed seats and you have a pretty good proven solution. We modified the pass seat mounts
to lower the seat aprox. 1 inch over the Speed mounts. We then installed a short navigator for better weight
distribution.
Adding weight up high and rearward hurts the handling of the car in a big way ( don't ask me how much work/time
it cost to find out).
Building your own cell is a option, but in my humble opinion keep it under the pass seat. In the situation where
you have strangers adding fuel to the car do you want them dumping it on the motor or dumping it on the
ground?
Spare tire in the tub not behind the bumper.
Just our opinions on what is working for us.
We're getting ready for the Norra 1000 again, can't get enough of this stuff.
Happy New Year, Chris

NIKAL

novaman64
We also struggled with the price of the Speed cell, after looking around for options we determined that the Speed
set-up was the best option for us. The low center of gravity / location / safety were the main points.
Add the Speed seats and you have a pretty good proven solution. We modified the pass seat mounts
to lower the seat aprox. 1 inch over the Speed mounts. We then installed a short navigator for better weight
distribution.
Adding weight up high and rearward hurts the handling of the car in a big way ( don't ask me how much work/time
it cost to find out).
Building your own cell is a option, but in my humble opinion keep it under the pass seat. In the situation where
you have strangers adding fuel to the car do you want them dumping it on the motor or dumping it on the
ground?
Spare tire in the tub not behind the bumper.
Just our opinions on what is working for us.
We're getting ready for the Norra 1000 again, can't get enough of this stuff.
Happy New Year, Chris
What sort of firewall do you have between the cell and seat bottom/drivers compartment? Also how are the fuel lines run? Out of the top of the cell?

43mod

from every rig I have seen it is not the cell that needs the firewall it is the filler neck . The rules may read a little different than this but there are many tagged UTVs and buggies this way.

fastcash

What sort of firewall do you have between the cell and seat bottom/drivers compartment? Also how are the fuel lines run? Out of the top of the cell?
Nikal,
We don't use anything between the aluminum fuel cell and btm of the seat. We have discussed the possibility but haven't done
anything yet. The side mounted filler neck has a aluminum panel and the body for leakage protection (???). The filler itself
was built to have only a very short section of rubber hose between it and the cell.
The factory fuel pump module fits on the top rear of the cell just like the factory fuel tank. The fuel supply hose / gauge and power
supply all exit the cell in very close proximity to the stock location.
Chris

43mod

If required a blanket of appropriate material would be about the only way to get it done. Tin work would be beyond a nightmare.

43mod

If you look at my xx thread you can see out welded in filler neck panel. I am going to have the bottom door skin lip under the welded panel to keep spilled fuel out of the cab. I like the idea of keeping the fill point well below the door bars. Gasoline chemical burns are no fun as well as fire