• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic LOORRS Wheatland Race Report - Unofficial of course

Since I hadn't seen any comments, thought I give a fan/race promoter/old racer's point of you. I'm sure many have seen the pictures of the facility and videos of the racing action. Well, those pictures don't do this place justice.

Its fantastic! Just driving in you notice the organization, the cleanliness, the bazillion employees this place has.

Every worker I am across, (with the exception of the grouchy women at the camp shack) was pleasant, happy to help you and appeared to be happy to have us there.

Sure, it was 100 some degrees with the humidity of Satan's armpits, but it is Missouri, and it always gets hot and humid here during the summer.

The amount of equipment on hand to make track changes, I don't know how many water trucks this place has! Speaking of the water trucks, they must have practiced their routes out on the track, looked like a Shriner's parade and everything just seemed choreographed and probably could have set it to music!

The covered bleachers were packed both days! Super great view of the racing action.

We (Kansas City Off Road Racing Association) had a booth during the event. Trying to promote sportsman off road racing in not only the KC area, but certainly at the Lucas Oil facility. I mean I would think the ultimate goal there is to have regional racing right?

Spoke with many folks, we had a few race vehicles on display. A freshly built Ranger mini stock (Bro-Lite) owned by Jake Blum, a Turbo RZR racer owned by Jake Minden, and Trophy kart owned by Jason Jones and a vintage baja racing Bronco owned my Ed Gundenkauf. Both Ed and Jake Blum had just finished their trucks for this display and man we had some traffic through our booth!

Sure, the Baja bronco didn't "really" belong at a short course event some may argue. But actually it did! This thing is a part of all off road racing!

Some great racing action by all classes. I'm a buggy guy, so Pro Buggy is certainly a favorite of mine. Probably 2nd favorite would be the Pro Lite guys.

Favorite part of the weekend, was watching and listening to the fans. Every huge jump, every bump or rollover was so exciting to them. The West coast and Upper Midwest guys have seen the trucks, but think of all the new fans have never seen a truck fly 200 some feet! It was awesome listening to them.

My favorite quote I overheard was a girl, probably 10 or 11 years old, walking with her parents and she says, " I don't care how hot it is, this is freakin' awesome!"

Scott M
KCORRA

Attachments

Pro4orNothing

Plans fell apart to make the trip down, but I managed to catch the Sunday races on Lucas TV. From my vantage point, this is the best track on the LOORRS tour now...track produces some great racing, high speed but enough technical spots to promote close racing. The facility itself looks awesome, and turnout looked really good for a first year event. Hope it's just the beginning for LOORRS in the midwest.

PDANK Racing

Regretting not making the trip, track and facility looks phenomenal.

450grl

I am SO GLAD we made the trip, and I can't rave enough about the new track and the facility itself!! I LOVED the track!! We have needed a track like this for a while - long, technical, a little bit of everything, huge jumps, S-turns, whoops, all kinds of places to pass....9 turns....just a REALLY great track!! Facility is top notch - fans were amazing! The heat and humidity SUCKED, but we all stuck it out because everything else was just SO good! Vendors Row was PACKED with goodies - I missed out on the daqueri smoothies, but I heard they were the bomb! I would absolutely make this trip again and it would be a PERFECT track for the Cup Race!

PS - Not only did Lucas pay tow money, but they paid us all on Friday night after practice - no waiting for a check in the mail, just a great big THANK YOU in our hands, before the racing even started. Very cool and much appreciated by many of us!!

acers

I am SO GLAD we made the trip, and I can't rave enough about the new track and the facility itself!! I LOVED the track!! We have needed a track like this for a while - long, technical, a little bit of everything, huge jumps, S-turns, whoops, all kinds of places to pass....9 turns....just a REALLY great track!! Facility is top notch - fans were amazing! The heat and humidity SUCKED, but we all stuck it out because everything else was just SO good! Vendors Row was PACKED with goodies - I missed out on the daqueri smoothies, but I heard they were the bomb! I would absolutely make this trip again and it would be a PERFECT track for the Cup Race!

PS - Not only did Lucas pay tow money, but they paid us all on Friday night after practice - no waiting for a check in the mail, just a great big THANK YOU in our hands, before the racing even started. Very cool and much appreciated by many of us!!
Wheatland is on my bucket list. Hope you race crandon this year

havahockey

Flipper
The Wheatland race was great, track made for some great racing, everyone in the stands seemed pumped, and would expect the crowds to be bigger next year as word spreads. I think if they do it either earlier or later in the year even more people would go. I think Corry is right, with the tracks size it would make for a good Cup race, especially if its a weekend where some of the TORC guys could come and play too, but this year with it being a week after Bark River made it hard.

baja619

Nice report and thanks for sharing!

I always wanted to go to Lucas Oil Speedway.

Gary Plagman

Vintage baja racing Bronco owned by Ed Gundenkauf
That Bronco has a History Ed has brought it back to life.

BrettRI

I haven't seen/heard this much buzz after a short course race in a long time. It was an awesome event.. from the facility to the staff, the fans, and the track.. can't say enough about the track. Insane. Nice job to Lucas Oil for bringing it!

Dirty*

Some great reviews! I had a great time in Wheatland and was glad to be a small part of it.