Looking for my old 5/1600

Repashy

Reaction
Hey Guys,

I would like to see if I can find my first race car but have very few leads. It was built by Craig Stewart in the back corner of Johnny Johnson's shop in the mid 80's and Craig and I raced it together in Fud and Score races up to about 1991. It was then sold to a guy named Doug Halvin, who traded it to someone in Riverside around 1995 and that's where the story ended. He said he often saw images of it in the Dusty Times not long after that of whoever got it but didn't comment on how it was painted. I have reached out to him again to see if he remembered.

The main distinguishing it had was a recessed gas filler on the drivers side of the body below the rear window as seen in the photo's... it also had a round air cleaner on the roof and huge figure 8 bumpstops on the front but they are likely long gone.

I have attached some old pics.

Thanks, Allen Repashy
31.jpg
34.jpg
35.jpg
36.jpg
37.jpg
42.jpg
45.jpg
46.jpg
50.jpg

Repashy

Reaction
I talked to Doug Halvin and he said when he owned it, it was painted white with blue water splashes coming off the front. He said when he later saw it in Dusty Times, the splashes were gone and it was most likely all white but not sure because it was of course black and white in the pics.

He also reminded me it had a saginaw steering box out of a Jeep, which was quite unique as well.

Doug sold it with a title but none of us remember what year Bug it was. It could very well have gone back to a street Baja Bug at some point.

Last edited:

Repashy

Reaction
Another note. It wasn't sold, it was traded for a Raceco 1/1600 car

baja_racer

Reaction

Repashy

Reaction
Close but that's not it, I think that is Johnny Johnson's old car that Cameron raced for quite a few years. We had some great races against him, and Darren Hardesty back in the day.

Ryan Schank

Reaction
Allen, I raced the car in la rana a few times after we got the car from Doug. It ended up going to the well known 5-1600 Ledezma family. Sorry if the spelling is not right, The air cleaner on the roof was gone, the bump stops stayed in place and worked good when I raced it..............good luck!

Repashy

Reaction
Hey Ryan!...... Thanks for finding this thread and replying, thats awesome and unexpected...... The chase continues!

Anybody else on here know how I might try and track these guys down? Heading to google now ;)

Cheers, Allen

bhernquist

Reaction
Danny Ledezma and the Ledezma are well known racers from San Diego and El Centro. Call Race Ready and ask Bob for the contact info. if you cant locate their numbers. I think they still have many of their cars....

harleys dad

Reaction
the Steele car got dumped in the hills above San clemente shortly after I won the first Willow springs race with it. I was going to change the roof but the cage was cracked everywhere up top. Went out a winner on Wide world of sports