• Forum membership has its advantages....

looking for some history on this truck

swu chase1

Well as the title says I am looking for the history of this truck . We purchased it from Greg Adler it was his class 8 not much info was know about it history wise who built it originally. I am interested in finding out more. If anyone knows about I would appreciate it .Thanks.

Slippery P

if its the 4wheelparts truck it was mike swellingers class 4 truck...but need pics to tell you more
This is more than likely the truck you have, the next BITD race you are at stop by Jeepspeed #1717 and talk to Eric Heiden he would know a lot about that truck.

Fourstroker

This is more than likely the truck you have, the next BITD race you are at stop by Jeepspeed #1717 and talk to Eric Heiden he would know a lot about that truck.
That's what I was thinking. Might also hit up Gadzooks on here

Rory

Crayola Killer
If it's the truck I'm thinking of it might be one of Dave Shoppes old trucks. A picture speaks a 1000 words......

Rory

Crayola Killer
Bob, I saw that truck at the off road swapmeet 2 years ago. The tubing is a little small in the interior which got me asking questions. From what one of the crew guys told me it was one of Dave Shoppe last "General Tire" class 8 trucks. I believe it was sold to Scott McKinney (93 or 94) before Scott bought a Walker TT. I know they did a lot of updates to it and is a very good truck. Scott raced that truck in a few select SCORE races but mostly in LaRana. Good luck with the truck, from what he was asking 2 years ago it's a smoking for that truck.

swu chase1

Thanks Rory so far that sounds like the same truck it is very fast. I don't know scott McKenney and did not know he owned it at any time swellerger did own it that's who Greg bought it from. Thanks

Last edited:

y2kbaja

Is that the truck the Adler's raced the Baja 2000 in? I have a good story about helping them out of the silt beds.

Gadzooks2

That's not the truck we ran 2000 in. The class 8 we finished the 2000 in was our own creation and it was destroyed in an unfortunate highway accident with the guy that bought it from us. The Schwellinger truck that Adler sold was a bit newer and very nicely updated. The way class 8 is now not sure if it is "competitive" but it can definitely win if prepped and driven to be a consistent finisher.

ESM709

Thanks Rory so far that sounds like the same truck it is very fast. I don't know scott McKenney and did not know he owned it at any time swellerger did own it that's who Greg bought it from. Thanks
Hello my name is EJ McKinney Scott McKinneys son. I have some old pictures and information about the truck. It was originally built by Kevin Bunderson for Dave shoppe. My dad bought it from Dave back in 94 and sold it to Schwellinger in 96. The truck was very fast and worked great from what I saw on old race tapes. Wish I was old enough at the time to see it race haha.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hope this helps. Goodluck and congrats on buying a bitchin truck

y2kbaja

That's not the truck we ran 2000 in. The class 8 we finished the 2000 in was our own creation and it was destroyed in an unfortunate highway accident with the guy that bought it from us. The Schwellinger truck that Adler sold was a bit newer and very nicely updated. The way class 8 is now not sure if it is "competitive" but it can definitely win if prepped and driven to be a consistent finisher.
Well there you go, I don't have a B2K story about the truck.

swu chase1

Come on with the story . EJ thanks for the info love the pictures would love to have some of those for the shop wall

Jimmy8

These were the years when Class 8 was badass. We need the class to become that again...

Bryan Racing

I remember schwellingers truck was a 4x4.At the 93 Parker i was 2 nd in class 8 and mike was 2nd in class 4, after we both finished mike asked me what are you waiting for,i said waiting for my semi to get in from midway since i didn't have a regular trailer. So mike and his guys trailered my truck to our semi accross town then loaded his truck. Curt Leduc did some fab work to update the front,I believe somewhere 92 - 94 Mike won races with his truck and took a few second's.Mike was a great guy, even pitted for me when his truck wasn't running.

9rocky

These were the years when Class 8 was badass. We need the class to become that again...
The Nelson and Nelson truck, the Parker Motor Truck, were the baddest Class 8's out there. The Trophy Trucks of the day.

TRichards

Walker Dodge, Venable Ford, Nelson Chevy Thunder. It could be that again 1400 trucks are close and there are a lot of them. Full size only though. If only...........

Jimmy8

What I always thought needed to happen was have a Class 8S. Similar to 7S but a hybrid and for full size trucks. I'm not talking stock full, I mean a true 8S class. Door slammers with a factory cab, firewall, and doors, glass allowed for the rest of the body with no more than 3" of flare on any fender and you must run a factory grille. Factory frame required, which cannot be touched under any circumstances. Everyone runs a 9" rear end with the guts wide-open. No unde drive, over drive, or middle drive... and I don't care if it's in the transmission, rear end, or sitting in the passengers lap, it isn't happening. Brakes and steering are open, 37" max tire size, 2 shocks per wheel max. Must run leaf springs in back and are allowed 1 link bar from the top of the rear end housing. No coil overs in front unless the truck was equipped with them from the factory and if you run coil overs they can only be single rate. Bumps stops are allowed. Front Suspension components (Arm's, Beams, Control Arms) are wide open but they must mount in the factory mounting points +/- 1 Inch on the factory frame and stock track width must be within 6" of factory track width. Engine rules... Yeah, it's an interesting one. I say adopt the stock full engine rules prior to 2010 and everyone will be happy.

Anyone else on board? We'll build a truck for the class if you are, and debut the class at Parker 2016.