• Forum membership has its advantages....

LOORRS 2018

9five9

Alright, some of us are too far north to be able to be around for the season opener (or any rounds for that matter). This off season has also been particularly quiet. So what’s the scoop on this season? Who’s in? Who’s out? What are the rumors? What is Carl doing now post-shortcourse? Does anyone have anything for Kyle in P4? Are there any old guys left in Pro Lite? Will buggies get any TV coverage? What you guys got?

acers

Rob Mac not racing pro4 this year just pro2 and Carl driving Bryces trucks this weekend. Strange start to the season already !!!!!!

BANNED4LIFE

I went...first time in years....wow, have things changed....half or less size field ....racing was ...ok....they did do a good job with track prep to keep the action moving....I hope the new unification can save the sport...

Dirty Harry

Rob Mac not racing pro4 this year just pro2 and Carl driving Bryces trucks this weekend. Strange start to the season already !!!!!!
Rob had the P4 there but said on FB that they had a transmission issue they were not able to fix in time to race. Guess he will have to settle for winning Pro2!

9five9

I went...first time in years....wow, have things changed....half or less size field ....racing was ...ok....they did do a good job with track prep to keep the action moving....I hope the new unification can save the sport...
I have purely a fan's perspective with no involvement other than watching and wishing I could one day compete. That being said, you're a guy with obvious knowledge and experience in the sport. What is it that's decreasing car counts? What causes big money teams to pull the plug?

BANNED4LIFE

I have purely a fan's perspective with no involvement other than watching and wishing I could one day compete. That being said, you're a guy with obvious knowledge and experience in the sport. What is it that's decreasing car counts? What causes big money teams to pull the plug?
hhhmmmm.....for me it was lack of sponsorship...had BIG sponsor, then dried up quick.....its on tv constantly, but does anyone watch it???....its VERY expensive to compete, VERY, so regular guys need sponsorship and a ton of it just to get there.....trustfunders generally dont last long because its super spendy and they generally dont have the talent so they quit because their skills are exposed for all to see......desert racing must easier to hide skills with huge money ....i dont really know exactly why its declining, its definitely NOT because its not fun to watch, IT IS......you tell me...

acers

Perfect example is Kincaid, excellent pro4 driver switching to pro2 this year. That leaves like 3 pro4 drivers in the midwest if they even race pro4 in midwest.

Joxracing

hhhmmmm.....for me it was lack of sponsorship...had BIG sponsor, then dried up quick.....its on tv constantly, but does anyone watch it???....its VERY expensive to compete, VERY, so regular guys need sponsorship and a ton of it just to get there.....trustfunders generally dont last long because its super spendy and they generally dont have the talent so they quit because their skills are exposed for all to see......desert racing must easier to hide skills with huge money ....i dont really know exactly why its declining, its definitely NOT because its not fun to watch, IT IS......you tell me...

Very on point with the trust fund topic!

Thats whats interesting with this sport. To go pro, all you need is money. Double edge sword. Lots of very good drivers that don't get their chance because of funding. But, if you have the finances that's all you need to compete at a high level. Very different dynamic than any other sport.

Joxracing

If I may chime in, it has a lot to do with money and ROI. But, you can also see car count decreasing in all disciplines of racing across the country.
What a lot of people have a hard time wrapping their head around is how expensive it actually is. Yes friends and fans hear racers (sportsman and pro) talk about the cost of off-road racing, but few understand how much it actually costs.
The next big thing after cost is the commitment and work that gets put it. Maintaining an offroad car (again, pro or sportsman) is a TON of work. I've had to explain many times to "well lubricated, confident bystanders" on the hill or in the pits that these cars are not stock cars, and no you can't just "go put one together and run up front next year" The amount of time and work that goes into these things can borderline make you sick of racing all together. I think a lot of people want to race, but once they get into the thick of it they realize that maybe this is a lot harder than it looks. You really have to have a deep love and passion for the sport to last in it, hell even to make your first race.

I think that, coupled with the "new generation" coming to age has some to do with declining car counts.

acers

If I may chime in, it has a lot to do with money and ROI. But, you can also see car count decreasing in all disciplines of racing across the country.
What a lot of people have a hard time wrapping their head around is how expensive it actually is. Yes friends and fans hear racers (sportsman and pro) talk about the cost of off-road racing, but few understand how much it actually costs.
The next big thing after cost is the commitment and work that gets put it. Maintaining an offroad car (again, pro or sportsman) is a TON of work. I've had to explain many times to "well lubricated, confident bystanders" on the hill or in the pits that these cars are not stock cars, and no you can't just "go put one together and run up front next year" The amount of time and work that goes into these things can borderline make you sick of racing all together. I think a lot of people want to race, but once they get into the thick of it they realize that maybe this is a lot harder than it looks. You really have to have a deep love and passion for the sport to last in it, hell even to make your first race.

I think that, coupled with the "new generation" coming to age has some to do with declining car counts.
Well said

dbq61537

Great point...

But let’s go one step further...

We as a society are becoming...how do I say this tactfully...more of an URBAN/SUBURBAN society. With less space, around their property, to have a garage, or extra building, so as to store our play toys...if we are living in a house at all. Our neighbors don’t want the noise, that can come from building and/or maintaining a race car...we are invading their quiet/safe space.

I know that, in my hometown...there’s a guy who loves DemoDerby. He has in the past, been harassed by the local PD, and his neighbors (all of whom moved in after him), for the fact he has a couple, of Derby cars, behind his house. He’s not polluting the neighborhood, causing a noise problem, a safety issue, or getting in the way of anyone else.

Also...

More of us, are living in Apartments and Condos. This means...zero space for the additional expense of a racing vehicle...if we can afford it. Garage space...if you can find it...is very expensive...here in the Midwest.

Add in the additional expense of, a tow trailer and vehicle...even if you rent one, only when you need it...can add up quickly.

I hope I didn’t come off as preachy?

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert mobile app

Joxracing

Great point...

But let’s go one step further...

We as a society are becoming...how do I say this tactfully...more of an URBAN/SUBURBAN society. With less space, around their property, to have a garage, or extra building, so as to store our play toys...if we are living in a house at all. Our neighbors don’t want the noise, that can come from building and/or maintaining a race car...we are invading their quiet/safe space.

I know that, in my hometown...there’s a guy who loves DemoDerby. He has in the past, been harassed by the local PD, and his neighbors (all of whom moved in after him), for the fact he has a couple, of Derby cars, behind his house. He’s not polluting the neighborhood, causing a noise problem, a safety issue, or getting in the way of anyone else.

Also...

More of us, are living in Apartments and Condos. This means...zero space for the additional expense of a racing vehicle...if we can afford it. Garage space...if you can find it...is very expensive...here in the Midwest.

Add in the additional expense of, a tow trailer and vehicle...even if you rent one, only when you need it...can add up quickly.

I hope I didn’t come off as preachy?

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert mobile app

I completely agree. Racing is hard, especially offroad. The resources, tooling and space for offroad is worse than any other form of racing. Instead of having a halfton pickup and open race trailer, you need a 3/4 diesel, an enclosed race trailer, an RV or camper along with someone to drive the RV or race trailer down. Its very tough, and without a supportive family, friends and team it could be impossible.

To keep up with building and prepping race trucks my garage has two mig welders, a tubing bender, numerous other fab tools along with all the "normal" tools you would find in a garage, and we still dont have everything we need. Than, add a race trailer to that and you need a duplicate set of tools for the trailer.
When you see a pro or sportsman team that looks like they have their sht together, just know it takes a lot of work and funds to get to that point.