• Forum membership has its advantages....

Looking for info on the CORR Buggy Classes

K-fab

Maybe someone here can fill me in a bit?

I've e-mailed CORR a couple times trying to get info but they've never responded.

I'm interested in the buggy class that CORR runs: Super Buggy - or at least I think that's what they call it.

I know they were? are? running buggy classes as support races for the Trucks, but I can't find any info on the classes.

I need to find specifics, rules, descriptions and such of the vehicles. - maybe even a good used one.

Are they still running the buggies?

If they're still running next year (2007), I'd really like to get involved and start racing short course again - Probably in the Super Buggy class.

I raced at a couple of the Mid-West tracks (Crandon's KILLER) a few years back when CORR still ran Stadium Lites and would love to get back to them in a full sized car.

Phazer399@hotmail.com

The entire CORR rulebook can be found in .pdf format on the CORR website.

***Click Here For The Rulebook***

***Click here for a super buggy that is for sale. It appears to be a GREAT price for what you are getting***

Below is the Super Buggy description, directly from page 53 & 54 of the CORR rulebook.

SPORTSMAN SUPER BUGGY
A 4 wheeled vehicle utilizing many different engine combinations with unlimited suspension chassis designs. Engines are limited to c.c. limits from 1650 to 1835 depending on design and manufacturer. Division rules supersede ACCR.

ENGINE
Allowed:
A. Any automotive engine with production of 5000 or more and available to the public in the United States.
B. Maximum of 4 valves per cylinder.
C. Air cooled, 1835 cc maximum
D. 2 valves per cylinder, 1715 cc maximum, water cooled
E. 3 or more valves per cylinder, 1650 cc maximum, water cooled

Not Allowed:
A. Rotary engines.

CARBURETOR
Allowed:
A. One carburetor for water-cooled. 2 carburetors for air-cooled.
B. Maximum of two ventures per carburetor.
C. Maximum venture size:
42 MM for two valve engines.
29 MM for four valve engines 1600 CC and smaller
28 MM for four valve engines 1601 CC to 1650 CC.

WEIGHT
A. Minimum weight with driver, 1580 pounds at race end. Cleaning of vehicle may be required.
B. ACCR-9 applies.

WHEELS AND TIRES
Allowed:
A. Dot tires only available to the general public.

RADIOS
Allowed:
A. Frequency must be registered with CORR.

ROOF
Required
A. .075 Aluminum or sixteen (16) gauge steel sheeting.
B. Opening roof must have a heavy-duty hinge with a secure latching system.
C. Positive latching system must be CORR approved.
ALL ACCR RULES APPLY AS SO STATED IN THIS CORR RULEBOOK.

K-fab

Thanks for the info - I'd already downloaded the rules from the CORR website.

I guess what I'm after is more "race oriented" info

Is CORR still running Super Buggies? - I can't find much info on the Super Buggy class. I raced Super Lites for a couple years and it was a total blast as a class, but it faded into the sunset. I don't want to get involved with another class that ends up sinking into oblivion.

Who manufacturers chassis and who's works the best?
transmission - What's being used? - guessing Mendeola is probably the most common?
What seems to be the most popular power plant?

I'd like to get as much info as I can on what seems to work, what's the most commonly used equipment and such.

Thanks.

HotRod82

The old MTEG cars still do well- Mendeols trans are the most common, Toyota and Rabbit motors are what most use. The chenoweth 5 link magnums, probsts a arm are pretty popular too. It's a great class that is nearly as fast as pro lite. I've seriously considered it myself instead of the horribly expensive pro lite class. You can buy a complete car for what the pro lites spend on just the motor....

Phazer399@hotmail.com

K-fab said:
I don't want to get involved with another class that ends up sinking into oblivion.
As long as CORR is around, I don't see this class going anywhere. This is a pretty safe class to invest in.

K-fab said:
Who manufacturers chassis and who's works the best?
transmission - What's being used? - guessing Mendeola is probably the most common?
What seems to be the most popular power plant?
The beauty of this class is that the rules are pretty open in comparison to the other CORR buggy classes. There are all sorts chassis, transmission, and engine combinations that have worked well, and continue to do so. Chassis builders: Probst, Chenowth, Attig, Mirage (Dan Baudoux), St. Peter, Jimco. In addition, Aaron Hawley and Corey Heynen have recently built their own chassis and have been very successful. transmission: Type 2 (3-rib, 5-rib, 6-rib[091]), Mendeola, Hewland, Fortin. Most guys use either some variant of a VW transmission or a Mendeola. Generally it comes down to cost. The Mendeola is a solid choice, but costs more than the VW variants. The 6-rib (091) is the strongest of the 3 VW trannys and is used successfully in this class. Engine: Toyota 4AG, Honda B16A, VW Rabbit, air-cooled VW. The most successful engine at the moment is the Toyota. The VW rabbit is less expensive and very common. However, the Toyota's seem to have an edge. John Mason is doing a great job showing everybody that the Honda is another viable option. I expect to see increased success with the Honda's in the future. I am not aware of anybody using an air-cooled in CORR Super Buggy anymore.

K-fab said:
I'd like to get as much info as I can on what seems to work, what's the most commonly used equipment and such. Thanks.
The best way to get information and get all of your questions answered is to go to another CORR race. Take a camera, notebook, and just ask questions. Most all CORR racers are more than willing to help people get involved with the sport. A few key guys that are class acts and would be great people to chat with would be: Corey Heynen, Aaron Hawley, Steve Krieman, John Mason, Dave Mason (John's father and crew-chief), Tom Schwartzburg, Ryan Mulder, and Todd Wallace. With all these guys, you will get a full cross section of chassis, engine, and transmission combinations with years of experience and expertise.

K-fab

Great info!!! THANK YOU!!!!

I was given the Hoek forum link in one post above - sort of looked around a little bit and it looks like there's probably a lot of info. I guess I'll go sign up. (and be a darn newbie AGAIN - AAAaaarrrrgggghhhh) :rolleyes: :p

I think I'll try to talk to some of the guys you've mentioned and see if I can get some info from them on chassis design. You have the gears in my pea brain running over drive now.

I designed and built a pretty decent Stadium Lite a few years ago - was my first fabrication attempt and it actually worked out well. I've had another stadium lite designed for a couple years now and with that in mind, I could do a larger version, stick a Honda in it and see how it all works out.

The Honda power plant has me intrigued, as that's what's going in my new desert car. I may even get strange and run a CVT type transmission (it's what I'm used to).

Looks like I may have just found a new project.

Time to do lots of homework now...

Once again, thanks for some killer info.