Looking into getting into racing, 5u vs 1600?

Dezertpilot

Reaction
In the next year I'm looking into purchasing a used race car and 5u vs 1600 is what I'm looking into. I'm a truck guy but that's gonna be too much money so 5u vs 1600 looks like what it could be.

I'm going to have to do my own prep to save $ and be well versed with the race vehicle.

Seems like 1600 is going to be a rougher ride but potentially faster OA.

So what sayeth ye brains here at RDC.

swiftracing5

Reaction
It depends on how big of a plunge you’d like to take. Class 5 will blow 1600 out of the water if you make the financial commitment(75-100k). But you can get your feet wet in a crumco for around 40k I’ve heard. The prep is more intensive on the 5 but that’s what the extra power and suspension requires.

Viola1685

Reaction
I started out in a 1600 now race 10 and have been in class 1’s and tt and I can tell you from my experience you will not have a more fun time in a race car then behind the wheel of a 1600. They’re easy to work on. You can prep them yourself without too much outside needs. It’s a drivers class so all the cars are relatively the same. In my opinion you will get the best bang for buck and the most fun per dollar in 1600

offroadracer516

Reaction
1600 is far cheaper for sure. Can get a competitive used car for a good price. Vince covered most of the benefits. These days the 5 cars are faster. But that speed comes with a price $$$$ Plenty of 1600 content on here. Facebook Groups. Hope to see you out there.

Tipracer

Reaction
Everything listed above is true... 5u is faster at a cost... car counts in 16 are significantly higher.

tapeworm

Reaction
1600 comes with a lot of drama attached than 5 open. The 5 unlimited group is a much closer, tight knit group overall than the 1600 group but it does cost more to keep the 5 car running competitively. You’re going to have to prep the same parts on a 5 car as a 1600, but they cost a lot more to replace other than the motor.

Both classes will be competitive and fun. 1600 is consistently higher entries across multiple series, 5 is high entry numbers at the class 5 coalition races.

1600 drama is fun if you have thick skin and don’t care what other people say since It never affects you, class 5 drama is more cheeky and sarcastic. Some 1600 racers all stick together and share knowledge and help each other out, but it seems like class 5 as a whole class sticks together.

If budget is any sort of constraint, go with 1600 as you will have the money to always buy the competitive parts.There are more drivers in 1600 that can win any given race than 5 open, but the fast guys in class 5 drive just as hard as the 1600 cars. If you win the big races in either class you’re doing something right.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Also depends where you plan to race more often, US vs Baja? SNORE/MORE/BITD? CODE/RECORD/SCORE? Car counts will vary for 1600 and 5 open across orgs. For the most part 1600 seems to have more entries per org than 5 open.

Zac Reish

Reaction
I'm 40, and have been a baja bug fanatic since I was 15. I have raced 5, sportsman, 12, and in the last 5 years 10. I have just as much fun racing in class 5 as I do in 10. I started racing on and off when I was 18 for about 2 years and restarted racing consistently again when I was 29. 5 is a class you can race for the rest of your life and for some remain highly competetive. 1600 is (from a guy who sees who is winning) a young studs class. These guys are out for blood and (in my opinon) the bad asses of this sport. Looking back now I wish I had the experience of racing in 1600. So if you're young and want to try it I say go for 1600 but if you're mid 30's and thinking this will be a class you want to stay in and be in good/familiar company then 5 may be a better fit. I think for half of the guys who come into class 5 it is a stepping stone class. For 1600 it is almost 100% a stepping stone class You cant go wrong with either one. good luck.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Some good info here, thanks. Ill continue to do my due diligence in regards to both classes and try and make a sound decision when time gets closer.

ACME

Reaction
Flip side to Zac's comment is there are a lot of 1600 drivers that have stayed with the class and some where's it's been multi generational: Boyer, Hendrickson, Ziegler, Kennedy, Jones, Geer, Freeman to name a few

Tipracer

Reaction
Additionally, 16’s Can take an amazing amount of abuse,also look how many really top shelf guys have raced in 16 and then moved on to much faster classes with very good results... not knocking 5 car drivers at all... ask bean what he thinks , he’s been very competitive In both as well as TT... engines are also something to consider hi vs low compression vs ecotec(I think).. and transmissions vw box vs 5u options...parts availability and on and on... the choice is what your are comfortable with spending vs how fast you want to go

cubed

Reaction
How much difference in cost between a 5U and a class 10? It seems like a fairly comparable pile of parts.....

Zac Reish

Reaction
Top of the line 5 car if you were to build from scratch and have it pro built is going to be 80k to 160. Top of the line 10 car same way is $120-$250

Used you can get competetive 5 cars for 60 to 70k. You can get competetive 10 cars for 100-135k

Josh 8

Reaction
Which forum does Bro_Gill post less on? That could be the game changer for class decisions.
That would be anything about v-8 truck classes.

Last edited:

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Spend your money on hotel rooms at Estero Beach, tacos at Puablanos and beer at Papa's and Beer. Way better ROI then racing

cubed

Reaction
Still trying to figure out why he talked about class 10 costs. The guy never asked about class 10.
I asked about a class 10 because I have a hard time believing a 5U would be any significant amount cheaper to race
than a 10 car, isn't trans/engine/rear/suspension the same? Front is a beam vs A arms but I doubt that is cheaper.
I guess beyond nostalgia and the cool factor of 5U I dont really understand not just skipping to 10