Looking for any pictures or info on this vintage Baja Bug

Ridgway

Reaction
I am starting to gather parts but I'm not sure which direction to go. If I could see what it used to look like that would be a great place to start. It has a plaque from a 1979 SCORE race at Riverside. I've searched pretty good through thousands of pictures but haven't found one yet. I'm hoping someone here might remember it or even have a picture from back in the day.

Thanks!
Chris

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210104-232348_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210104-232348_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 135
  • received_379842622719010.jpeg
    received_379842622719010.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 132

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Not a race car. Was probably a prerunner and looks like the front end has been updated since 1979. Body lift. Plaque may be from previous owner who raced Riverside, but not in that car.

Ridgway

Reaction
Not a race car. Was probably a prerunner and looks like the front end has been updated since 1979. Body lift. Plaque may be from previous owner who raced Riverside, but not in that car.
Thanks! Are body lifts as bad on Baja bugs as they are on 4x4s? I started thinking this would be a fun NORRA car for my wife and I.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Thanks! Are body lifts as bad on Baja bugs as they are on 4x4s? I started thinking this would be a fun NORRA car for my wife and I.
No, definitely better since they run the circumference of the of the entire body mounting area instead of just pushing it up on posts. Front suspension looks to have a later model Latest Rage beam for coilovers and Tweeds or the copy of Tweeds front arms. None of this is race quality, but if you can do NORRA without thinking you need to overall it, it will work fine.