Looking for some info

class 11

Reaction
We have been racing an 11 car for almost four years now and are getting a little tired of replacing stock fenders and bumpers every race. We have the red 1106 and 1833 car with the Petfinder.com logo. I am also the moderator for the Class11coalition.com

Looking into changing classes,but will need to stay with a stock or limited class due to costs etc. Considering 9, 7S and Jeepspeed.
The 9 would be easier for us to move into, as we have lots of spares and are pretty fast replacing reverse gears in the transmission!

What kind of prep and teardown do you typically do between races?
Are there still people manufacturing frame kits or fabing frames or are there some available drawings?

Is the class shrinking or growing like the 11's. We welcome any other comments or suggestions that you have.

Thanks,
Jeff

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
We have been racing an 11 car for almost four years now and are getting a little tired of replacing stock fenders and bumpers every race. We have the red 1106 and 1833 car with the Petfinder.com logo. I am also the moderator for the Class11coalition.com

Looking into changing classes,but will need to stay with a stock or limited class due to costs etc. Considering 9, 7S and Jeepspeed.
The 9 would be easier for us to move into, as we have lots of spares and are pretty fast replacing reverse gears in the transmission!

What kind of prep and teardown do you typically do between races?
Are there still people manufacturing frame kits or fabing frames or are there some available drawings?

Is the class shrinking or growing like the 11's. We welcome any other comments or suggestions that you have.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff.. 9 car is the place to be.. We just had a race with 34 entries and $$$ the race this week will have 18-20 cars.. I bet the prep is close to your current.

I also was looking at 7s and Jeepspeed and decided to race this class. Besides we pass all those 7s and Jeepspeeds up on the course and thats fun too!

TauMau

Reaction
Good to have you looking into the class Jeff. Chassis are still being made fairly regularly, but part of the beauty in this class is that the 80 and 90s chassis can compete just fine with the newer ones. Usually every race we replace the ball joints and have the transmission gone through. Trans can run between 250-800 a rebuild depending on where you take it and trust me there's a big difference between a mickey mouse trans and one that's done right.

I've never had any experience with trucks...all I can say is, when they rolled off the line they were not built for racing...there's a lot of excess on those that make them big lumbering vehicles and as Dave said they're fun to pass but I couldn't imagine one going by us. I think you'd fit right in with a class 9. You're already familiar with the setup, the only difference is that you'll be going faster and they're much easier to work on than 11's.

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
Jeff.. 9 car is the place to be.. We just had a race with 34 entries and $$$ the race this week will have 18-20 cars.. I bet the prep is close to your current.

I also was looking at 7s and Jeepspeed and decided to race this class. Besides we pass all those 7s and Jeepspeeds up on the course and thats fun too!

I might take back what I said about it being fun to pass trucks.. last night I was "racing" the same three 1400 trucks for laps 2 and 3 and they just plowed the dust.. I would get them in the rough and they would speed by again in the smooth and when it was time for them to move over they wouldnt, you had to drive against their doors with the VW horn blastin and that pissed them off:D

mrmatt

Reaction
trust me there's a big difference between a mickey mouse trans and one that's done right.

So very true!

I might take back what I said about it being fun to pass trucks.. last night I was "racing" the same three 1400 trucks for laps 2 and 3 and they just plowed the dust.. I would get them in the rough and they would speed by again in the smooth and when it was time for them to move over they wouldnt, you had to drive against their doors with the VW horn blastin and that pissed them off:D

I had the same situation going on.......it was brutal.

I am not sure about the full cost of racing a limited truck or jeepspeed but I would have to say when I see a broken truck it does not usually appear to be a cheap fix if ya know what I mean!
Since you already have a VW based operation I think it would be the smartest choice to go 9 as you would already have a pretty good spare parts package and the knowlwdege of VW equipment. Just my opinion though.

9Iron

Reaction
I am not sure about the full cost of racing a limited truck or jeepspeed but I would have to say when I see a broken truck it does not usually appear to be a cheap fix if ya know what I mean!
Since you already have a VW based operation I think it would be the smartest choice to go 9 as you would already have a pretty good spare parts package and the knowlwdege of VW equipment. Just my opinion though.

Ditto that...

ACME

Reaction
Trust me... Trucks are not the easiest to work on, the stuff's heavy! Also keep in mind you can run a 9 program with a f 150 and a single axle trailer. The bigger/heavier the vehicle the bigger trailer, truck and everything else you'll need. Heck our truck has 1" lug nots and a whole slew of big bolts that require tools that in 15 years of owning buggies I didn't need! So far the TL hasn't been a wallet breaker but it has the potential. Of all the classes we've owned cars in; 9 is the best bang for the buck and most cost effective. With that said they're all pieces of crap, here's the truth for all to see: Torsion bars suck but they're no where near as bad as CV's! Never own anything with a factory steel body that you might roll racing and Baja's or class 11's are really a pain in the butt to work on (sorry pinky). 16's cost more to race competitively than 12's or 10 IMO and I think our 10 was cheaper san's issue than most 12's. The faster you go in any class the more it costs, don't fool yourself into thinking anything is cheap and easy when it comes to racing a car in the desert. Ask Torres what he was spending to run a succesful swinger program and you'll think about going Slot Car Racing. Mag everything every race and don't cut corners, the 3 hours you save in the garage will most likely be spent waiting for your chase truck and trailer at the race...

Shred918

Reaction
Trust me... Trucks are not the easiest to work on, the stuff's heavy! Also keep in mind you can run a 9 program with a f 150 and a single axle trailer. The bigger/heavier the vehicle the bigger trailer, truck and everything else you'll need. Heck our truck has 1" lug nots and a whole slew of big bolts that require tools that in 15 years of owning buggies I didn't need! So far the TL hasn't been a wallet breaker but it has the potential. Of all the classes we've owned cars in; 9 is the best bang for the buck and most cost effective. With that said they're all pieces of crap, here's the truth for all to see: Torsion bars suck but they're no where near as bad as CV's! Never own anything with a factory steel body that you might roll racing and Baja's or class 11's are really a pain in the butt to work on (sorry pinky). 16's cost more to race competitively than 12's or 10 IMO and I think our 10 was cheaper san's issue than most 12's. The faster you go in any class the more it costs, don't fool yourself into thinking anything is cheap and easy when it comes to racing a car in the desert. Ask Torres what he was spending to run a succesful swinger program and you'll think about going Slot Car Racing. Mag everything every race and don't cut corners, the 3 hours you save in the garage will most likely be spent waiting for your chase truck and trailer at the race...

The cat is out of the bag now..... :(

Shred918

Reaction
We keep this up and I am going to be banned from tire changes.... not that there is anything wrong with that. :rolleyes:

mrmatt

Reaction
, don't fool yourself into thinking anything is cheap and easy when it comes to racing a car in the desert.

amen!

class 11

Reaction
Still lauging at the "Truth about racing" I must agree after last nights work on the car. They are all pieces of crap..
Thank you all for the posts.
Jeff

ironbenderii

Reaction
Hey Jeff, Trophy Trucks are cool. Want me to call your mortgage company about getting some cash out?

class 11

Reaction
Don't you have some poor out of work tenant to evict from one of your slums! Hey do those BITD guys know that you have a NASCAR motor under that hood, oops, was that a secret?