Looks the the new HDRA and SCORE rules just came out.

powerbox_builder

RDC Crypto
The problem with the old Score Class 10 is the big Honda. Look at the last Baja 500. You had Cullen running a 10 year old Alumcraft and you had Cops in a brand new racer with Dan Martin doing most of the driving and he lost to Cullen in every split you could get from IRC. Cops had a better car and a very good driver and they could not compete. The only time the Big Honda loses is when he wrecks or breaks. If he has a clean race he wins. If 4 and 10 go their current separate ways everyone in 4 will have to go with a Honda eventually and all the DI guys will realize this within a few races, I don't care who they are or how fast they are. If the big Honda runs a clean race it will beat the DI's. The reason Class 10 has gotten so successful is that the engines are so similar and cheap and everyone can put their energy into suspension tuning and going on a diet. I think HDRA should have copied Casey and forget about the big Honda. If 4 gets larger than 10 they will all soon be running a big Honda which will make it impossible to run BITD. With the current rules you will have to pick between BITD 10 or HDRA 4 and you won't be able to go back and forth. Or it seems easier and cheaper to have 2 engines DI and non-DI and the swap is pretty simple and race HDRA/Score 10 and BITD 10 until HDRA comes to their senses and copies Casey. It also seems like HDRA is smaller and they should be trying to take market share from BITD so they should make it easy for current BITD guys to do some HDRA races without being disadvantaged. I hope all the big names mentioned above with DI's read this and think about it. THEY HAVE THE WRONG ENGINE and will be disadvantaged vs the big Honda. This has been too much fun to go back to the old days of always swapping platforms and throwing money into new gearing etc. I for one think I will be racing in Score/HDRA 10 with my non-DI and hope other people do the logical thing. If Score/HDRA Class 4 seems more successful in 2013 I will switch to a big Honda, if Casey is more successful I will switch to a DI and only race BITD. If Score/HDRA 10 is more successful then we need to convince Jake to allow DI's in 10 and we can all competitively race both. Once again those would be Casey's rules. Either way this year will be a mess between the two racing bodies, hope HDRA corrects it all next year.

Why do you call it a big Honda? Its not any bigger?

TheGold

RDC Crypto
I was merely making a distinction between the K24 and the old B18 which is still Score/HDRA legal I believe. I was not trying to say it was any bigger than the Ecotec and I was not trying to deceive or lie. Although it does have 28% more HP than a standard Ecotec according to my research and a previous post. It is unfortunate that some people on this blog can't really engage in legitimate debates and have to call others liars or even worse compare them to our corrupt politicians. I feel I tried to present a balanced argument, and I represented my personal preference but also acknowledged some of the pros and cons of several positions. I think the latest HDRA choice will motivate a fragmented market between HDRA/K24 vs BITD/DI but that is just my view and I may be wrong. The engine suppliers will start to get orders in both i beleive. I will have to make a switch in the next 2 months and I will need to decide which body I want to race with. On another note I'm glad I don't participate much in all this high level profesional blog dialogue. A previous post described it as keyboard racing and that seems accurate. This thread had a lot of good input and views, too bad there are also people whose best argument is to insult like a 2cd grader. I guess I should have paid more attention to your own descrition of yourself, because you really do seem like you actually are "Smarter than Dirt!".

RDC Crypto
You called it the "Big Honda" several times and never even mentioned the B18 that you now say you were comparing it to. Why don't we just call it the "Assault Honda" to make it sound even more ominous. My point is (not singularly pointed at your comments) that most of the argument against other non-ecotec 2.4 liter motors, like the Honda, are intellectually dishonest and self serving.

Besides, I am just a keyboard racer and never claimed to be anything but "Smarter than Dirt" so I can't be taken seriously, can I?

tapeworm

RDC Crypto
How about we just get rid of the Acura motor, go 2.2 single seat 2.4 2 seater and call it done !? I really wish people woukd stop trying to screw with Class 10

Here is what I don't understand.... Most of the class 10 racers that post on here say, "leave the class 10 rules alone." A couple even say, "Make class 10 2.2 single seat, 2.4 two seat." They want a spec class. Score has had this spec class for years. If you only want to race against ecotecs race class 4. Thats what the rules are or that class as of now. Problem solved.

I also think the Honda B18 is still legal in all series. No one is racing with it though.

redline

RDC Crypto
you can text... makes your smart phone sat capable... http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116

Spot will only send one way though!
We got the Delorme inReach 2-way transmitters for the 1000 to try and they work awesome. Way better than Spot. Plus they can be used with just about any smart phone or Ipod touch. Send and recieve messages, track, plus have map showing where you are along with speed.

tofarnorth

RDC Crypto
Why not class 10 open to all 4cyl unlimited cars if you want to run a spec class run 4 or 3000.
not that I really care no dog in this fight but just saying..

swu chase1

RDC Crypto
The IRC box it worth a lot more than $275. Do you know all you can do with it? If you break down in the middle of nowhere in Baja you can press one button and be able to talk to someone on the other end of it. They can then relay to your team what part you need and where you are.

People at home can track where everyone is so your pits dont have to sit in the middle of nowhere with no clue where the race car is. You can also track the competition to see where they are at.

If you crash hard they are notified with a red alert and if you do not respond they are able to know your exact location and can send a medic to you ASAP. That means if you are knocked out and sitting upside down, someone is able to know about it!

Those devices are priceless and I do not see why people **
mexico-flag.png
¡Ay, caramba!****
mexico-flag.png
¡Ay, caramba!****
mexico-flag.png
¡Ay, caramba!****
mexico-flag.png
¡Ay, caramba!****
mexico-flag.png
¡Ay, caramba!** about paying for them. Trust me once you have to use it one time you will be a firm believer.

Wont my spot tracker do the same thing??? just saying

ndvalium

Rescue Director
RDC Crypto
Wont my spot tracker do the same thing??? just saying

Pretty sure Spot Tracker relies on you being able to hit a button - It does not reconize hard stops and "G" thresholds or inversion.

I can tell you that as the safety team for several organizations, I rely on the IRC when you guys need help. When we start getting mixed reports of a vehicle that is rolled over or someone injured almost always it will come in at a particula mile marker then minutes later it will be reported in another area. With IRC on the Race channel, they give us your location and status and often they can communicate with you as the team to see what help you need. Sometimes it saves from sending resources that arent needed, sometimes it allows us to send extra when needed - most importantly to me though it hass the ability to give me a fairly accurate location to send the resource.

IRC is not perfect - but it has many positives to having it.

TJERGENSEN

RDC Crypto
..Class 10 In bitd single seat can run 2.4 and 2.4 di. What can a single seat run in hdra/score ..its not clear in the addendum...;

nohandslance

RDC Crypto
..Class 10 In bitd single seat can run 2.4 and 2.4 di. What can a single seat run in hdra/score ..its not clear in the addendum...;
I'm sensing a resurrection of the Smith Built Buggy as a Class 10. Please say it is true!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Andy4

RDC Crypto
Single seat class 10 cars can run any engine up to a 2.2L with a max throttle body size of 58mm.

Double Down

RDC Crypto
Website
www.rogernormanracing.com
Oh great, another IRC kool-aid drinker. Make it optional. It is a neat toy - when it works. The only thing manditory should be the little recording boxes to enforce highway speeds and course compliance and those can be bought for under $100 so why can't the racers just pay a one time $100 fee for them? Because that would dip into Steve Meyers profits, that's why not.

IRC is in the entertainment business. And they have sold the concept on the back of supposed safety.

The safety features of having instant two way satelite communication as soon as you trip the G load sensor is worth it on it's own. If your sitting on course in the middle of nowhere with a broken back or some other critical issue you will be glad to have everyone know what has happened. I have had many instances where we have just been stopped and they ask if everything is ok through the speaker built in, when you answer you are talking to a michrophone also built into the unit. In some accidents you may not even be able to move to reach the microphone. With the IRC unit you do not have to touch anything to communicate. The unit also has a panic button so if your having a medical emergency of any kind you can notify officials. One of the most important things is that it allows the race director to take care of injuries instead of using those resources just to find out if someone is ok. The fact that you can use it to keep the playing field level by tracking everyone's course and have virtual checkpoints is a bonus. Another nice feature is having your friends, family and sponsors be able to track your position live from anywhere. Yes it is expensive but the system I have used for years (ION Earth) is double the cost per race and requires and requires a minimum investment of hardware at $11,000. As with all things electronic I believe the price will come down overtime. I was able to see a better system the other day but we do not know the cost involved yet.