• Forum membership has its advantages....

Looking for advice before buying a new SxS

novaman64

Does the XX have provisions for wiring accessories already built into the car? If not, I would HIGHLY suggest using a Switch Pro instead of a nest of switches, relays, bus bars, fuses, solenoids, etc to wire your car. It will add years to you life, trust me.
Ya, it already has provisions wired.

novaman64

Just got a package from Rugged Radios at work... Feel like a kid on Xmas morning. Antenna (PCI), radios (used and programmed by a semi-local guy), coax and all switches are supposed to show up tomorrow...

Trying to do this as affordable (does affordable and racing even go together) as possible. This is my used/reconditioned RRP5100 from Rugged, $350, sure beats the $500 for a new one. Was keeping an eye on their clearance page till a 5100 or 6100 showed up...

IMG_5552.jpg

Zambo

How is the radio going to connect to the intercom? Looks like that 5100 is set up with a connector for one of their radios. Does it come with a cord to patch into the back (or front) of the Yaesu?

novaman64

That's cool. Do you have any pics of how it is set up for those of us not familiar with the Wildcat?
So there is a removable fascia plate, vanity plate, whatever the heck you want to call it. That is where the intercom and VHF are going. Then just below that there a bunch of punch out plates for rocker switches.

Right behind where the rocker switch punchout are, there is a bunch or wired, and labeled connectors, then wrapped in bags to keep water out of them (while unused). Then, in the back of the cab, you can see all the connectors (wired to the switches I just mentioned, for accessories. Some switched, some constant. Literally plug and play.

IMG_5559.jpg

IMG_5561.jpg

IMG_5555.jpg

IMG_5554.jpg
Seats don't need to come out, just easier to move around with them out, and takes literally 30 seconds to pull them, the covers are all quick release to get to the wiring.

Last edited:

novaman64

How is the radio going to connect to the intercom? Looks like that 5100 is set up with a connector for one of their radios. Does it come with a cord to patch into the back (or front) of the Yaesu?
So the guy I bought the radio from apparently solders in and modifies the radios to work with the intercom, should be here tomorrow to verify...

Last edited:

Zambo

So there is a removable fascia plate, vanity plate, whatever the heck you want to call it. That is where the intercom and VHF are going. Then just below that there a bunch of punch out plates for rocker switches.

Right behind where the rocker switch punchout are, there is a bunch or wired, and labeled connectors, then wrapped in bags to keep water out of them (while unused). Then, in the back of the cab, you can see all the connectors (wired to the switches I just mentioned, for accessories. Some switched, some constant. Literally plug and play.

View attachment 199645
View attachment 199646

View attachment 199643
View attachment 199644 Seats don't need to come out, just easier to move around with them out, and takes literally 30 seconds to pull them, the covers are all quick release to get to the wiring.
Very interesting.

Total Loss

Does the XX have provisions for wiring accessories already built into the car? If not, I would HIGHLY suggest using a Switch Pro instead of a nest of switches, relays, bus bars, fuses, solenoids, etc to wire your car. It will add years to you life, trust me.
XX is plug and play. I did mine like Novamans.
Only item I wired direct to the battery was the radio.
All you need are a bunch of these. Bought them in bulk on ebay.
Pre wired circuits are already fused and relayed. All you have to do is put teh fuse in and plug into the receptacle for that spot.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/er4AAOSwnEtbM44A/s-l1600.jpg

20190101_141100.jpg 20190101_141043.jpg

Total Loss

Now I see Novamans post.
It's pretty easy wiring.
And you don't have to worry about pulling everything with that alternator.

I am still working on my fan override switch. Need to put a diode in line .

Zambo

How many of these stock circuits can you add like this? Can they be either hot battery or switched ignition?

novaman64

How many of these stock circuits can you add like this? Can they be either hot battery or switched ignition?
I believe 5, there may be 1 or 2 more. I haven't hit any of them with a tester light, but some say SW ACC and some just say ACC. I am assuming the SW sands for switched, and the others are hot, but I will be testing that theory this weekend.

Total Loss

I think there are 8 total.
There is one back by the rt taillight also...and glove compartment cig lighter.
Textron...err...AC loaded this thing up.

Total Loss

I probably only have $30-40 wiring/switches/plates and connectors in this thing.
Once you figure it out- it's simple.

Well maybe a little more- the switches were like $10 and the horn switch was a little more because it doesn't lock.