• Forum membership has its advantages....

Looking to ID this car

Pacololo

Looks like a Hi Jumper.
Does it ring any bells for anyone?
Looking for any history or names attached to it.
Thanks in advance.

jsallenbach

Looks like it could be an old funco hustler. Lee Leighton was a really good engine builder back in the day. They raced a hustler before there raceco was built

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

hay fever

That car has Frank Snook and Dave Rogalia on the side panel. Looked it up on the Trackside photo website, found that car in the 1976 Baja 1000( the wet one), as well as the 1978 WRA 350. Just don't know when class 9 went IRS, but the arrangement of the mirrors, lights, bumper, etc., looks like the car. It was originally bought at an auction in Riverside, so that would make sense for Frank Snook to be the previous owner. In the photo from the WRA race, it was painted in the Uniroyal Laredos Paint scheme. Again, that would lead me to believe that to be true. I am not sure but that car could be a sister to the Jim Guthrie RS2 that was discussed earlier in this forum. Having that original 40 horse single port engine in it is still pretty cool.

Rory

Crayola Killer
That car has Frank Snook and Dave Rogalia on the side panel. Looked it up on the Trackside photo website, found that car in the 1976 Baja 1000( the wet one), as well as the 1978 WRA 350. Just don't know when class 9 went IRS, but the arrangement of the mirrors, lights, bumper, etc., looks like the car. It was originally bought at an auction in Riverside, so that would make sense for Frank Snook to be the previous owner. In the photo from the WRA race, it was painted in the Uniroyal Laredos Paint scheme. Again, that would lead me to believe that to be true. I am not sure but that car could be a sister to the Jim Guthrie RS2 that was discussed earlier in this forum. Having that original 40 horse single port engine in it is still pretty cool.

The original class 9 was basically a class 1 unlimited with a 1200cc VW motor. Now when i say class 1 unlimited I mean they were all pretty much the same back then, built like a modern day 1600 car but with a bigger motor (minus the by-pass shocks). Class 9 died out around 1984 and then the Challenger class was conceived in 1986-87ish......hence the new class 9 with swing axles.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
IIRC, Bill Savage built the T-Mag Challenger in 1984, and Class 9 switched to the BJ front/swinger rear limits not long thereafter.

Lots of shops built their own challenger class cars.

But this car is built to original Class 9 specs.

Bro_Gill

If that was Rogalia's car, then it was a winning 9 car. Also had some great sponsor history. Not only was it one of the Uniroyal Laredo team cars, but it was also sponsored by Jack in the Box during its history. I think it was called the 'Jumpin' Jack'. Anyway, great find for a NORRA rig.

Pacololo

Where did you find Tracksides website? I thought the site was down indefinitely?
Thanks for the info!