• Forum membership has its advantages....

Looking for advice before buying a new SxS

NIKAL

The reason I asked about the firewall is the Score Rules clearly state that you must have a firewall between the drivers compartment & the fuel cell and connections, and a firewall between the engine and drivers compartment.

But it seems this rule enforcement is subjective to Score Tech, the vehicle, builder & owner. I knew someone who had a class 12 car with the cell behind the seats like all 12 & 10 cars. Yet he was told he had to fab up a firewall or he could not race. Then you have a top class 10 car builder that has never put a firewall between the seats & cell and none of his cars are told to fix. Same situation with 1600 & 5/1600. One tech guy never says anything, next tech guy wants to know where your firewall is.,

I saw a RZR with an under seat cell and the rubber filler neck hose connected to the cell between the two seats. If the hose clamp failed the fuel would splash or pour out on both passengers. Fuel lines also ran between the seats. Somehow it too passed Corey from BITD tech??

Kind of scary, so many scared of a stock plastic tank, with stock plastic firewall, but feel so safe with a cell & fuel lines strapped under their butts.

I also find it interesting how many fuel necks and “splash guards” are mounted in the area over the exhaust or rear brakes. Over the years I’ve seen several buggys have flash fires due to fuel hitting the header or running off the splash shield onto the rear trailing arm and run right onto the rear brake rotor.

Last edited:

novaman64

So got a few hours off work this weekend (new job I took about 4 months ago is in food supply chain) so I have been slammed. Changed the spring in the primary from the Speed spring back to the OEM. Wasnt a big fan of how high the engagement was.

Also pulled the drivers side front axle. Tore the boot on the last ride...
91521845_10101775186394293_4374555741529309184_o.jpg
91066379_10101775186648783_1371114510487650304_o.jpg

novaman64

So here is where I am on clutching, still have some tuning to do...

Car setup is full exhaust (Trinity), Alba ECU tune, 32" tires.

Purchased a Speed SxS clutch kit (arms, primary and secondary springs, helix). Installed with the recommended weight config (heel to toe: 2-2-1-1). Hated the high engagement (4k rpm). Swapped back the primary spring for OEM, left everything as Speed recommended.

Right now, when I stab the throttle, it takes a second or two, then gets to 9000rpm, and sits there to about 65mph, then the RPM start slowly climbing (let off around 70 so not sure what max speed/RPM would have been). Thinking about changing to 2-1-1-1 on the weight... Or should take off the toe 2-2-1-0?

I believe max RPM with the Alba tune is 9,800rpm.

Last edited:

novaman64

Well, tried a different primary spring, ordered a 35-215 spring (some wierd OEM arctic cat sled spring). Enagement is right around 2,400rpm, current weight setup is 2-1-1-1.

Spring is shorter, definitely makes getting the primary bolts started.
IMG_6841.jpg

Took it for a quick rip to the gas station, didnt have enough room to do a top end test, but so far feels good. I can romp on the throttle and actually have it light the tires up now at lower speeds.

jon coleman

how critical is clutch surface finish?, area that contacts belt, is mirror polish best, a little more ' grit' better?,and is material important?, aluminium, steel, titanium ect...

Nessy

Well, tried a different primary spring, ordered a 35-215 spring (some wierd OEM arctic cat sled spring). Enagement is right around 2,400rpm, current weight setup is 2-1-1-1.

Spring is shorter, definitely makes getting the primary bolts started.
View attachment 214390

Took it for a quick rip to the gas station, didnt have enough room to do a top end test, but so far feels good. I can romp on the throttle and actually have it light the tires up now at lower speeds.

Where did you get the spring?

NIKAL

Call it wishful thinking or a rumor. But something was brought to my attention and I don’t know if there is really anything there, or just someones thoughts?

I was told Yamaha was to be releasing a new sport machine for 2021, but that due to Covid and some other things, it’s probably not going to get released as scheduled. It’s actually gone silent if it might get released. It was mentioned that how for years Yamaha & Arctic Cat have had an alliance and partnership on the snow sled side. Basically both brands are the same Cloned sled with each’s Brands badging on them. Then Arctic Cat chose to partner with Yamaha on the XX engine due to production costs and reliability.

So now you have Textron who has shown no interest is moving forward with advancing Arctic Cat as a brand. And you have Yamaha who wants to move forward and would have the ability to help Arctic Cat. So the talk was does someone like Yamaha buy the Arctic Cat line from Textron so they now control the Snow Sled market and they can build a new Performane UTV under both brands? This would also be away out for Arctic Cat to end the XX and possible patent issues with Robby Gordon.

novaman64

Call it wishful thinking or a rumor. But something was brought to my attention and I don’t know if there is really anything there, or just someones thoughts?

I was told Yamaha was to be releasing a new sport machine for 2021, but that due to Covid and some other things, it’s probably not going to get released as scheduled. It’s actually gone silent if it might get released. It was mentioned that how for years Yamaha & Arctic Cat have had an alliance and partnership on the snow sled side. Basically both brands are the same Cloned sled with each’s Brands badging on them. Then Arctic Cat chose to partner with Yamaha on the XX engine due to production costs and reliability.

So now you have Textron who has shown no interest is moving forward with advancing Arctic Cat as a brand. And you have Yamaha who wants to move forward and would have the ability to help Arctic Cat. So the talk was does someone like Yamaha buy the Arctic Cat line from Textron so they now control the Snow Sled market and they can build a new Performane UTV under both brands? This would also be away out for Arctic Cat to end the XX and possible patent issues with Robby Gordon.
Would be interesting and definatly mutually beneficial for both companies. Not sure how they would get out of patent isues unless they re-degisned their suspension though, and thats what sets the XX apart and where the Yamaha hurts so much (as a dez rig at least, they are dominating short course)...

NIKAL

Would be interesting and definatly mutually beneficial for both companies. Not sure how they would get out of patent isues unless they re-degisned their suspension though, and thats what sets the XX apart and where the Yamaha hurts so much (as a dez rig at least, they are dominating short course)...
How they would get out of the patents is by discontinuing the Current XX plateform Right now it’s Arctic Cats best seller, at only 4500-5000 units. So they can’t afford to drop it. But if they did some sort of merger or buyout with Yamaha, the new rumored 2021 Yamaha sport machine could just be rebadged to say Arctic Cat XX like the current Bass Pro Tracker XX is.

Or Yamaha could change up the bodies a bit to give each brand a separate look, but still be the same machine. This would help Yamaha with production volumes just as the Tracker brand helps Arctic Cat with increasing production numbers.

Like mentioned this might be all wishful thinking, or maybe there is something to it?

novaman64

So.. with the new primary spring and my weights at 2-1-1-1 went out to the dez yesterday. Was in Smith/Wellington NV (my buddies call it "swellington"), which is around 4,800ft elevation. Hit 81mph on GPS before I let off, but was taching 9,000 RPM and still climbing in speed....

Also hit some tighter rocky climbing sections and was very satisfied with the low RPM engagement.