• Forum membership has its advantages....

Looking for shop/team in OC for apprenticeship

Ty Owings

Hey fellow RDC'ers!
Searched through the forums for a similar topic with no luck.

I'm looking for a shop or team in the orange county Ca area that would be willing to help me out with a apprenticeship program. I'm currently a senior at Huntington Beach High school. I'm not looking to get paid at all. Really just looking for an opportunity to learn from a skilled person. I've been following desert racing for many years (since Andy McMillin started). My dad and I currently have a 5 seat buggy, so I do know how to do most major jobs. I have been in the race environment before, I was pitting for Smiley Motorsports at this years V2R.
I do have practice on the MIG and TIG but would like to become more proficient in my skills. I'm already planning on going straight to Fab School right after i finish my senior year. I do have my own means of transportation and currently am putting time into building basic items for my 2005 f150 daily.
Things i'm looking to learn are how to bend materials, electrical, Sheet metal, Tube fitting and sketching, Etc. I'm also currently taking 2 engineering classes in school that are mainly focused on solidworks and 3d printing.

If anyone has any ideas or recommendations please let me know. Also if any teams are looking for pit help at any BITD or local west coast races feel free to send me a pm.

Thanks for your time!
-Ty

michael.gonzalez

I just saw Jordan Pellegrino post that they are looking for help on his Ultra4 race team. He's in Simi Valley though.

Ty Owings

I just saw Jordan Pellegrino post that they are looking for help on his Ultra4 race team. He's in Simi Valley though.
Thanks. Do you know where he may have posted that to? I was already planning on being out at a hammers so that would be a rad opportunity.

Ty Owings

just start pounding on doors , w -a one page resume, tucked in button up shirt, No flatt bill attitude hats!!, say 'yes sirs& no sirs'& your IN!!!
Exactly my thought. Was planning on stopping by Blitz and Camburg on my way home. Also hopefully going to talk with JFW. Already have a resume in hand and ready to rock!

Aroberson

Exactly my thought. Was planning on stopping by Blitz and Camburg on my way home. Also hopefully going to talk with JFW. Already have a resume in hand and ready to rock!
Be willing to work for free to just get experience, but first impressions go a long way too! Good luck.

Ty Owings

Be willing to work for free to just get experience, but first impressions go a long way too! Good luck.
Of course. As I posted in the beginning of the thread i'm purely looking for the experience and help. Not looking to get paid in anyway unless I could eventually be hired on.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
I started cleaning parts & stocking the semi trailer for a top fuel sand car team at 14, rode my schwinn stingray from junior high 7 miles one way to the shop after school & every weekend I could. Eventually going to races moving from "diver" to left side engine @ 17 years old. They even started allowing me in the hauler to discuss setup for the next round (way before data logging) worked all night MANY TIMES building heads, gapping rings, building piston/rod racks, surfacing clutch plates, etc. Getting prepped for the next days parts sacrifice to the speed God's then driving back home all night with the crew (all 5 of us) sunday night, getting home just in time to make a lap through the shower grab a pop tart & peddle my happy azz to school monday.
Then repeat it all over again in 3 weeks.

NEVER REGRETTED ANY OF IT!

Last edited:

Ty Owings

I started cleaning parts & stocking the semi trailer for a top fuel sand car team at 14, rode my schwinn stingray from junior high 7 miles one way to the shop after school & every weekend I could. Eventually going to races moving from "diver" to left side engine @ 17 years old. They even started allowing me in the hauler to discuss setup for the next round (way before data logging) worked all night MANY TIMES building heads, gapping rings, building piston/rod racks, surfacing clutch plates, etc. Getting prepped for the next days parts sacrifice to the speed God's then driving back home all night with the crew (all 5 of us) sunday night, getting home just in time to make a lap through the shower grab a pop tart & peddle my happy azz to school monday.

NEVER REGRETTED ANY OF IT!
That's a rad story! A family friend actually manufactures pistons for many of the Top Fuel drag teams now including John force and DSR. Its amazing how big those pistons are lol.

Bert is my name

Get involved before your home life gets busy. Looking back I wish I was less involved with chasing girls and partying. The years following high school flew by and I now wish I had focused more on two things. Getting a degree. ( never finished college) and purchasing a house before getting married and having kids. All of my buddies who went this route seem to have more time and money now than I do. Focus on building a career and this racing thing and you will be sitting pretty in 20 years. Nothing worth having comes easy.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Now the genie is out of the bottle ^^^

EVERY guy thinks with the wrong head!

Ty Owings

Get involved before your home life gets busy. Looking back I wish I was less involved with chasing girls and partying. The years following high school flew by and I now wish I had focused more on two things. Getting a degree. ( never finished college) and purchasing a house before getting married and having kids. All of my buddies who went this route seem to have more time and money now than I do. Focus on building a career and this racing thing and you will be sitting pretty in 20 years. Nothing worth having comes easy.
Agreed 100%. I've been moved around through my highschool years so friends are limited. I'm not the party type at all and I'd choose being out in the desert anyday over a highschool/college party. Some of my best memories this year were made out in the desert or at the races. For V2R i was pitting with Smiley/Geiser and was super hyped about all of the new things I learned from that team. Rick and Cory from Geiser were a huge help along with everyone on the Smiley team making me feel comfortable and feeling like a prt of the family! I spend most of my days in our home shop but, i'd really like to begin learning the more advanced side of fabrication. We have most basic tools, including TIG and MIG welders, but we are missing a few key tools like a bender. I've been reading a lot on RDC and have looked very highly of a well known member named Dump. I noticed that he prefered the miter cut over a tighter bend. Also, his technique shown about single pass TIG's were very interesting topics.
As for my future, I plan on attending the Fab school starting in fall of 2020. After that I plan on going back to my local community college, OCC, to finish my gen eds and start all of my welding/machining certifications. My idea of starting with a shop before fab school was just so I could get a head start going into my future. I'm also planning on going to every BITD race this 2020 year.

My message was cut off and RDC crashed lol.

- Ty O

Bert is my name

I dont know about the r.o.p. classes in your area. But, the r.o.p. near me has a welding and machining program. I took a few classes there to get more access to tools and training when I was younger. Just throwing out another option to get more shop time.

Ty Owings

I dont know about the r.o.p. classes in your area. But, the r.o.p. near me has a welding and machining program. I took a few classes there to get more access to tools and training when I was younger. Just throwing out another option to get more shop time.
Our ROP classes are mostly computer based. One is Computer innovation and the other is Computer design. Both focus on Solidworks and AutoCAD. They also have a small lathe i've been using to machine washers and small billet pieces.

RanchoPacific Motorsports

Maybe think about community college with ROP classes before the fab school to learn basics of welding and fabricating. I have heard the fab school is expensive so if you have more skills going into it it might save you some money.

Ty Owings

I've heard the same. I've been in touch with most of the guys over there and actually have my shop tour coming up soon. My local college OCC does have ROP classes to get welding certs and also machining certs in both CAD and on CNC's. I was hoping to continue straight to fab school as the chance of working on a team after the school is a pretty high percentage. The colleges down here are pretty lenient about class schedules and i know that Fab school is a set schedule for 6 months. I figured that i could still get my welding and machining certs and still be able to attend most of the big races with a team.
-Ty

Bert is my name

It might be worth your time to go to a c.c. in riverside, l.a. , or san Diego county and get some classes under your belt. City college in San Diego offers a fairly comprehensive welding and machining program.