• Forum membership has its advantages....

Looking for advice before buying a new SxS

novaman64

Installed the Speed SxS steering rack gusset and support kit.
IMG_5935.jpg

IMG_5933.jpg

My gripes... Didnt come with shouldered bolts or washers, luckily had some washers that were the right size...
IMG_5932.jpg

Bolts were a touch long and bottomed our, so took a 1/4 inch off them.

Pulled the drivers side tie rod off to put the bushing in. Specified 2019, not sure if they sent me a 2018 bushing (Im assuming they did), it was too long, checked it with the micrometers. Ended up cutting it down to the right length.
IMG_5927.jpg

The bushing was also just thrown in with a bunch of loose parts, so the bolts and brackets beat it pretty good with how gentle UPS is on packages. Took a rat-tail file to it to clean up some of the burs so it didnt rub the shaft.
IMG_5926.jpg

And Pulled the rest of the graphics off, I dig the clean look.
IMG_5936.jpg

IMG_5938.jpg

Last edited:

novaman64

PTT buttons installed...
IMG_5946.jpg

IMG_5947.jpg

And removed the factory belts and “fixed” the seat belt speed limiter.
IMG_5939.jpg

IMG_5940.jpg

Then got the radio antenna routed.
IMG_5941.jpg

IMG_5943.jpg

IMG_5944.jpg

IMG_5945.jpg

novaman64

So what's your opinion of the XX after owning it for a bit?
Love it. Have driven a XP1000 and a XP4 Turbo, both with the entire shock therapy treatment, I think its faster than both (the XP4 turbo was a 16'), owner said the XX felt faster too, well his exact words "that thing is angry". I have pretty much only have driven it in the dez, some snow, and a few miles of slower 4 low trails. It rips, stock suspension is soft if your doing mach 1 through the dez, can G-out pretty hard. Need to order a set of springs, then see how it does and determine if I wanna send it out for valving. I ordered a SpeedSxS clutch, and new wheels/tires (32"), so once all that stuff comes in it will be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes. For a stock unit, it sure has no issues hanging with the RZR's in the desert though. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat. Only issues I have had with it is the speed sensor went bad, takes all of 2 minutes to change, warranty covered it, but it would be $18 if they didnt.

Super easy to work on, tearing into it for maintenance, getting it wired, steering brace and everything else.

Total Loss

I thought about just making one plate on the rear of the steering box and tab it to the front diff mount bolt with just a single tab left and rt ...I would think that would be enough for just some added support. Maybe 1/8 "
RG's looks a little overkill to me. Leave off the a/arm mount bolt .
I did just pull the front 4 mount bolts, reused new ones with locktite for now.

Total Loss

Just heat shielded the inside of the center console...we will see how it works this weekend- 92-95 in the dez.

novaman64

I thought about just making one plate on the rear of the steering box and tab it to the front diff mount bolt with just a single tab left and rt ...I would think that would be enough for just some added support. Maybe 1/8 "
RG's looks a little overkill to me. Leave off the a/arm mount bolt .
I did just pull the front 4 mount bolts, reused new ones with locktite for now.
Ya, that would probably work, this is prolly overkill. Whoever was running the press break must have been having a off day, bends werent done very well, had to tighten some bolts, then loosen them to get it to bend and fit in, once that was done everything goes on and off pretty easy.

novaman64

Just heat shielded the inside of the center console...we will see how it works this weekend- 92-95 in the dez.
Keep me posted. I have some "Kilmat" that I used on the doors of my truck, made a big difference in noise, and have some left over, plus my XX is all torn apart right now getting it wired and all the harnesses installed, would be easy to throw it in right now. After seeing the "firewall" on this thing, I am really thinking about making a real metal firewall sooner rather than later. My plasma took a crap this weekend, gonna give Hypertherm a call tomorrow, definately puts a stop on a handful of my projects. :(

Total Loss

Keep me posted. I have some "Kilmat" that I used on the doors of my truck, made a big difference in noise, and have some left over, plus my XX is all torn apart right now getting it wired and all the harnesses installed, would be easy to throw it in right now. After seeing the "firewall" on this thing, I am really thinking about making a real metal firewall sooner rather than later. My plasma took a crap this weekend, gonna give Hypertherm a call tomorrow, definately puts a stop on a handful of my projects. :(
A metal firewall is definitely a good idea.

novaman64

Testing all the wiring on the radio/ intercom setup with the new helmet. It all works, the ability to shut off the side tone is neat. PTT buttons work too... yay... now I just need to fix my plasma cutter so I can finish the dash plate and the plates I need for the harnesses.

IMG_5954.jpg

IMG_5955.jpg

afortune46

Keep an eye on those bolts even with that bracket setup - when you're pre running keep a wrench on hand and check them when you take a break. We ran into similar issues even with a machined one piece bracket and decided we didnt gain anything so we removed it and keep and eye on all the front end bolts.

one other one to watch is the bolts that go into the steering box like to back out for whatever reason - even red loctited and replaced with a 10.9 metric bolt it liked to come out.

Total Loss

Keep an eye on those bolts even with that bracket setup - when you're pre running keep a wrench on hand and check them when you take a break. We ran into similar issues even with a machined one piece bracket and decided we didnt gain anything so we removed it and keep and eye on all the front end bolts.

one other one to watch is the bolts that go into the steering box like to back out for whatever reason - even red loctited and replaced with a 10.9 metric bolt it liked to come out.
Are you talking about the bracket that just surrounds the steering box housing? And uses the stock mounting points to the front frame? Or the bracket like Novaman has (Speed)? That setup (speed) looks BURLY !...don't see how all that can come loose...it has 8 attachment points.

I guess the steering box still only uses 4 bolts to attach to 8 spots anyway.
I have had the frame mount bolts come loose but not the steering box bolts yet.

afortune46

Speeds is a stamped steel piece , the one we made was 1/4" thick pretty much identical to what Speed made, but ours was made out of a solid chunk of steel.

Total Loss

Speeds is a stamped steel piece , the one we made was 1/4" thick pretty much identical to what Speed made, but ours was made out of a solid chunk of steel.
And it keeps coming loose? Even with loctite?
Maybe it needs a little flex ?

novaman64

Safety wire ?
That would be the way to go. I have heard from a few people that were testing the setup before it was released that they didnt have bolts come loose after installing it.

I will keep an eye on it... If they start backing out I will safety wire it.

afortune46

And it keeps coming loose? Even with loctite?
Maybe it needs a little flex ?
Yeah , the only thing we didnt try was Green loctite due to the hassle it would have been had we needed to replace the rack. - its easy for us to run 12 laps pull it in and tighten it up - when you're running a 250/500/1000 mile race its a different story.

That would be the way to go. I have heard from a few people that were testing the setup before it was released that they didnt have bolts come loose after installing it.

I will keep an eye on it... If they start backing out I will safety wire it.
There maybe more to the bracket then what I've seen but with the racks on backorder and no date given for the backorder its better safe than sorry.

Or, I'll say it before Party Barge....Nord locks! lol!

Nord-Lock Wedge-Locking
These would work great Id think if theres enough room for them.

Total Loss

I would think the rack stress would be less with a front steer car...I will definitely keep an eye on mine.