• Forum membership has its advantages....

Looking for advice before buying a new SxS

Total Loss

Lol, according to the experts you're wrong about the header and the slip on. I got 80 mph at 7700 elevation at 8700 rpm. Alba tune and header with stock muffler and clutch.
Did you remove the cat? We are talking apples to oranges with elevation here but I got 84 (didn't read the RPMs though- will next time but it was well north of 9300 I am sure) at 2800 ft.
It was still pulling too. Probably 80 degrees out.

I am agreeing with you...not sure why you are arguing about something I agree with...header and muffler power.
Straight through muffler can is OBNOXIOUS...IMO. My brothers is obnoxiously loud. They way my car is running now- I am not going to buy a header as of now...we will see how it does in Glamis with paddles.

I was going to get the ALBA flash but Nate could not get it to me and would not sell it over the counter (Kommunist Kali) ...so I went with Speedwerx and am VERY happy.

I did not know you have an XX ??

Nessy

Did you remove the cat? We are talking apples to oranges with elevation here but I got 84 (didn't read the RPMs though- will next time but it was well north of 9300 I am sure) at 2800 ft.
It was still pulling too. Probably 80 degrees out.

I am agreeing with you...not sure why you are arguing about something I agree with...header and muffler power.
Straight through muffler can is OBNOXIOUS...IMO. My brothers is obnoxiously loud. They way my car is running now- I am not going to buy a header as of now...we will see how it does in Glamis with paddles.

I was going to get the ALBA flash but Nate could not get it to me and would not sell it over the counter (Kommunist Kali) ...so I went with Speedwerx and am VERY happy.

I did not know you have an XX ??
I did not remove the cat because I like it quiet and Nate says it is 1-2 HP going to a noisy muffler. I interpreted what you said as the header only adds a couple of HP same as the muffler when everyone else says the muffler is very little HP but the header has a big gain. You also need a different tune with the header than without so I went with both so I didn't have to reflash later. My XX was noticably slower at 7700 elevation and that is why the rpm's were down. Most of the places I ride near my home are probably about 1500 to 2000 elevation but there is no place to hold it wide open long enough to get much over 70.

Last edited:

Total Loss

I did not remove the cat because I like it quiet and Nate says it is 1-2 HP going to a noisy muffler. .
It is not noisy...deepens the tone a little maybe- actually sounds better I think...less tinny .
MUCH cooler- that is the real advantage IMO.
Removed the paint also and wrapped the header.

Also tossed that nonsense rear shield, made an alum closing plate and a small colt on bumper.
Much cleaner and cooler- this is before I wrapped the header:
Also wrapped the muffler springs with rubber tubing- cuts down on that harmonic noise you get...I have eliminated all that stuff from when it was new...sounded like everything back there was rattling.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nessy

It is not noisy...deepens the tone a little maybe- actually sounds better I think...less tinny .

Also tossed that nonsense rear shield, made an alum closing plate and a small colt on bumper.
Also wrapped the muffler springs with rubber tubing- cuts down on that harmonic noise you get...I have eliminated all that stuff from when it was new...sounded like everything back there was rattling.
Did you cut it open or just clean it out from the inlet side? I am all about getting rid of the heat just don't like loud anymore.

Total Loss

Did you cut it open or just clean it out from the inlet side? I am all about getting rid of the heat just don't like loud anymore.
I hate loud also...this is not too bad. Still a big muffler on there.
I cut it out from the inlet side...took awhile...you need some long drill bits...BIG hammer and long chisels.
Pull the muffler off and you will see it.

Zambo

On my x3 I bought a long spade bit from Lowe's and had the cat gutted in about 15 minutes. If anything the problem was that it made such huge chunks of loose materiel that getting some of them out the pipe was difficult. The good thing about that spade bit was being able to run it around the inside of the pipe and get all the last little pieces off the interior wall.

Nessy

When you tossed the rear shield did you do anything to support the upper one since the rear shield supports the back of it?

Total Loss

When you tossed the rear shield did you do anything to support the upper one since the rear shield supports the back of it?
No...it really does not support the upper shield. I also cut those little extensions on the left and right sides of the upper bed shield.
Looks much cleaner. Also made a regulator shoeld from the leftover insulation alum.

Attachments

Last edited:

Total Loss

Got my bead lock rings back from powder... 3 out of 4 mounted tonight before I ran out of beer and called it a night...

And all the body work is torn off, working on adding some strength to the cage.
Making a "B" pillar?

novaman64

Some pics of the b pillar...

With the template of the frame that the window net will be mounted to.

Where it will tie to the factory frame.
IMG_6108.jpg

Notched the door to clear the new b pillar.
IMG_6110.jpg

Attachments

Total Loss

No brainer there...BFG at 40 lbs...except they are not DOT for us street guys...

novaman64

My guess is they aren't going after the racing market, but the recreational rider market, a more fare comparison would probably be with the KM3, not the KR2.

bullnerd

Is that a dead tube!? OMG! Your going to die for sure!

Looks good.

Should come that way from the factory!