• Forum membership has its advantages....

Looking for advice before buying a new SxS

novaman64

You will most likely be at or near 70.
I would do the stock shocks up and race it first...before you spend the 7k on a long travel.
Those RG arms are strong though- as we saw with Crawlr's hit.

May take you out of stock class rules with any other susp mods anyway.
VORRA and BITD allow long travel (under 80" wide) in the stock/sportsman class. Most other orgs that I have looked at (NORRA, DP4, SCORE) long travel would move you into the mod class.

Gonna start with springs first and see how much that affects it, then most likely do valving.

To the edge of the tire at the top or bottom? They do camber negative some.
I am at 66.5- don't forget to re-compress the suspension before you measure. These things sit up some after you lower the jack- will narrow the front. I have about 14-14.5 ride height to frame.
I did outermost edge of the lug, top of the tire, passed the tape measure straight through above the steering rack... And bounced the front end a few times, it definitely does sit high after letting it down off the jack.

Zambo

Just so everyone keeps their apples from getting mixed with the oranges, bump steer and scrub radius are two entirely different things. Scrub radius happens when the center of the tire contact patch isn't aligned with the pivot points of the knuckle. Bump steer is when the steering angle changes due to the suspension arms cycling up and down.

Total Loss

Just so everyone keeps their apples from getting mixed with the oranges, bump steer and scrub radius are two entirely different things. Scrub radius happens when the center of the tire contact patch isn't aligned with the pivot points of the knuckle. Bump steer is when the steering angle changes due to the suspension arms cycling up and down.
Bigger and wider offset have caused additional wander and bump steer for me in the past...maybe just the added weight and offset change ...I do understand what you say though...
Camber would change through the stroke although shouldn't affect bump steer but steering feel? Especially since everything has a negative camber stock to start.

Total Loss

I did outermost edge of the lug, top of the tire, passed the tape measure straight through above the steering rack... And bounced the front end a few times, it definitely does sit high after letting it down off the jack.
So you checked it at the top...I checked mine at the bottom- static on a flat surface.

Nessy

Bigger and wider offset have caused additional wander and bump steer for me in the past...maybe just the added weight and offset change ...I do understand what you say though...
Camber would change through the stroke although shouldn't affect bump steer but steering feel? Especially since everything has a negative camber stock to start.
The offset wont affect bump steer but it will leverage the steering causing you to feel more in the steering wheel. Since it is leveraging the steering it is adding addition stress to all the components also.

Total Loss

Basically don't go too big or too wide...
Probably another reason why the steering racks are loosening so easily.

You can basically go 32 and 4/3 (5/2 is better) on wheels without much variance is what I have seen.
I have a 4/3 setup with my sand tires (30's). I don't feel any difference.

bullnerd

I'm just guessing, but shouldn't someone do some calculations on the different size rim/tire combos so the scrub radius stays the same or better?

Scrub radius is more important than OAW. In my mind anyway.

novaman64

I'm just guessing, but shouldn't someone do some calculations on the different size rim/tire combos so the scrub radius stays the same or better?

Scrub radius is more important than OAW. In my mind anyway.
Is there an equation to calc it?

Stock is 6+1 with a 30" tire, and Im going to 3+2 with a 32" tire.

bullnerd

Dont know if there is a formula, may be, but these guys with their fancy computators can do it pretty quickly these days.

Should be a chart already.

Total Loss

The offset wont affect bump steer but it will leverage the steering causing you to feel more in the steering wheel. Since it is leveraging the steering it is adding addition stress to all the components also.
Exactly my point...the feeling either way is bump feedback to the steering wheel.
And you get more "wandering" with the wider offset and or heavier wheel/tire mass- pulling and pushing the steering in ruts or troughs.